Rega Brio-R heat

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
This weekend I finally got my new amp warmed up with some decent volume levels (for reference about 10 or 11 o'clock)

Playing via my V-Dac it sounded great— Premiers Symptomes blew me away — and OK Computer had stuff in the mix I had never heard before.

The amp sits in on a shelf with about an inch clearance above it — and it was decidedly hot after an extended listening session.

Hot as in "if I press my hands either side it gets uncomfortable after a few seconds"

I figure that the small chassis is going to get a fair bit warmer — but the power output is 50W so I was expecing it to stay cool based on my speakers being reasonably easy to drive (I presume they are)

So what is hot and what is warm for this amp?

James

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
I think it would be better for the Rega to have a bit more ventilation than you've given it. We've never got it that hot in our listening rooms, and that's not for a lack of trying.

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
David — 10 to 11 o'o'clock

I've moved the shelf down a bit so it has a fair bit more ventilation — a good few inches now. Not yet had a chance to listen to it properly again to assess heat.

i guess it was reasonably optimistic in that position.

The light cooking does seem to have done wonders for the sound - finally broken in.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Apologies, I've just seen that in your first post - skimming again... :)

I wouldn't have thought that a shelf an inch above it would have had that drastic an effect on what the Brio-R is doing, seeing as it doesn't have any ventilation holes or grilles. I could understand it getting a little warmer, but not to the extent you describe based on the volume you're listening at. The B&W's do drop to 4ohms I believe, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue unless you were nearer 12 o'clock or further.

Give the new position a go and see how you get on.

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think it would make much difference either - certainly not hot at all at lower volumes in that position.

My father has a Cyrus amp that is kept in a drawer — cool as anything.

Won't be able to listen at decent levels until the weekend again — will report back.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Those B&W speakers have a minimal impedance of 3ohms. If you were playing a little louder, it could be that the amp was struggling to keep up where the impedance drops, but that depends on how stable the amp is.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The ability to drive low impedances and remain composed, without heating up to unnatural levels. While the Brio-R won't be the best amp to drive a speaker that dips to 4ohms or less, it shouldn't have too much of a problem, especially if it isn't being used above the 11 o'clock mark. If you have something to read the amplifier's temperature, you could then check with Rega to see if this is within its normal operating temperature.

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I was too lazy to get my IR laser guided temp gun :)

A surprisingly handy gadget that has a new hifi usage it seems.

Will keep it on hand for next time.

I leave my amp on all day - just had a feel and it's most certainly warm considering the volume is turned down and it's not playing anything.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm no expert regarding operating temps but my old Nad used to heat up after a good listening session and my newer Arcam does too. As long as there is space for your kit to breath, you should be fine!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts