Recommended speaker pairing

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Hi Folks,
I am a total newbie on this thread and am just starting to reignite my passion for listening to good quality music, (of many genres), on a decent hi -fi set up.

I have a Musical Fidelity Encore 225 network player (which has the onboard amp). Currently I have my old Celestion two way speakers hooked up to it, but they are easily outclassed by the player which is much more modern in deign and capacity.
Does anybody on here have the same streamer and if so, what speaker/cable combination have you found to be most successful for listening in a fairly large room, (5 x 11 m)? Also, have you found it better to connect the streamer to a power Amp - and if so what Amp would you recommend?

Any sensible advice would be appreciated.

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your response, which is pretty much a reflection of where I am starting from. The difficulty is, that I am starting in a massive market, with many brands and it is difficult to narrow this down. Obviously, it is not feasible to listen to everything and in any event, listening rooms in shops take up valuable retail space, so the environments are not often a true reflection of how a speaker would sound, given a 'real life' environment to operate in (and it is unlikely that a dealer has a large variety of cables, which can also affect things). So far I have tried models from PMC, Q Acoustics, B&W, Monitor Audio and Dali, with varying success - and in truth I am not really any the wiser for doing so. I will be looking at some Focal (Kanta) speakers, which I am led to believe would be a good match, but I am really seeking the experiences of anyone else that actually owns the same player, to judge what may work and based upon their experiences and perspectives (and simply to narrow down the vast choice that is available - i.e., I am seeking to avoid expensive mistakes and don't want to waste a lot of money on 'diving in' on a quality speaker, only to find that nobody, (with the benefit of experience that they would be kind enough to share), would have chosen that particular pairing).

What budget do you have? I’m assuming pretty handsome, because Focal Kanta aren’t cheap. Has anything appealed so far? The MF is pretty balanced, so I’m afraid there’s no magic pairing as you seem to believe.

I remember one forumite who had Kantas, but saved some money when he upgraded to similar ATCs to mine, the SCM40. They’re a nice floorstanders for under £4000, and perform well beyond their price. You’ve plenty of power, and ATCs aren’t cable fussy. (Some Van Damme LC-OFC speaker wire is fine). Worth an audition, as you’ve not yet heard them. They also do active versions for c. £7400 which are even better.

Don’t worry about cables until you’ve got the speakers chosen and carefully positioned. They’re only like fine tone controls and should not actually ‘do’ anything except pass the signal unmolested.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

@Florestander the best way to get started is to simply pick what looks good to you and what you’re willing to have in your room.

You mention focal and pmc that’s great start there. Speakers are very personal not just from a sound perspective. My wife wouldn’t even allow certain speakers in the house because of the look.

But most importantly pick a budget. I generally try to spend less than the amp of I can.

You need to audition and we can’t help with that.

But if you really need a starting place then the usual suspects apply, kef, bw, though I personally would start with wharfdale there more cuppa Dentons and lintons epscailly

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
What budget do you have? I’m assuming pretty handsome, because Focal Kanta aren’t cheap. Has anything appealed so far? The MF is pretty balanced, so I’m afraid there’s no magic pairing as you seem to believe.

I remember one forumite who had Kantas, but saved some money when he upgraded to similar ATCs to mine, the SCM40. They’re a nice floorstanders for under £4000, and perform well beyond their price. You’ve plenty of power, and ATCs aren’t cable fussy. (Some Van Damme LC-OFC speaker wire is fine). Worth an audition, as you’ve not yet heard them. They also do active versions for c. £7400 which are even better.

Don’t worry about cables until you’ve got the speakers chosen and carefully positioned. They’re only like fine tone controls and should not actually ‘do’ anything except pass the signal unmolested.

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
That appears to be good advice - thank you. I have not really set a budget to be fair, but I do not want to spend any more than I have to. This is balanced by the desire to buy once only, _ I do not wish to spend a substantial sum, and then be looking to upgrade, because what i have doesn't do the job. For that reason, I am willing to open the wallet a bit, but not too much and Kanta's would probably be about as high as I am prepared to go. (I am not a constant 'tweaker' and I know that it is easy to get lured into this path, searching for better and better sound quality, only to find that really the law of diminishing return applies). I have previously seen some ATC's on line, but not sought to take any further just yet, but may well do as you suggest - thanks again.

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
@Florestander the best way to get started is to simply pick what looks good to you and what you’re willing to have in your room.

You mention focal and pmc that’s great start there. Speakers are very personal not just from a sound perspective. My wife wouldn’t even allow certain speakers in the house because of the look.

But most importantly pick a budget. I generally try to spend less than the amp of I can.

You need to audition and we can’t help with that.

But if you really need a starting place then the usual suspects apply, kef, bw, though I personally would start with wharfdale there more cuppa Dentons and lintons epscailly

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for your time and advice. I quite agree that Aesthetics play a part as a decent set of floorstanders are also part of the furniture! I had thought that Wharfedales may be a bit 'obvious' if you know what I mean, but have probably ruled them out, in reality, albeit unfairly. I will have a closer look at heir offerings including your suggestions.

I have tried B&W's including the 702 signatures and although my daughter liked these, and they look fine, I found that to my ears at least, they added a bit of 'warmth' and possibly a bit of bassiness, that is not present in the original recording. This was engaging and musical, but I am really seeking something that is more 'natural' and accurate, at the same time though, I do wish to have an engaging musical experience - that, after all.is the reason we all love our music. KEF's have also been recommended by some dealers, but dismissed by others, so not sure on that point....

Thanks again though, your advice is appreciated.

D

Deleted member 116933

Thank you for your time and advice. I quite agree that Aesthetics play a part as a decent set of floorstanders are also part of the furniture! I had thought that Wharfedales may be a bit 'obvious' if you know what I mean, but have probably ruled them out, in reality, albeit unfairly. I will have a closer look at heir offerings including your suggestions.

I have tried B&W's including the 702 signatures and although my daughter liked these, and they look fine, I found that to my ears at least, they added a bit of 'warmth' and possibly a bit of bassiness, that is not present in the original recording. This was engaging and musical, but I am really seeking something that is more 'natural' and accurate, at the same time though, I do wish to have an engaging musical experience - that, after all.is the reason we all love our music. KEF's have also been recommended by some dealers, but dismissed by others, so not sure on that point....

Thanks again though, your advice is appreciated.

Tall ask that natural and accurate, that doesn’t normally go hand in hand in my experience.

With what you’re describing and taking the word natural. And not really knowing you budget but seeing as your looking at the 702 signatures 5k there about a I’d also look at the klipsch heritage line heresy/forte 4s about as natural sounding as they come but are they accurate? Nope but hell there fun.

I’d also look at the tannoy heritage line of speakers the eatons. Big large stand mounts

Hi Folks,
I am a total newbie on this thread and am just starting to reignite my passion for listening to good quality music, (of many genres), on a decent hi -fi set up.

I have a Musical Fidelity Encore 225 network player (which has the onboard amp). Currently I have my old Celestion two way speakers hooked up to it, but they are easily outclassed by the player which is much more modern in deign and capacity.
Does anybody on here have the same streamer and if so, what speaker/cable combination have you found to be most successful for listening in a fairly large room, (5 x 11 m)? Also, have you found it better to connect the streamer to a power Amp - and if so what Amp would you recommend?

Any sensible advice would be appreciated.

Firstly, I won't recommend any brand as there have been some excellent suggestions already.

I would first set a maximum budget then see what comes up within that budget either floorstanders or standmounts. If the latter budget for good, heavy stands

After a shortlist I would have a shop demo then which ever brand takes your fancy, request a home demo.

Good luck.

I am really seeking something that is more 'natural' and accurate, at the same time though, I do wish to have an engaging musical experience - that, after all.is the reason we all love our music.

If you want to hear the quality of your amplifier and the quality of your recordings in an uncoloured and natural manner then ATC's monitors such as curved SCM40's should do the trick. Fwiw, we've got a fair number of clients happily using ATC monitors with MF amplification.

ATC Transducer. Musical accuracy :)

Thank you. Spendors have not really made it on to my list - are these a 'natural' sounding speaker?
yes, if you can audition please do . Not sure of your budget but the D7s are very good.
They are not going to knock your socks off with bass abilities neither are they going to stun you with their hi pitched treble but, as a neutral speaker, they are hard to beat.
To me they are honest, produce piano and both male and female voice extremely well, and that to me makes a good speaker. Whether it works for you only you can say.

Last edited:

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Thanks again, I will have a look at these speakers. I may contact you to arrange an audition if that is OK?

yes, if you can audition please do . Not sure of your budget but the D7s are very good.
They are not going to knock your socks off with bass abilities neither are they going to stun you with their hi pitched treble but, as a neutral speaker, they are hard to beat.
To me they are honest, produce piano and both male and female voice extremely well, and that to me makes a good speaker. Whether it works for you only you can say.

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Yes, I would like to come and see what you have in stock that may be suitable, once we are all able to travel freely, without appointments (although I appreciate that auditions will need a booking) - when are you open, please?

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
D

Deleted member 188533

I don't at all mind you guys arranging auditions through the site but I think the details should be done through private message. :)

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS