Recommendations...Teac CR-H255,DR-H300DAB, Onkyo CR-515 or any alternatives?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It seems that both these units are in direct competition with each other and my internet searching skills have failed to aid me resolve the matter. Can anyone recommend one over the other or highlight any negative points they may have. Currently i'm swayed by the Teac but i've also noticed that for a little more the Teac DRH300DAB is available which appears to boast a significantly bigger power output and Tri band DAB...i'm aware this is a dvd player too but putting that to the way side and concentrating on audio only which is the best choice?

Onkyo also seem to be a little less reliable and i noticed the Teac first, but i'd rather not make a poor decision based on an uneducated guess, and since i am unable to find anything which is pushing me to one over the other, i'm starting to look to other systems too. Are there any other options too? Help!
Thanks for your input....

(Also, can anyone recommend any speakers to go with either system....)

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I'm not aware of any reliability problems with our Onkyo CR-515, and it took home a Product of the Year Award in 2006 - they're never awarded lightly. Apart from its class-leading sound, the Onkyo is one of the very few midi/micro systems I've heard that has worthwhile matching speakers (the CS-515, a CR-515 with speakers, is yours for £300 tops). If you wanted to spend a little more on speakers, you're spoiled for choice at the moment: listen to Cambridge Audio's S30s (£120) and Tannoy's Mercury F1 Custom (£110).

A

Anonymous

In the interval between asking my question and receiving your reply i'd all but decided upon the Teac CR-H255...the USB functionality enabling recordings and direct MP3 playback seemed a big draw. However, the Onkyo CR-515 appears to be very highly recommended everywhere, whereas the Teac is hardly mentioned...is there a performance gap between the two favouring the Onkyo, and would i be wiser to purchase a CR-515 instead?

Also regarding speakers i was having a hard time deciding between Q Acoustics 1010 or 1020's, Monitor BR1's, the Mordaunt short 902i's, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's or a pair of similar Missions (31i or 32i). It seemed to me that the Mordaunt or Monitors were a good option but the Mission's also appear to be recommended. I have no clue on how to select the best matching speakers to produce the best result so any advice would be greatly appreciated on both the speakers and the better/differences between the two systems.

A

Anonymous

hey dude,

I seem to be in a similar situation as the one you were in when posting this blog.

What did you end up buying in terms of system and speakers?!?

Im swampd and confused by info.

Azazello

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Like I say, I'd buy the Onkyo if it were my money. It's the best-sounding micro around at the money.

As regards speakers, your decision will to some extent be dictated by price - I'm always amazed at the gap between a manufacturer's pricing intentions and the sort of money products end up being sold for. If your budget runs only as far as Q Acoustics 1010s, you won't be disappointed with their performance. Personally, I'd like the Wharfedales on the front of my Onkyo - they're a very sympathetic pairing. Plus the Diamond 9.1s are getting into middle age now, and there should be deals to be done.

T2004

Jul 7, 2007
Visit site
Some useful comments.

I'm also in a similar position. I'm about to buy the Teac-CR-H255 since I want the USB connection.

I've had to sell my Rotel RA-01/ B&W 602S3 combination due to it being too big for a new flat. I bought the system based on What HiFi reviews and couldnt have been happier with it.

So, I need new speakers that arent so big and could sound good placed in a small room, in the corner on a bookshelf (so front ported presumably).

I've bought the 2007 Ultimate guide and am a little concerned about the comment that speakers should be carefully selected for the Teac (the comment refers to the Teac DVD DR-H300 actually). [please let me know if I should remove quotes from the magazine].

I only play mp3 really so, wouldnt want speakers that exaggerate the imperfections.

I'd be happy to pay anywhere between £100-200 so am considering the Tannoy F1s, MA B2s, MA BR2s and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s.

The review suggests the Tannoys, but I'm wondering if any of the other speakers I've listed would be better in the system if I'm happy to spend more. Unfortunately I cant easily audition them, but am in the process of trying to sort that out.

Would be grateful for any comments please. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Having finally (!!!) decided to go for the CR-H255 (the USB facility is very handy, and no-one seems forthcoming on how much the performance difference between the Teac and Onkyo really is) i've just been pondering the speaker options too...like you i'm not really in the position to pre-listen so helpful comments are very important to me.

Having done as much research as i can, i came to the decision of going for either the Mordaunt Short 902i or Monitor BR1's - i was looking favourably at the bigger BR2's but was advised that the Teac would have trouble powering them and would be straining to perform (shame really as i wanted a pair of monster-ish speakers to blast out some of my heavy metal!). One of the people i spoke to assured me that the Mordaunts were the best option but looking at the What HiFi summary it seems that the Monitors are the better choice...so that was what i had almost decided to go for, and having double checked with one of the retailers i had called he seemed to think that either would be a good match. No-one really gave me much advice on the Tannoys and having read good things about the Wharfedales, people have pushed me more towards the Missions over them.

Now i have no idea how much salesmanship was involved in those calls, but if i can't have the BR2's, i'm currently looking at the BR1's .....although as i said the Wharfedale or Mordaunt options are still tempting me a little, and i also have very little idea about cable selection. If i had to purchase right this second it'd probably be the BR1's however....positive Wharfedale reviews be damned!

Looking back this probably doesn't help you much....but if you do decide be sure to update this thread with your decision! Hopefully some one more knowledgeable will be able to add their sage advice...

T2004

Jul 7, 2007
Visit site
Hopefully someone will have already bought one of the combinations or have tested them out.

"the What HiFi summary it seems that the Monitors are the better choice"

Where did it say that please?

Am I right that the Mordaunts are rear ported? Although I prefer the design of others anyway.

T2004

Jul 7, 2007
Visit site
I've just heard the Mordaunts and the Tannoy F1s. On a different system though.

The guy said that they'd recently had the speakers up against each other in the shop and the Mordaunts sounded best.

Interestingly, dont Richer Sounds own Tannoy?

Anyway, even though I prefer the design of the others, I prefered the sound of the Mordaunts over Tannoys. It was more open and a cleaner midrange in my opinion. They are of course more expensive than the Tannoys though. They're a bit deeper in size than the Tannoys and are rear ported - so may be too big for my shelf (have to measure up later).

The guy (who's opinion I now value) didnt like the Wharfedale 9.1s and said that they werent so 'clear'.

I'd still like to test out the MA Bronze B2 or BR2 sometime.

A

Anonymous

Andrew - yep, not sure what that comment was intended to imply, but actually I thought there was some connection between CA and Mordaunt, not Tannoy. But frankly I am not sure where I got that from or whether its so ... I'm no expert. Just something I may have seen somewhere.

sdp

T2004

Jul 7, 2007
Visit site
"Nope - Tannoy is part of the TC Group, based in Denmark"

Sorry for the mistake.

I've read quite a bit over the weekend and so may have got confused or read someone elses nonsense.

...Ah, it was Mordaunt-Short! My point was that if RS recommended the M-S despite owning Tannoy, then that supported the notion of it being an honest view. However, as RS own M-S, I'd me more suspicious that they'd recomment it over other speakers.

Andrew or others, any thoughts on the WhatHifi coment that "speakers should be carefully selected for the Teac"? ie. of those listed above, which would be most suitable? and what short of traits should be avoided?
The Mordaunts did sound to be a little active at the treble end - is that the sort of thing that wouldnt go so well with the Teac?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="T2004"]
However, as RS own M-S, I'd me more suspicious that they'd recomment it over other speakers.

[/quote]

Not quite that simple: Mordaunt-Short, like Cambridge Audio, is part of The Audio Partnership, which always stresses that it's a completely separate company from Richer Sounds. Richer Sounds distributes and sells Cambridge Audio in the UK, while Mordaunt-Short is distributed here by Marantz, as it is throughout Europe.

T2004

Jul 7, 2007
Visit site
Fair enough. Although, since Richer Sounds profits from Mordaunt-Short's success, I think its natural to suspect that they may be more inclined to push M-S speakers over others.

Anyway, whatever the case, I thought the Avant 902is sounded pretty good.

I've now bought the Teac CR-H255 and had a chat with the sales guy about suitable speakers.

He said that most people there tend to go with the BR1s or BR2s. Thats pushing me towards the BR2s, although I still have some concerns given that I've read comments that the Teac isnt powerful enough to run them?

Think I'll try to test them out in a shop - dont want the system sitting at home without any speakers :eek:)

T2004

Jul 7, 2007
Visit site
Apologies for the repeated updates, but hopefully they may be of use for some?

I've had this back from Teac.

"The Monitor Audio BR2 speakers are a 6ohms load the same as the CR-H255 and a sensitivity of 90dB so they are an easy speaker for the amplifier to drive"

At 25W+25W, I guess the amp may be just below the recommended power range (30-100W) for the speakers.

The amp has tone controls, so one can can at least turn the treble down a touch if the metal tweeter does sound a bit harsh.

A

Anonymous

It's funny that when i spoke to Richer Sounds about the 902i's vs the Monitors the chap told me that he'd go with the Mordaunts because along with a better sound ''no-one ever brings them back''...hence the similar dilemma i found myself in (and still haven't made the decision between the Mordaunts or Monitors for my speaker purchase...what can i say but i've been busy lately!) From the review you posted and the slight disparity between the Teac's output and the BR2's requirements, my concern is that if i want my music LOUD the Monitors won't cope...

Do report back on what you feel from hearing them in action with the Teac and your ultimate choice...it'd be interesting to hear a non-partisan point of view from someone in a similar position to help me make my purchase.

A

Anonymous

Have you made your purchase yet? In the end which speaker set-up did you opt for, the BR1's, BR2's or the Mordaunt 902i's and how does it sound....are you pleased with the result?

T2004

Jul 7, 2007
Visit site
Just to update, I've been too busy to test any speakers out with the system.

I'm probably just going to go ahead and buy the BR2s as I want to get the system up and running.

Will report back on how they sound when/if I do.

A

Anonymous

Thank-you....i was afraid that the BR2's would sound distorted and clipped when the volume was turned up loud (i.e for Rock and Heavy Metal type music) due to the slight power output/advised input power disparity between the CR-H255 and the BR2's so had almost jumped ship to the 902i's, so i'd be most interested to hear what you think.

T2004

Jul 7, 2007
Visit site
Went and had a chat with the Sevenoaks & have also had further emails back from Teac. Apparently the BR2s will be fairly easy for the Teac to drive since they are 6ohms and 90dbs, so being slightly out of the recommended range shouldnt be a problem. Sevenoaks agreed with this.

I hadnt appreciated before how the BR2s are much bigger than the BR1s. My guess is that the soundstage will be better. So, I've bought the BR2s and they should be arriving in a week (out of stock at the moment).

I was also a little concerned about clipping, but more from the point of view of potential speaker damage. I'll not be playing it too loud, so will make sure I dont go much (if at all) over half volume. I'll also let you know how loud that sounds...

T2004

Jul 7, 2007
Visit site
The BR2s were out of stock initially, so I've only just got them this weekend.

I've currently been running them in, so not tested them thoroughly yet. I'm also using fairly bog-standard cable, so not sure how much improvement it would be upgrading that (will do in due course).

Anyway, to the important bit! I'm very pleased with them. They sound very clear and open. Not at all harsh. I've mostly been listening to DAB (chill FM). I'm not usually much of a radio fan, but now have it on all the time. The reception and quality is fantastic.

Even though I've only had it on relatively quietly, the bass is nice and punchy, without being boomy.

I previously had B&W602 S3s (with Rotel RA-01 and QED silver anniversary cable) and cant really notice any significant drop in quality with this new system - although I've not had them side by side. The BR2s are perhaps not quite as full & rich.

All in all, I thoroughly recommend the BR2s with the Teac CR-H255 & have no regrets!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts