Rega Brio R burn in time passed

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

As my Brio R is now 'officially burned in' (if that's even possible) I'd like to share my thoughts on it.

Originally I already was a fan. That's the reason I bought it in the first place. As someone being a liitle bit sceptic about the concept of 'burning in' I really have to admit that the Brio R has improved even more. I never had so much bass before. It's smooth and silky and I even started to like music I didn't care that much before. Joss Stone's Mind Body & Soul on the Brio is really exciting.

So.... no 'negative points' then? Yes:

1. the Brio R isn't as forgiving as my old amp with respect to bad recordings. So I've found a few (new ones) in my collection :-(

2. volume control resolution. Why do hifi brands to the same with a volume control as car manufacturers do with speedometers? I never had the volume control beyond 12, and believe me (ask my neighbours) I play at high volume levels :)

But it is definitely my best buy from 2011. I'm very happy with it, and it made me an instant 'Rega lover'. Never heard of the brand before 2011 actually :)

Regards,

A

Anonymous

go to hear, just ordered the Rega Brio and Rega DAC to hook up to my ZP90 and Bowers and Wilkins CM1's, cant wait to see what they produce.

A

Anonymous

It's interesting to see post's about new system's, nearly all are dac based, although cd player's will be around for many year's, it's clear there is now a shift to streaming and file storage music.

Laceybloke

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
valleyboy74 said:
go to hear, just ordered the Rega Brio and Rega DAC to hook up to my ZP90 and Bowers and Wilkins CM1's, cant wait to see what they produce.

I was considering using the Brio-R and the Rega DAC alongside a ZP90, so I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the combination. At the moment, I can't shake the feeling that the £270 ZP90 isn't a worthy source for the rest of the components - but I guess it's really only acting like a "transport" and the DAC is doing all the work.

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
my one week old Brio R is still in burning in period After first 100 hours I hope I'll be happy as you are :)

but so far disappointment , or b&w is not a good match for rega sfuff . the smooth warm sound ...... I can not hear it yet .

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
As you buy the DAC also indeed the ZP90 is working as a transport and nothing more. I even a cheaper solution for streaming. But it's the DAC that makes the difference. Before I had mine the Squeezebox wasn't up to par with my old Marantz 63KI. But with the DAC.... it sounded way better. Haven't touched my CD player since :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
The explanation I always got for the volume control is that not all inputs are as strong as CD players, and different sources (record players?) might need to be turned up more. I've generally found that for CD players it gets close to clipping around the 12 o'clock mark, but I do have some very quiet CDs that need to be around the 10-11 mark.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts