Rega brio r and Quad 22L2 - a good match?

jimmylee73

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

My current set-up is Roksan Kandy MK111, Beresford Caiman gator and Quad 22L2.

Am think of swapping Roksan for Rega Brio R amp.

Any opinions on weather I will see an improvement in sound quality?

I listen to lots of genre's but vocals/accoustic are important as is a nice tight bass.

To me my current setup sounds a bit thin and lacking in body/warmth but that could be more down to room accoustics; highish ceiling, suspended bare timber floor, minimal furniture, speakers in chimney breast alcoves (18" off back wall, 20" from side walls)

Cheers,

Jamie

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jamie

IMO You currently have a match where the forwardness of the amp would exacerbate the speaker's tendency towards brightness, all in a room that's far from ideal (acoustically).

So you have 3 choices: Change amp; change speakers; or change both.

Which component you should change, depends on the one that is contributing most to your problem.....and that should be a trial and error process by demoing kit.

The Brio-R will definitely give a different (though not necessarily "better") presentation.

Your other choice is to try different speakers like Dynaudio, Spendor or Proac.

If your speakers are on a suspended floor, you need to isolate them from it, using granite or better still Auralex Grammas.

Try to "deaden" the room with rugs/soft furnishings/curtains etc

Are you using lossless files for your source?

Your first course of action might be to address the acoustic problems of the room.....which will benefit any further changes in kit as well.

jimmylee73

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Cno.

I ended up buying a used Leema Pulse mk2 and I'm very happy with it - a big improvement on the Roksan.

Also changed to Beresford Bushmaster DAC which again adds a level of improvement, at least to my ears it does.

Room acoustics is on the to-do list

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Nice choice with the amp Jimmy, I and other owners of the amp on this forum are big fans, I have mine paired with some Dynaudio Excites and love the play anything and make it sound fun sound that it gives me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's good to hear back from you after all this time.....and I'm glad you're making progress.

The Pulse is a great choice and I've heard good things about the Bushmaster. If you want further improvement, look to the Kef R Series or Sonus Faber (Toy Tower).

Also avoiding silver coated copper cables can help.

Don't be a stranger and let us know how you progress.

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts