Is Q Acoustics 2050i a good match for Rega Brio-R?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum so i really appreciate your time and opinion into helping me decide what would be the best upgrade for my current Hi-Fi system.

At the moment it’s a bit of a mess and consists of the following:

Amplifier: NAD C352 PD version

CD Player: Yamaha CDR-HD1300

Sony PS3 Slim

Speakers: Q Acoustics 2050i

Interconnect: Merlin Chopin

Speaker Cables: QED Revolution

Rack: Atacama Equinox

Room Size: 5.5m x 4.5m (low profile carpet)

Sadly the Yamaha’s laser gave up some time ago so i use the PS3 as a transport and the Yamaha as DAC, both connected with an optical cable (this way i can still record CD’s to the Yamaha’s HDD). I like the Yamaha’s sound so was thinking of getting it repaired, but then i thought it might be time to upgrade the system as i start to enjoy music more and more (i guess i have more free time now) :)

Was thinking of getting the combo Marantz PM6004/CD6004 but thought i might stretch my budget a bit and get the combo Rega Brio-R/Apollo-R and hopefully add the Rega DAC in the future.

The speakers are Q Acoustics 2050i left from my home cinema package.

So i was wondering if the speakers are good enough for the Rega option or will need to be replaced. The same for the QED Revelation. I am not really into Metal or bass rich music, but more into vocal and instrumental music, so i’m looking for a good soundstage where vocals and instruments feel open and well defined.

Sorry for the long post, i did try to keep it a short as possible :cry:

Many thanks in advance and once again i appreciate very much your time spent into helping me enjoy music as much as i can afford at the moment.

Kind Regards,

Alex

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have a yamaha cdr-hd1500 as my source. I have heard this with the rega brio 3 amp and the marantz pm6003 amp. This was with the Dali Lektor speaker.

My view was that the yamaha and the marantz amp did not work well together. The were very bassy together where other amps were fine. The Marantz is known to be a good match with the Dali. On the other hand the rega brio 3 and the yamaha worked very well.

The yamaha may have its limitations but produces an enjoyable sound a i would think it is worth keeping . Looking to go the rega route myselt in due time keeping the yamaha.

If you shoud go the rega route it may be worth considering the rega dac first instead of the apollo. After 6 years with the yamaha I found I rarely listened to cd but recorded on to yamaha and cd archived. I did get the apollo player but offloaded it as i was not using it. Very nice sound though.

As for speaker choice never heard q acoustics. Best thing would be to try it with amp as you have it already. There is alternatives to the yamaha nowadays but you already have it and are happy with it. (bar the cd part).

A lot of ways open to spend your money.

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much for your reply jonomd. I did originally purchase the Yamaha CDR-HD1300 for making a good copy of CD’s and also store them to its HDD for convenience. But as i said, the laser gave up so had to use another unit for transport, which is where the PS3 slim came in the picture and spoiled the fun :cry: I’ll see how much it costs to repair it and if it doesn’t hit my pocket too much, i’ll fix it as a thanks for serving me well all these years.

Since my last post i have purchased a Musical Fidelity M3i amp with a matching Musical Fidelity M3 CD player based on a recommendation from a friend of mine who shares my taste in music and SQ. Got them second hand for £1000 for the pair (still in the post) and he assured me that i would enjoy their sound more than the Rega combo. He told me that he hasn’t heard any of the 2 setups with the Q Acoustics 2050i but he recommends that i might need to replace the speakers to fully appreciate the sound of the MF’s M3 combo, so i’ll hear how they sound together once i get my hands and ears on them :)

As you suggested, it was probably better to get the DAC first, but now i might need to stick to Musical Fidelity’s own brand DAC to keep the synergy of the system, so i’ll have to do a bit of research and try to audit few of them. Any suggestions in that field are much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts