Rega Brio AC hum

Gobo

Jun 16, 2022
Visit site
Hello. I am Jose Enrique, from Spain.
I bought a Rega Brio a month ago, and for a couple of weeks, there has been a buzzing AC sound even with the volume at zero and nothing connected to the inputs.
The official technical service is told by the Rega importer in Spain that it is "normal".
When you listen to classical or jazz music, the hum is perfectly audible on low volume passages.
It happens to someone else?
Am I to assume that this behavior is "normal"?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome, Jose. You will see if you do a quick search here that Rega hum issues aren’t unknown. But it’s a very popular brand so inevitably certain issues will arise.

There is no way that hum, either mechanical or through the speakers, should be audible from your listening position. And definitely not above quiet music.

Can you clarify what sources you are using, and is the hum from the speakers or the amp itself buzzing?

Reactions: Al ears
Here’s a thread with input from Paul Darwin, at Rega themselves. Worth reading through, even though from a few years ago. The principles don’t change.

Reactions: Al ears

Gobo

Jun 16, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your answer.
I've searched the internet and haven't found anything like you said.
The hum is perfectly audible with headphones, and by bringing your ear closer to the speakers you can hear it as well.
Always at the same volume, from 0 to halfway through the volume potentiometer.
With inputs connected or with all of them without connecting anything.
It's clearly an AC hum, I understand caused by the power supply.
With the headphones, when you turn on the equipment, you hear a peak of that buzz, and then it stabilizes and stays as an annoying background noise. Audible in low passages of music.

Thanks for your answer.
The hum is perfectly audible with headphones, and by bringing your ear closer to the speakers you can hear it as well.
Always at the same volume, from 0 to halfway through the volume potentiometer.
With inputs connected or with all of them without connecting anything.
It's clearly an AC hum, I understand caused by the power supply.
With the headphones, when you turn on the equipment, you hear a peak of that buzz, and then it stabilizes and stays as an annoying background noise. Audible in low passages of music.
I would be returning the amp.

Reactions: nopiano

robdmarsh

The official technical service is told by the Rega importer in Spain that it is "normal".
This is one reason why I've always shied away from Rega as a brand, another being most of their amplifiers look pretty ugly imho. I have a Denon pma 800ne in silver, looks terrific, sounds sublime and no hum whatsoever (maybe this is due to the iron core transformer) and I got a ridiculously low price for a nearly new one. I recommend it to everybody who asks about good budget amplifiers.

Thanks for your answer.
It was this WHF forum that I meant to search, but when I Google ‘Rega Brio Amplifier hum’ there are dozens of quotes, many from forums like this. Here’s an example:-

There’s even a customer review on a UK store website saying great little amp but unfortunate buzzing means I can’t give it 5 stars!

Definitely revert to your dealer/importer, whoever you need to approach. It’s just possible you have some DC on your mains, which an add-on DC blocker *might* fix, but don’t go spending any money yet.

Can you go hear another brand new model, and take yours along to compare? Can you reject it under consumer legislation in Spain?

This is one reason why I've always shied away from Rega as a brand, another being most of their amplifiers look pretty ugly imho. I have a Denon pma 800ne in silver, looks terrific, sounds sublime and no hum whatsoever (maybe this is due to the iron core transformer) and I got a ridiculously low price for a nearly new one. I recommend it to everybody who asks about good budget amplifiers.
As @nopiano mentioned this is nothing new. I can remember turntables and amps from the brand have had humming issues. I'd rather stay away....

Gobo

Jun 16, 2022
Visit site
I'm trying to get the technical service to compare mine with another.
If the hum continues, I will try to return it.

I tell you how the story ends

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I had a Rega Brio r over 5 years ago. It hummed similar to yours, and was audible at low listening levels. I took it back to my dealer, and I was given a new amp. The new one did not hum. A fantastic sounding amp, but yes, the hum is a problem. I am surprised they haven't sorted this out yet, that is a real shame.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site

Transformer hum is not unusual and is normally a mains problem, sometimes related to other things connected to it ie. appliances etc. Some products are better of copying with it but transformer type, size, quality also plays a part. Rega use perfectly fine transformers and I would guess, perfectly adequate in-product mains filtering. These days all products have to comply with standards. Rega employ capable electronics engineers.

Rega is no different to others. I believe you also had an issue with an Audiolab 6000A for a similar reason (?) whereas I had absolutely none in either my old or present place.

One possible solution is to try a good DC blocker. It may be throwing money at a problem that could/likely lie elsewhere but it works for some and if you order from somewhere which is accepting returns you should come out on top.

You could also try and tighten or slightly loosen the transformer fixing bolt, some add isolation rings, unplugging appliances, chargers etc one by one to see if there are culprits.

Last option is to have your supply tested for accuracy. A guy over at PFM did that and the result was his supply was too high and was an actual fire hazzard.

Having said all that, exchanging the unit first if you can makes sense. It could be faulty. Perhaps take it to another place and plug it in briefly to see/hear whether there is transformer buzzing too. If not, it's your mains.

I feel for you as must be annoying. One of these things which, once heard can't be unheard. I only had a transformer hum once with a NAD Receiver some 30 or so years ago (frame transformer I believe). Changed it 3 times at RS but never solved the issue. Hope you have better luck.

Last edited:

Gobo

Jun 16, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone.
In the end, I have sold it (indicating that hum).
I have lost 70€ but I have won in less problems and discussions.
Now looking for a replacement.
Marantz PM7000, Quad Vena II Play or Rotel A12 could enter the final decision.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts