Rega Mira 3 or Creek Evo 2 Amplifier?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently bought a Rega Apollo Cd player which is great and I've decided to keep my Monitor Audio Rs6 speakers but I find my NAD 355 amp too boomy in the bass and imaging isn't great. I also have to turn it up a bit for it to start to sound good, it doesn't sound great at low volume and I don't want to bother the neighbour by cranking it up too loud all the time. So I've decided to replace my NAD amp.

I was looking at a Rega Brio to replace it to start with but the 49 watt rating has put me off slightly with people saying it might struggle to drive my floorstander speakers well.

I then started looking at a Roksan Kandy K2 amp but I won't be able to stretch to £900 so I started aiming my sights a bit lower.

I've narrowed the search down and I'm thinking of getting one of these £600 amps to go with a Rega Apollo CD player and Monitor Audio Rs6 speakers.

Which would be best suited ? Which is the better amp? Or am I missing another possibly better alternative?

Rega Mira 3

a_12regamira1.jpg

Creek Evo 2

Creek_Evo2_Amp_front_black_1600.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Power isn't the be and end all. A good example is Roksan Caspian/Kandy. The cheaper amplifier is more powerful on paper but the the Caspian sounds more powerful according to the maker. It's how the power is delivered. On a similar note, that's why even some well made lower powered valve amplifiers can sound very solid, dynamic and powerful with the right speakers. Mine was used with Closed Box Ruarks, not particularely sensitive ones and I doubt many would have guessed that the (almost) live like sound was made by less than 30w/ch.

A

Anonymous

Now you have a shortlist i would suggest you go and listen to both amps or better still get a home demo, this will give you a true representation of what both these amps can do in your home enviroment
emotion-21.gif

matthewpiano

Excellent advice from THESTIG08. Doing anything other than auditioning now is guess work and you'll spend forever swapping and changing if you rely on that. Listen to someone who has learnt from experience!! Both those amps are very good and it will be down to your own personal preferences as to which will suit your needs the best.

Let us know how you get on!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice and you're right, it is quesswork if I don't audition. The only trouble is, like I said on another thread, living in North Wales, I live miles
away from the nearest authorised dealer, nearly an hour away. There used to be a dealer in my town in the early 90s and I used to borrow kit all the time but he's no longer in business and I'd have to go to Chester or Wrexham which are both miles away. Also and this is the sadddest bit, I'm trying to get the new amp without my wife's knowledge so auditioning kit at home would be hard to get away with! I managed to buy the Apollo CD player last month and when she noticed she wasn't too happy but I told her that my old CD player had packed in and the new one didn't cost much!

She'd think buying a new amp would be a waste of money so I'm trying to do it without her finding out!

I think the Mira amp would look best with the Apollo as they're a perfect match looks wise, the red LEDs would look well together BUT I do really like the look of the Creek too and from the very few reviews I've read, it does seem like a great amp and as plastic penguin said earlier it goes well with my Monitor Audio speakers.

I suppose I want to know is one of these amps significantly better than the other or would either be a better bet than the NAD I've already got?

I know auditioning would be best but unfortunately I don't think it will be possible
emotion-6.gif

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about telling the wife! Just sell the NAD on ebay, you'll probably get quite a good price. Then you can home demo without gilt of already having an amp. I like the look of the Creek.

A

Anonymous

Blackdawn:I wouldn't worry about telling the wife! Just sell the NAD on ebay, you'll probably get quite a good price. Then you can home demo without gilt of already having an amp. I like the look of the Creek.

Just what I was thinking this morning, I nearly started taking photos of the NAD to put on e-Bay while she was putting the washing on the line but she came in before I could get started
emotion-18.gif

I'll try again tomorrow when she's working.

emotion-2.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
My first amp with my RS6s was the original Evo. They matched up brilliantly. Ironically, the man who bought mine was replacing a Rega amp and he said there was no comparison. I think it was the Brio though.

A

Anonymous

As the happy owner of a Saturn and a Mira I can confirm that Rega products do look good together.

I cannot help you with regards to sound as this is my first CDP and amp, but I don't think I will ever see the need to buy another of either!

matthewpiano

If you really can't come clean with the other half and arrange a trip North to audition the amps, then I'd go with the Creek. It is a superb amp and both PP and Gerrard have had positive experience pairing Creek Evo amps with RS6s. I think it would be a much safer gamble than the Rega.

A

Anonymous

Being a Rega Cursa+Exon owner myself, I do not consider Rega a gamble - at least not today. I once "gambled", but it paid off - at least for me. It's an honest product. However, whether my choice of cables were wrong or not, I must say that I find my setup a bit restricted in the bass section.But as you say - there are other personal experiences saluting the other combination :)

Ric969:

I recently bought a Rega Apollo Cd player which is great and I've decided to keep my Monitor Audio Rs6 speakers but I find my NAD 355 amp too boomy in the bass and imaging isn't great. I also have to turn it up a bit for it to start to sound good, it doesn't sound great at low volume and I don't want to bother the neighbour by cranking it up too loud all the time. So I've decided to replace my NAD amp.

I was looking at a Rega Brio to replace it to start with but the 49 watt rating has put me off slightly with people saying it might struggle to drive my floorstander speakers well.

I then started looking at a Roksan Kandy K2 amp but I won't be able to stretch to £900 so I started aiming my sights a bit lower.

I've narrowed the search down and I'm thinking of getting one of these £600 amps to go with a Rega Apollo CD player and Monitor Audio Rs6 speakers.

Which would be best suited ? Which is the better amp? Or am I missing another possibly better alternative?

Rega Mira 3

a_12regamira1.jpg

Creek Evo 2

Creek_Evo2_Amp_front_black_1600.jpg

I would like to put forward a suggestion at this unearthly hour of the morning.

I'm presuming you've chosen these two amps because of their individual qualities, allied to price. Right, here goes: As previously said, the Creek is fantastic with RS6s (from personal experience). The Rega I've not heard, although the presentation is somewhat different to the Creek. The one major advantage the Rega has over the Creek is the input count eg. it has a very good phono stage, which is great if you (obviously) buy records....

Solution: Arcam A18. Has the sonic qualities of the Creek, similar price to the others you mentioned and has a great phono stage. Matthew loves his A18, I've had Arcams for 14 years, and there's nothing I've heard that synergises as well with RS6s (with the exception of the Creek).

Listen to all 3 and compare the differences on your MAs.

A

Anonymous

OK I'll have a good look at the Arcam A18 too.

A phono stage isn't something I need to be honest, the last vinyl I had was my Adam and the Ants records in the early 80s I think
emotion-8.gif

I've got hundreds of CDs though (not Adam and the Ants
emotion-5.gif
) so the Apollo will be my only source.

Ric969:

A phono stage isn't something I need to be honest, the last vinyl I had was my Adam and the Ants records in the early 80s I think
emotion-8.gif

emotion-5.gif

That's fine. The Arcam should be a cracking match for the Apollo. Also, I forgot to mention the Arcam and Creek are both excellent at idling levels - this is one issue I had with various amps I've tested. Hence one of the reasons why I chose Leema over other price-compatible amps. A lot of my music - and films - are played after my daughter goes to bed so blasting the neighbour's wall down at 10 or 11 pm at night isn't an option.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Ric969:

emotion-8.gif

emotion-5.gif

That's fine. The Arcam should be a cracking match for the Apollo. Also, I forgot to mention the Arcam and Creek are both excellent at idling levels - this is one issue I had with various amps I've tested. Hence one of the reasons why I chose Leema over other price-compatible amps. A lot of my music - and films - are played after my daughter goes to bed so blasting the neighbour's wall down at 10 or 11 pm at night isn't an option.

That's great PP I've got three young daughters and I like to listen at lower volumes when they've gone to bed, this is an area where the NAD doesn't perform too well, so the Creek and Arcam amps could be just what I'm after
emotion-1.gif

matthewpiano

Fully agree with PP's comment about low level listening. It is very important for me because I live in an appartment, and the Arcam really delivers at low levels, even driving my 84dB sensitivity B&Ws.

matthewpiano:Fully agree with PP's comment about low level listening. It is very important for me because I live in an appartment, and the Arcam really delivers at low levels, even driving my 84dB sensitivity B&Ws.

Matthew, when you decide to change speakers have a very good listen to MAs. I heard RS1 all the way to GR10s on my A65+ and all the MAs seem to give the Arcam an extra 5% in overall sound quality, certainly outperformed its £400 price tag. If you do and you disagree, I'll personally bring back (for one day only) public boiling and I will braise myself on a low heat for 10 minutes....lol.

matthewpiano

Thanks PP. The 686s are only new so it will be some time before I make any changes. They take a bit of work regarding positioning but now I've got it right (with plenty of space around them) they are sounding superb. I sometimes like to have an alternative speaker 'in stock' so-to-speak so I may keep my eyes open for a good second hand deal on some RS1s at some point.

A

Anonymous

I've been looking at some Arcam amps and there's an Arcam Diva A85 on e-Bay for £360 should I go for it?

I've been looking at some old (2003) What Hi-Fi magazines and these amps were £800 and award winners, very highly rated.

Ric969:

I've been looking at some Arcam amps and there's an Arcam Diva A85 on e-Bay for £360 should I go for it?

I've been looking at some old (2003) What Hi-Fi magazines and these amps were £800 and award winners, very highly rated.

The A85 is an excellent machine, but I haven't heard it since 2005 so I couldn't tell you how it stacks up against the A18. The other point is, there are a few on here who wouldn't spend more than £300 on an A85 that retailed at around £850 - and that's 7 or 8 years old.

It is tricky, because it is (or was) a very good amplifier.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Ric969:

The A85 is an excellent machine, but I haven't heard it since 2005 so I couldn't tell you how it stacks up against the A18. The other point is, there are a few on here who wouldn't spend more than £300 on an A85 that retailed at around £850 - and that's 7 or 8 years old.

Yes, I know exactly what you're saying, that's why I'm in two minds. I'll not rush into it but I thought I'd ask to be sure. I'll wait and save for one of the newer models, Arcam A18 or Creek Evo 2.

Ric969:plastic penguin:Ric969:

Yes, I know exactly what you're saying, that's why I'm in two minds. I'll not rush into it but I thought I'd ask to be sure. I'll wait and save for one of the newer models, Arcam A18 or Creek Evo 2.

The alternative is, if you don't mind wheeling and dealing on auction sites, to buy the A85 and compare it with the A18 or the Creek, and if the newer models are better sounding, re-sell the A85 back on Ebay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts