Question Replacing floorstanders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jan Gaens

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
Auditioning is indeed difficult these days. I appreciate all the input. The intention is to use the Rega combo for some time, so I am searching for the best speaker match without overshooting the budget amp. All the other tips (like upgrading source and application) Consider in the future.

Jan Gaens

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
Dali Oberon 5 is a good bet, and with the upped budget, Focal Aria 926 or 936 should make great partners. Or SH Sonus Faber Toy Tower or Spendor A5R. On the other hand, with the big budget, another way to look at it would be improving source and amplification - Maybe a Naim Uniti Star - and upgrade the speakers at a later date.
Focal Aria is an interesting suggestion. Relative unknown to me. High sensitivity I see, neutral sound with is good in combination with the Rega I guess.

D

Deleted member 116933

Thank you for your excellent input. Klipsch wasn't in my minds allthough I have a pair of

Thank you for the excellent input. Klipsch wasn't in my mindh I use a pair of rp600m in my study room. Do you think these heritage speakers van adress the problem of harshness. The Rega Brio is a budget amplifier. Any idea how a more conventional klipsch RP 8000f would perform?

Sorry for the slow reply. In my situation I bought the amp to match which is a Sugden. It has a very clear character it’s not smooth but it’s not edgy at all. I have no problem with forwardness from any of the speakers mentioned especially the Klipsch I e also used naim with these brands . I can’t comment of the dynaudios some have mentioned but are meant to be nice. But forwards can be contributed to great number of things and wouldn’t nessarily Look at the amp or speakers first, probably has more to with the room and with no disrespect intended speaker placement. I would say audition but it’s not that easy at the moment. With the current climate.

Edit. Typed this on my phone so sorry In advance for grammar

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
My previous setup consisted of a Rega Brio amp, Rega Apollo CDP and Rega RS5's.
The RS5's filled my modest sized room (5m x 4m) much better than the stand mounts before them, but a more powerful amp also made quite a difference too. I home demoed the Rega Elex-r and the extra 30 odd wpc made a big difference, and it just got better as I moved up to more powerful amplifiers.
I had the Brio for many years in a smaller room and I loved it, but I would second others here and urge you to consider a better amp to match any new speakers you buy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts