Rega groove tracking issues

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Help! I have problems with my Rega Planar 1, it isn't playing properly. There are skips all over the place, where it falls into a groove and can't get out. The simple solution is I press the headshell a tiny bit, but it gets tiring after a while. I have the cartridge alignment spot on. The tracking weight is at 1.66 grams with no way to increase, the counterweight is at the band. This happens on almost every record. However when the record is played in the store, it simply is beautiful.

I think there's a problem with the antiskate, it pulls outwards. I tried this on a cd-rom

I use the Bias 2 Cartridge.

priam said:
Help! I have problems with my Rega Planar 1, it isn't playing properly. There are skips all over the place, where it falls into a groove and can't get out. The simple solution is I press the headshell a tiny bit, but it gets tiring after a while. I have the cartridge alignment spot on. The tracking weight is at 1.66 grams with no way to increase, the counterweight is at the band. This happens on almost every record. However when the record is played in the store, it simply is beautiful.

I think there's a problem with the antiskate, it pulls outwards. I tried this on a cd-rom

I use the Bias 2 Cartridge.

Not sure I understand fully what you mean. When the record is played in the store do you mean on your turntable or a different one?

I tried this on a CD Rom? Tried what?

The ideal tracking weight for that cartridge is 1.75 and I would be tempted to use it a little bit higher than that even. I assume you have digital scales if you can measure 1.66g. Your arm should be able to apply this sort of downforce unless you have the wrong counterweight fitted.

If you suspect anti skate the turn it to zero.... I never did like Regas method of setting this.

If all else fails take it back to dealer for inspection, it may be faulty.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
priam said:
Help! I have problems with my Rega Planar 1, it isn't playing properly. There are skips all over the place, where it falls into a groove and can't get out.

It's not supposed to 'get out'. It's supposed to stay in all the way to the end.

priam said:
The simple solution is I press the headshell a tiny bit, but it gets tiring after a while.

Is this true? You apply a little pressure to the headshell whilst the record is playing? Long enough for it to become tiring?

I am dreading how much force that is. Apply the same force to a stylus balance/scales with your finger and let us know what it comes to.

Please don't tell the dealer about applying extra force this way!

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Hey Chebby, what I meant was it keeps repeating itself along the same groove, there's a visible shift when viewing the cartridge.

PS. When applying a little force, it gets to the point where the sound is distorted to get it pass whatever barrier it encounters.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I do have a digital scale, however save from attaching a coin to the tonearm I can't add more counterweight, it has reached its maximum point.
In regards to the antiskate, it seems the Planar 1 tonearm was designed to work without one. I tried out the anti-skate feature on a cd-rom, to see if it was working.

When I heard it in the shop it was on a different turntable.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ensure the platter is level side-to-side (and back to front) with a boat level or similar.

Re-do the geometry and re-balancing from scratch. Remember - if using any non-Rega supplied protractor - that you need a Stevenson alignment not the more usual Baerwald geometry. (Rega's headshell slots won't allow enough overhang for that.)

The last time I was setting up a Rega (P2 from 2007 with Rega Bias then Ortofon Blue) I used the 'VinylEngine' Stevenson (Rega) protractor.

chebby said:
Ensure the platter is level side-to-side (and back to front) with a boat level or similar.

Re-do the geometry and re-balancing from scratch. Remember - if using any non-Rega supplied protractor - that you need a Stevenson alignment not the more usual Baerwald geometry. (Rega's headshell slots won't allow enough overhang for that.)

The last time I was setting up a Rega (P2 from 2007 with Rega Bias then Ortofon Blue) I used the 'VinylEngine' Stevenson (Rega) protractor.

Take the deck into a dealer. It sounds like there is a tonearm or cartridge fault.

Your stylus is clean I take it??

Apologies chebby, that should have been a Reply not a Quote.....

If it is jumping the groove I'm confident that alignment has nothing to do with it. Skipping is much more basic:- damaged or dirty stylus would be first port of call if tracking weight is correct.

Is it skipping forwards or back? Is there anything touching the record that shouldn't be, such as the leads to the headshell/arm?

PS. Anti skate does apply gentle force away from the centre spindle, because geometry naturally pulls arm inwards.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Find a person who can show you how to set up the turntable correctly, or ask the dealer to show you. There are probably training guides on YouTube as well, if not for your specific turntable then for a similar one. I can't help but feel there's nothing wrong here but user error.

MajorFubar said:
Find a person who can show you how to set up the turntable correctly, or ask the dealer to show you. There are probably training guides on YouTube as well, if not for your specific turntable then for a similar one. I can't help but feel there's nothing wrong here but user error.

I still think its either a dirty stylus / b*ggered suspension or a fault in the anti-skate mechanism. The first is easily checked the latter requires the arm to be re-balanced with zero downforce and see if you can get arm to move inwards and outwards using the anti-skate knob.

Knowing Rega tonearms, if the correct downforce is set, the anti-skate has little apparent effect on the tracking - unless it is U/S.

This may vary between tonearms and it would be nice to know which on is actually fitted, i.e. is the deck an old Planar 1 or an RP1. I am guessing the latter and if so the 110 tonearm could be the problem as I presume the 'automatic bias' they talk about refers to the anti-skate function.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Rega being Rega, there's no anti-skate knob on the RB110. There's literally ******-all I can do about it. Stylus is pretty new, had problems with the pre-fitted Carbon too though.

PS. It skips backwards, I have yet to see it skip forward. Sometimes it just tracks only one groove, it sort of falls into the groove and doesn't move on.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Not an expert in this stuff at all, but I'll just leave a thought, because something similar happened to me the other day adn caused skipping:

Could it be that the tone-arm lifting mechanism is sticking part-way down and not allowing the needle to really sit in the bottom of the groove, or not allowing it to exert its full tracking weight? Mine got stuck half-way the other day and I didn't notice, and it caused skipping across the surface.

Best thing I can think to check this is to release the lifting mechanism with the catridge over to outside the edge of the platter, and see if it satisfyingly sinks to well below the surface of the platter. If it gets stuck at around the level of the record surface, that might be your problem.

Probably a long shot, but just mention it in case.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
priam said:
Less than 1 degree of difference on all sides of the platter. The alignment is Stevenson, from Vinyl Engine, with the curved protactor.

Quite possibly then Al Ears is correct and you just simply have a dodgy unit. I'd take it back rather than mess with it further and risk your dealer saying you've been messing with it.

MajorFubar said:
priam said:
Less than 1 degree of difference on all sides of the platter. The alignment is Stevenson, from Vinyl Engine, with the curved protactor.

Quite possibly then Al Ears is correct and you just simply have a dodgy unit. I'd take it back rather than mess with it further and risk your dealer saying you've been messing with it.

I may well be wrong Major but your advice is correct. Why people buy these starter turntables I don't know especially the likes of this Rega with it's auto-bias. It's like it is good to go with the cartridge as fitted but attempt to swap that out and you are up the creek....

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah confession time I had no idea of this auto bias thingy and assumed it was like the Debut which uses the old tried and tested weight on a string method.

MajorFubar said:
Yeah confession time I had no idea of this auto bias thingy and assumed it was like the Debut which uses the old tried and tested weight on a string method.

Weight on a string? By golly Sir that's far to technical for the youth of the day that require plug-and-play capability... ;-)

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Priam,

The anti-skate on a Planar 1 is pre set for cartridges that track at c1.75 gms, like all Rega Cartrdiges.

You say that you had problems with the Carbon and now with a Bias, who replaced the cartridge and were they aware of the original problems with the Carbon ?

Was a Rega Franchised dealer involved ?

There are so many questions and inponderables that more info is required before we can effect a solution and before the blame can be reasonably lain at our door.

Please let me know more so we can help you and ensure your complete satisfaction.

Best Regards,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
stereoman said:
I don't wanna sound cruel (I have respect for Rega) , but go to the shop, buy yourself TEAC TN300 and you will get great sound with no hassle...
is a really crap, cheapo turntable. Why anyone would recommend such a deck with a poor tonearm and questionable performance is beyond me. Yes, it looks good on first sight, but look closely and you'll see it's a sheep.

Frankly, decks like the Rega Planar 3 or Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB are the entry level for decent new turntables now, but you'd still be better off buying a secondhand Thorens like a TD 150 or 160 as the performance is so much better.

avole said:
stereoman said:
I don't wanna sound cruel (I have respect for Rega) , but go to the shop, buy yourself TEAC TN300 and you will get great sound with no hassle...
is a really crap, cheapo turntable. Why anyone would recommend such a deck with a poor tonearm and questionable performance is beyond me. Yes, it looks good on first sight, but look closely and you'll see it's a sheep.

Frankly, decks like the Rega Planar 3 or Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB are the entry level for decent new turntables now, but you'd still be better off buying a secondhand Thorens like a TD 150 or 160 as the performance is so much better.

Possibly so but the OP wants to know what's wrong with his RP1, he has never mentioned buying something else.

TRENDING THREADS