Rega Mira 3 or Creek Evo 2 Amplifier?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Ric969:plastic penguin:Ric969:

I've been looking at some Arcam amps and there's an Arcam Diva A85 on e-Bay for £360 should I go for it?

I've been looking at some old (2003) What Hi-Fi magazines and these amps were £800 and award winners, very highly rated.

The A85 is an excellent machine, but I haven't heard it since 2005 so I couldn't tell you how it stacks up against the A18. The other point is, there are a few on here who wouldn't spend more than £300 on an A85 that retailed at around £850 - and that's 7 or 8 years old.

It is tricky, because it is (or was) a very good amplifier.

Yes, I know exactly what you're saying, that's why I'm in two minds. I'll not rush into it but I thought I'd ask to be sure. I'll wait and save for one of the newer models, Arcam A18 or Creek Evo 2.

What area of the country do you live, Ric?

A

Anonymous

Dunno how much it will help but i previously had a NAD 326 BEE and replaced it with the Creek Evo 2. The NAD was giving the same problems with booming and did my head in. Creek is a breathe of fresh air, like previously mentioned low volume levels sound good. Never heard it with RS6's so couldn't comment onwhat it sounds like with them. Still tinkering with my system possible speaker swap tho im moving house next month and have more space for my Quads so gonna see how they sound then before a decison. No experience with the Rega amps but again couldn't be more delighted with the Creek

A

Anonymous

Audition before you spend any money. I've not heard the Creek, but have been favourably impressed by Rega amps recently - not as uninteresting as Arcam tend to be.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
Just noticed this A18 for sale, for a £89 more than the A85.

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/store/midlands/nottingham/clearance.aspx

Thanks for the link Plastic Penguin, I live in North Wales. Unfortunately not close enough to any dealers, I'd have to come up with an excuse as to why I'm going to Nottingham, it wouldn't work my wife would think I'm having an affair because I couldn't tell her I'm going there to buy a new amp
emotion-10.gif

Ric969:plastic penguin:

Just noticed this A18 for sale, for a £89 more than the A85.

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/store/midlands/nottingham/clearance.aspx

Thanks for the link Plastic Penguin, I live in North Wales. Unfortunately not close enough to any dealers, I'd have to come up with an excuse as to why I'm going to Nottingham, it wouldn't work my wife would think I'm having an affair because I couldn't tell her I'm going there to buy a new amp
emotion-10.gif

Understanable - I bought my Leema from Sevenoaks in Brighton (approx 60 miles away) and they said I could return it within 7 days with a full refund if unhappy. In addtion to this, as new unit it'll come with a full warranty.

Good luck, pp

A

Anonymous

I've been reading a few reviews of the original Creek Evo and it seems like a cracking amp but my only worry is that I've read it is a bit bright in the treble, is this right? If it is, I'd probably prefer the Rega Mira as it's supposed to be more laid back, and with the Monitor Audio speakers being a tad bright, would hopfully tame the brightness a bit.

A couple of posters praised the Creek and Monitor Audio combination so I'd tend to go by those comments that the Creek isn't too bright.

Trouble is after reading as much as I can over the weekend about both amps I'm imagining what the amps sound like and in my head the Rega is a warm laid back amp but perhaps a bit dull and the Creek is more detailed and more lively but possibly bright amp.
Is the Creek and especially the Evo 2 a smoother more neutral sounding amp than the reviews suggest?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ric969:
I've been reading a few reviews of the original Creek Evo and it seems like a cracking amp but my only worry is that I've read it is a bit bright in the treble, is this right? If it is, I'd probably prefer the Rega Mira as it's supposed to be more laid back, and with the Monitor Audio speakers being a tad bright, would hopfully tame the brightness a bit.

A couple of posters praised the Creek and Monitor Audio combination so I'd tend to go by those comments that the Creek isn't too bright.

Trouble is after reading as much as I can over the weekend about both amps I'm imagining what the amps sound like and in my head the Rega is a warm laid back amp but perhaps a bit dull and the Creek is more detailed and more lively but possibly bright amp.
Is the Creek and especially the Evo 2 a smoother more neutral sounding amp than the reviews suggest?

The Evo bright? No, no, no. Liquid smooth.

A

Anonymous

You seem to like the idea of the mira 3 and to be honest its excellent, if you can't demo then i would look at buying one off e-bay, they go for around the £400 mark in mint condition, if you love it keep it, if not re-sell it at the same price and take a gamble with the creek using the same method.

I have the mira 3 with the kit in my signiture and its absolutly superb (even at low levels), you won't be dissapointed pairing up with the apollo IMO.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Ric969:

Thanks for that
emotion-2.gif

To be honest I can't even find the reviews saying it's bright now
emotion-10.gif

The only one I've found is this one from Techradar but even that is actually praising it's approach
emotion-5.gif

Midrange
and treble tonality seems to be an interesting area. Subsequent
listening confirmed that the higher frequencies are a shade bright in
simple music, but basically neutral in busy stuff, the reverse of the
more common finding that some amplifiers become bright when the treble
is busy.

On the whole, we'd find the Creek's opposite approach
preferable, as it merely highlights treble a touch with such recordings
as lone voice and guitar, while avoiding stridency in grandiose
climaxes.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/amplifiers/creek-evolution-amplifier-452001/review#ixzz127zwGIHI

A

Anonymous

THESTIG08:
You seem to like the idea of the mira 3 and to be honest its excellent, if you can't demo then i would look at buying one off e-bay, they go for around the £400 mark in mint condition, if you love it keep it, if not re-sell it at the same price and take a gamble with the creek using the same method.

I have the mira 3 with the kit in my signiture and its absolutly superb (even at low levels), you won't be dissapointed pairing up with the apollo IMO.

Good luck!

Thanks Stig, great advice
emotion-1.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ric969:Gerrardasnails:Ric969:

Thanks for that
emotion-2.gif

To be honest I can't even find the reviews saying it's bright now
emotion-10.gif

The only one I've found is this one from Techradar but even that is actually praising it's approach
emotion-5.gif

Midrange
and treble tonality seems to be an interesting area. Subsequent
listening confirmed that the higher frequencies are a shade bright in
simple music, but basically neutral in busy stuff, the reverse of the
more common finding that some amplifiers become bright when the treble
is busy.

On the whole, we'd find the Creek's opposite approach
preferable, as it merely highlights treble a touch with such recordings
as lone voice and guitar, while avoiding stridency in grandiose
climaxes.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/amplifiers/creek-evolution-amplifier-452001/review#ixzz127zwGIHI

That's from HiFi Choice when they pitted it against sub £1k amps and only the Cambridge Audio 840A v2 beat it (and that's a £800 amp).

A

Anonymous

I've been experimenting with speaker bungs to see if that helps reduce the boom and it's made quite a bit of difference :)

I put the supplied foam bungs in the front ports and I've put some pipe insulation in the rears, I've also moved the speakers slightly and the bass is far less boomy.

I still fancy getting a new better amp though now that I've been looking at them for a few days and

I'm sure the Creek amp will be a better amp than the NAD so I'm still going to go ahead
emotion-5.gif

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Ric - don't know if you went with the Creek in the end, but it looks like Rega are now running a promotion on both the Brio 3 (£248) and Mira 3 (£448). I don't think the promo has been publicised that widely yet (I happened to notice it online yesterday), though it's worth checking with your nearest Rega dealer. At this price, they're a steal!

Are Rega working on updates to both amps and so looking to clear the existing stock - anyone know anything about this?

A

Anonymous

Cold Roses:

Ric - don't know if you went with the Creek in the end, but it looks like Rega are now running a promotion on both the Brio 3 (£248) and Mira 3 (£448).

Unwelcome news for someone like me who paid full MRP for a Mira3 four weeks ago!!!

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
byronmorris:Cold Roses:

Ric - don't know if you went with the Creek in the end, but it looks like Rega are now running a promotion on both the Brio 3 (£248) and Mira 3 (£448).

Unwelcome news for someone like me who paid full MRP for a Mira3 four weeks ago!!!

I know exactly how you feel - I actually bought my Apollo literally a month before it was reduced by over £100 last year. Sucks initially, but I'm glad to say it hasn't spoilt my overall enjoyment of the player.

Might be worth having a word with your Hi Fi dealer. Doubt they'll be able to refund you any money seeing as it's four weeks, though it may buy you a bit of goodwill (a discount or something) on the next item you purchase.

A

Anonymous

Cold Roses:
Ric - don't know if you went with the Creek in the end, but it looks like Rega are now running a promotion on both the Brio 3 (£248) and Mira 3 (£448). I don't think the promo has been publicised that widely yet (I happened to notice it online yesterday), though it's worth checking with your nearest Rega dealer. At this price, they're a steal!

Are Rega working on updates to both amps and so looking to clear the existing stock - anyone know anything about this?

Hi, I had to wait until at least payday (today) before I could get the new amp so a couple of days ago I put my NAD on e-Bay and it sold yesterday. Whilst I was on e-Bay I looked for Rega Mira amps hoping to get a good price for one in good condition and I saw that a few online dealers were selling the Mira new for £448 that's £150 off the retail price so my focus switched from the Creek to the Rega. It looks like I'll be going for the Rega at that price
emotion-5.gif

Ric969:Cold Roses:

Hi, I had to wait until at least payday (today) before I could get the new amp so a couple of days ago I put my NAD on e-Bay and it sold yesterday. Whilst I was on e-Bay I looked for Rega Mira amps hoping to get a good price for one in good condition and I saw that a few online dealers were selling the Mira new for £448 that's £150 off the retail price so my focus switched from the Creek to the Rega. It looks like I'll be going for the Rega at that price
emotion-5.gif

Oooh, it's a little high risk strategy - no doubt the Rega is fabulous amp but not confident when it comes matching with RS6 speakers and/or idle levels. The Creek, on the other hand, is superb with MAs and very low volumes. For a few quid more, if you are risking without auditioning, then this one is better bet - unless someone knows about the synergy issue.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/audio-emotion-ltd

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Ric969:Cold Roses:

emotion-5.gif

Oooh, it's a little high risk strategy - no doubt the Rega is fabulous amp but not confident when it comes matching with RS6 speakers and/or idle levels. The Creek, on the other hand, is superb with MAs and very low volumes. For a few quid more, if you are risking without auditioning, then this one is better bet - unless someone knows about the synergy issue.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/audio-emotion-ltd

Yes, I saw the Creek Evo 2 on e-Bay, great price. I was leaning towards the Creek to begin with but even before the Rega Mira was reduced I started drifting back towards the Rega again, the price drop swung it. I've bought the Mira now and it's going to look great with the Apollo and even if it doesn't match up too well with the Monitor Audio speakers ( I think it will after reading a lot of comments over the last few days) then I'll eventually get some Rega speakers like the R3. I've decided to go with a one make separates system after years of mixing and matching and trying to get them to gel.

To be honest, after reading all the good comments about the Creek Evo, I was regretting going for the Rega Apollo and wishing I'd gone for the Creek Evo2 CD player and amp combination which would have been great with ther Rs6 speakers, but as I did have the Apollo, I decided to go with the Rega amp.

I'll let you know how the Rega pairing match up with the Monitor Audios when it arrives in the next few days
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

just seen the mira 3 reduced to £330 at my local hi fi store "brand new", at that price its a no brainer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts