Recommended speaker pairing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Yes, I would like to come and see what you have in stock that may be suitable, once we are all able to travel freely, without appointments (although I appreciate that auditions will need a booking) - when are you open, please?

Thanks for your reply.

Our new Kanta’s are on their way, AE520’s and QLN’s Prestige 3’s are also worth look and listen to.

Anyway, best to PM me to discuss this futher.

D

Deleted member 188533

Clearly that would be the case - I am not about to disclose any personal details to all and sundry, but thanks for the tip. :)

Was more a hint on approaching site rules regarding solicitation of service than a snap judgement of your intellect. I didn't want to have to delete anyone's posts. ;)

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Tall ask that natural and accurate, that doesn’t normally go hand in hand in my experience.

With what you’re describing and taking the word natural. And not really knowing you budget but seeing as your looking at the 702 signatures 5k there about a I’d also look at the klipsch heritage line heresy/forte 4s about as natural sounding as they come but are they accurate? Nope but hell there fun.

I’d also look at the tannoy heritage line of speakers the eatons. Big large stand mounts

I think this must depend what you take natural and accurate to mean.
To me, they are the same thing.
If a Klipsch is not accurate, then to me it cannot be natural.
It sounds to me like the OP wants to hear what the artist intended. He doesn't want say ' fake bass'.

In which case, ATC must surely be up there.

I will put another option out there as well, which you rarely see mentioned.
Rega RS10.

I have never heard the RS10s, but Rega speakers are fairly accurate, and can be fun. Plus from what I have heard, the RS10s take this to a whole new level.

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Thank you guys,
Natural and accurate means essentially the same thing to me, in that essentially I am not looking for the speakers to add anything (much), in the way of colouration. It probable that I am looking for more of a 'monitor' style of speaker, although when I listened to some PMC 26's they sound a little harsh at higher volume and at higher frequencies levels and , which surprised me - but maybe this was down to the speaker cable pairing, it's difficult to know.

The Klipsch's are on my radar already, but I have not considered Tannoy, or Rega's, so thanks again for the suggestions - I feel a little more research is necessary :)

D

Deleted member 108165

Harsh sounding speakers would have little to do with speaker cables used. If you're going to see Rick then be prepared that he's not a believer in exotic cables, hence why he gets lots of kudos from me as an honest dealer (y)

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I am not necessarily convinced that exotic cables are worth their salt either, (another example of diminishing return and constant tweaking, i think), but I do believe that some speaker and amp pairings can be affected a little by cables, particularly at the high end when good quality cables have been used in internal circuitry and crossovers. But that is simple science and logic, not 'woo -woo' theory. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 116933

I think this must depend what you take natural and accurate to mean.
To me, they are the same thing.
If a Klipsch is not accurate, then to me it cannot be natural.
It sounds to me like the OP wants to hear what the artist intended. He doesn't want say ' fake bass'.

In which case, ATC must surely be up there.

I will put another option out there as well, which you rarely see mentioned.
Rega RS10.

I have never heard the RS10s, but Rega speakers are fairly accurate, and can be fun. Plus from what I have heard, the RS10s take this to a whole new level.

Natural sound is not accurate as the very meaning of the word is contradictory to the word accurate. And no ATC is not up there for that type of sound (natural) ATC are analytical they are designed to be that way which is fine if you're after that and when i read post using these words interchangeably all i read is confusion. I've experienced both. There is a big difference in both approaches of sound.

I don't mention Raga Rs10's because I haven't listened to them so don't mention anything I haven't listened to. But how do you know they're taking things to a whole new level you've never heard them?

Bottom line.

Natural just isn't accurate and the 2 just don't go hand in hand whether your opinion aligns with it or not, Either way, you can't interchange the word Natural for Accurate it means something completely different and is a contradiction and that's a truth, not opinion.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Thank you guys,
Natural and accurate means essentially the same thing to me, in that essentially I am not looking for the speakers to add anything (much), in the way of colouration. It probable that I am looking for more of a 'monitor' style of speaker, although when I listened to some PMC 26's they sound a little harsh at higher volume and at higher frequencies levels and , which surprised me - but maybe this was down to the speaker cable pairing, it's difficult to know.

The Klipsch's are on my radar already, but I have not considered Tannoy, or Rega's, so thanks again for the suggestions - I feel a little more research is necessary :)

Then you are after exactly what I am after in a speaker, and we seem to see 'Natural and accurate' in the same light.

In which case, whilst never having actually heard them, the following two brands are known for monitoring to some extent or another:
ATC
Harbeth
As mentioned, certain Spendors have to be on the list as well.

As for Rega- Just going by the price alone, it is fair to say the RX3 and RX5 are not in the same league as the ATCs, and the handling of lower frequencies on the RX3 is probably its downfall (I will go to RX5 or RS10 one day). Hence why I mentioned RS10s. As mentioned, I haven't heard these, and seemingly they are not big sellers. But those that do have them seem very very happy with them. They supposedly take the Rega strengths of being honest with the music to a different level. But, they are £8k brand new! But if you can live with 2nd hand, there is a pair on eBay right now.

The last time I was at the dealers, they had a pair of some large B&Ws setup. They gave a big sound, which wowed you at first. But I eventually just got the impression it wasn't realistic. It was too big a sound (having been at live concerts of the same artist, the speakers were beyond even a live performance). Artificially big if you will. I then started wondering how much detail you were losing with an artificially big sound. Hence why, unlike some, I don't see myself needing sub woofers. They may make the sound more enjoyable at first, but is it real?

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Thank you both for your opinions. As previously stated, I am looking for speakers which do not add anything (much) by way of colouration - and I am specifically seeking experiences of people who have or have owned the MF Encore 225 or similar. I will treat all opinions in the manner and spirit that they are offered and I am grateful for the time and effort that people put into any response, most of which are perfectly valid from what I can currently observe.

Different people have different opinions and experiences and that is what makes these conversations interesting and worthwhile

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Thanks again James 83, - it seems our relative posts may have crossed in the ether!

I can certainly follow your logic and yes, it does appear that we may be on the same page as to what we listen for in a speaker. I certainly have had the same experience with B&W, but I have speakers from this manufacturer in my AV set up, where the 'warmth added does seem to enhance the 'cinematic' experience a little. However, I don't want the same from my music set up. 'Horses for course's I guess.

I appreciate your comments, thanks again.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Natural sound is not accurate as the very meaning of the word is contradictory to the word accurate. And no ATC is not up there for that type of sound (natural) ATC are analytical they are designed to be that way which is fine if you're after that and when i read post using these words interchangeably all i read is confusion. I've experienced both. There is a big difference in both approaches of sound.

I don't mention Raga Rs10's because I haven't listened to them so don't mention anything I haven't listened to. But how do you know they're taking things to a whole new level you've never heard them?

Bottom line.

Natural just isn't accurate and the 2 just don't go hand in hand whether your opinion aligns with it or not, Either way, you can't interchange the word Natural for Accurate it means something completely different and is a contradiction and that's a truth, not opinion.

Well OK. Natural means something not man made, so if the sound coming out of the speaker is an instrument or human, then no, it isn't natural. Perhaps if it is the sea or wind?

Now, if this is some sort of audio terminology you are thinking of, then I have no idea.
But otherwise, I still can't really seperate natural and accurate myself. In that regard, I can only apologise to you. If you would like to educate myself, then please, feel free. It seems as though I am not the only person thinking this way though.

But if you prefer, anything that is not accurate, is unnatural!!

As for RS10s. Having RX3s sitting at home, and having read up on what owners of RS10s say, I have a little idea.
But I only said it was based on what others were saying, and it was something to consider.
Which lets be honest, anyone asking questions on here, is listening to what others say of a particular item. Just so happens, what I say is partly 2nd hand. I can again, only apologise if some people do not like that.
But if it helps:
'Look at Rega, but perhaps go up a few notches as I doubt the RX3s will compare favourably to a decent ATC'

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again James 83, - it seems our relative posts may have crossed in the ether!

I can certainly follow your logic and yes, it does appear that we may be on the same page as to what we listen for in a speaker. I certainly have had the same experience with B&W, but I have speakers from this manufacturer in my AV set up, where the 'warmth added does seem to enhance the 'cinematic' experience a little. However, I don't want the same from my music set up. 'Horses for course's I guess.

I appreciate your comments, thanks again.

Yep, I can see why a B&W would work in an AV setup.

As for your amp/ streamer.
I have no idea regarding this. Never heard of it, let alone listened to it.
So take what I say with whatever pinch of salt it is due.

And no ATC is not up there for that type of sound (natural) ATC are analytical

ATC designs and build monitors. They are flat and honest. They have been designed to reveal the quality of what they are fed with as effectively as possible. The only way around this look at speakers which warm up the sound. However this warmth is distortion. So there’s your choice.

"The aims of the forefathers of the industry seem to have been completely forgotten and many loudspeakers of today's manufacturers are described as being musically involving, having pace, rhythm and slam or as just being a musical experience, words which might have a definite subjective meaning to the originator, cause confusion and suspicion in the mind of the public, and provide the less scrupulous with a cover for rather cynical products poorly engineered."

ATC's goal is to have loudspeakers as near perfection in performance as possible by having the lowest possible distortion.

ATC Transducer. The sound of accuracy. Naturally (y)

All sounds straightforward to me :)

Reactions: Oxfordian

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
ATC designs and build monitors. They are flat and honest. They have been designed to reveal the quality of what they are fed with as effectively as possible. The only way around this look at speakers which warm up the sound. However this warmth is distortion. So there’s your choice.

"The aims of the forefathers of the industry seem to have been completely forgotten and many loudspeakers of today's manufacturers are described as being musically involving, having pace, rhythm and slam or as just being a musical experience, words which might have a definite subjective meaning to the originator, cause confusion and suspicion in the mind of the public, and provide the less scrupulous with a cover for rather cynical products poorly engineered."

ATC's goal is to have loudspeakers as near perfection in performance as possible by having the lowest possible distortion.

Well thats 3 of us in the doghouse now!!

Are you sure you aren't Mr Harbeth?
I loved his response to a question at some Munich audio event.
The question was something along the lines of what did he think would happen in the future, in the audio world.
The response, which I thought was brilliant- He basically said every year, he comes to these shows hoping that half the exhibitors have vanished. But instead it keeps getting bigger.

Oxfordian

I have to admit that I liked the sound of ATC speakers that much I have a pair of SCM 7’s on order, should get them in around 5-6 weeks as apparently they are made to order.

Thank you guys,

If you want advice, don't get too hung up on whether a system is natural or unnatural... or if it has a UK passport.

Generally speaking if you want to use a hi-fi over long listening sessions it's all about BALANCE. Sometimes if a system is too natural, neutral blah blah blah... it will thrill on a short listen, but on long sessions... (creases brow).

Recently a poster on here had a Nad 352 with B&W speakers but found it too shrill (Nad are anything but...), and @Al ears and myself advised him to try a Rotel and he came back a few days later and said it was 'Night and Day' compared to the NAD/B&W.

Your search is for the ideal synergy not what is perceived as neutral or natural.

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for your input. My original post details a little better what I am after, and you are probably correct in your interpretation of the above. Primarily, I am looking for a pairing for my MF Encore 225 that will not add any colouration to what is already there in the music. I think the MF is fairly neutral (or balanced) in that it does not appear to add any such colouration or warmth to the recordings, and I am after a set of good quality speakers that will do the same, ideally from people who have experience with or have an MF encore player themselves.

I realise that it is easy to get drawn into 'h-fi' speak, or jargon, but I am a relative newbie and do not understand all of this, one person's 'natural' sound, is another person's' neutral' or 'accurate' sound, all of which may be correct in context to the individual poster, but may mean something else to different readers. For my part . I am rather hoping that If I use plain and ordinary words in context, most people will be able to understand what I mean, (with apologies to more seasoned audio and/or technical buffs who will no doubt sometimes cringe at the use of words, which may have a slightly different nuance in heir technical world). After all, I am seeking free advice and I am grateful for all such advice and opinion provided. Nor, for the avoidance of doubt, is this post intended as any kind of negative criticism of the last or other posts. I genuinely appreciate all contributions, which have so far and in the main been positive and informative, So, thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts