Rega Elicit mk5 4ohm: overheating is real 😟

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Fandango Andy

Well, gonna do a scientific test @Stuart83 🙂

I’ve got the morning off, it’s humid & I’ve got my furry assistant to help me assess a load of music at a decent volume. Let’s see how it goes.

@abacus one of the selling points of the Rega is how muscular it is. These Elacs have 88db sensitivity, so not hard to drive.

IMG-4642.jpg
There is no reason in the specs for overheating. Can you borrow some equipment from somewhere to see if you can isolate the problem - drive those speakers with a different amp; try different speakers with your amp?

Also look at the location of the amp. Cooling is more about airflow than ambient temperature, try getting out from under the unit where its own heat is being reflected back.

Finally, totally unconnected, but out of curiosity: I'm not familiar with your speakers, do they work well that close to the wall?

Gray

There is no reason in the specs for overheating. Can you borrow some equipment from somewhere to see if you can isolate the problem - drive those speakers with a different amp; try different speakers with your amp?

Also look at the location of the amp. Cooling is more about airflow than ambient temperature, try getting out from under the unit where its own heat is being reflected back.

Finally, totally unconnected, but out of curiosity: I'm not familiar with your speakers, do they work well that close to the wall?
It's history Andy.
See post #164.
Can't blame you for not reading every single post....but it does help 👍

Yes I put it up for sale last night on the TradeMe auction site (NZ's own version of eBay).

I want to be up front so added this disclaimer to my listing:

Delivers 105 W per channel into 8 ohm loads (127 W into 6 ohm). NOT RECOMMENDED for 4 ohm speaker loads by the manufacturer or this seller.

Despite that, I've had some interest already. It will sell.
The Audio Science Review site has reviewed the cheaper Rega io and found overheating issues, so Rega seem to be serial offenders about inadequate heat sink provision and poor design for lower impedance speakers.

Surprising that WHF have never noticed.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts