Record deck not working in Audiolab 8000A

Alexis75

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
Hello all, hope someone is able to help.
I have a working record deck (Pro-Ject Debut/Phono SB) as I am using it with an Arcam Alpha 6.

When connected to the Audiolab amp, the sound is distorted, the volume control is not usable, if moved slightly, the volume goes loud and distorted, the speaker balance control becomes inoperative. Also when the input select on the amp is other than Phono and the volume is at zero and the record is still playing , it can still be heard, distorted from the speakers.
The person I bought the amp from has tested it with another deck, and even sent me a video of it in use, and is Ok.

All the other inputs work OK, I have double checked the RCA and earth is connected, and that MM is selected on the amp.

I am baffled!

Thanks in advance

Alexis

Gray

Hello all, hope someone is able to help.
I have a working record deck (Pro-Ject Debut/Phono SB) as I am using it with an Arcam Alpha 6.

When connected to the Audiolab amp, the sound is distorted, the volume control is not usable, if moved slightly, the volume goes loud and distorted, the speaker balance control becomes inoperative. Also when the input select on the amp is other than Phono and the volume is at zero and the record is still playing , it can still be heard, distorted from the speakers.
The person I bought the amp from has tested it with another deck, and even sent me a video of it in use, and is Ok.

All the other inputs work OK, I have double checked the RCA and earth is connected, and that MM is selected on the amp.

I am baffled!

Thanks in advance

Alexis
You're not the first to make the mistake Alexis, and you won't be the last.
Your TT has a built-in phono preamplifier- so does your Audiolab.
Move the RCA plugs to one of the other inputs on the amp and it will sound right.

You're not the first to make the mistake Alexis, and you won't be the last.
Your TT has a built-in phono preamplifier- so does your Audiolab.
Move the RCA plugs to one of the other inputs on the amp and it will sound right.
If I am correct this deck doesn't have the ability to switch it's internal preamp off either...... a sad defect.

Reactions: Alexis75 and Gray

Gray

If I am correct this deck doesn't have the ability to switch it's internal preamp off either...... a sad defect.
I was wondering about that, couldn't find pictures.
It is a bit of an omission not to give users the option. But Project might (rightly) argue that a switch would necessarily compromise the signal path when using the cart direct - though other manufacturers don't consider it to be an issue.

The least they could do would be to include some unmissable warning.
(They probably will - when someone sues them for new speakers).

Last edited:
I was wondering about that, couldn't find pictures.
It is a bit of an omission not to give users the option. But Project might (rightly) argue that a switch would necessarily compromise the signal path when using the cart direct - though other manufacturers don't consider it to be an issue.

The least they could do would be to include some unmissable warning.
(They probably will - when someone sues them for new speakers).
You may be right otherwise I would question why someone would buy a deck with this facility if they intend to use it with an amp with an inbuilt phono stage which are invariably better than the one on the deck.

Alexis75

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
I would suggest the phono amp inbuilt into your deck is still operating, either switch it off or connect the turntable to an Aux or other set of inputs on your amp.
It should not be connected to the Phono Inputs on your amp
Thank you! you are correct, thought I was going bananas. It is working using Tape 2 input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts