Record Store Day: purchases, thoughts, eBay

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
So there I was at 8am on the cold, sharp streets of Leeds heading to Crash Record shop, hoping like last year to be first in the queue. But no, I turn the corner to find a swathe of other keen vinyl-ists ahead of the game. 47 others to be precise, as I discover when the owner works his way down the queue to give each of us our ticket and take the name of our number one desired purchase.

The shop opens at 9am but the 47 people in front of me take an hour to be processed and possessed of their vinyl needs. I'd estimate that about the same number of collectors are behind me in the queue at this stage. Is it the combined allure of Beatles, Blur and Pet Shop Boys releases that has swelled the ranks this year, I wonder? Or were they all after the new Neu 12inch single?

I got my first choice, the Pet Shop Boys 7 inch and The Beatles and Fall singles, a Factory 4 track 10inch, and Midlake's Van Occupanther on vinyl, but missed out on my second choice, The Flaming Lips' Dark Side Of The Moon. The latter, I discover, is trading on eBay for up to £100 and rising. Damn those market forces! I also notice that all of my purchases are up for auction. The going rate seems to be around 10 times the purchase value.

Last night I played all of my new acquisitions and thrilled to the rebellious jukebox of Paperback Writer followed by The Fall's Bury and onwards. Great stuff.

Anyone manage to get hold of The FLips album pre-eBay?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I found out Friday that a little shop in Ilfracombe was taking part, I didn't even know they sold music, the shop's called Movie Mix! Anyway, strolled in about ten past 9, no one else in the shop, he had a handful of stuff, picked up the Stones and Hendrix 7s, the Factory 10". They had the Flaming Lips LP but I didn't fancy it for some reason. The rest of the stuff was more towards the metal end of the market which I'm not interested in. I got Seasick Steve's Man From Another Time, excellent sound quality no idea if that was part of the promotion though. Had a voucher for "free mp3s" of the album, so I checked that out and happily they also offer it in FLAC as well, so that's on the Sonos as well, bonus.

Then I went to Barnstaple and Solo Music had a handful of releases as well, but nothing else that I hadn't already seen. I asked if they had the Blur single but they said they hadn't been sent any, Movie Mix had been sent ONE but the guy was trying to decide what to do with it, he was thinking of putting it up for a raffle prize. Didn't see the Pet Shop Boys one in either place.

I was hoping to go down to Exeter to see what they had there but the missus surprised me with tickets to see Alice in Wonderland at 11am, so that went out the window!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts