Marantz MCR603. Bass seems very boomy, needs a bit more punch? What settings/configuration should i use?

FunHouse4

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
(I've been sent here from the SteveHoffman forum)

Hello i recently bagged myself a Marantz MCR603 system and i'm pairing it with some Mordaunt Short 902i's.

Anyway. The bass currently seems very boomy and the sound doesn't sound very tight at times and it needs more punch (depending on what i'm playing) Now, i see in the settings there is a setting under speaker setup for speaker response and that you can choose between 5 options... Flat > Response 1 > Response 2 > Response 3 > Response 4.

I am currently using the default setting which is Flat. Other configurations would be that I have DBB set to "on", Bass is set to +04 and Treble is set to +02.

Any ideas on what you would recommend? The set up is in a fairly small bedroom (10 ft x 8 ft), the speakers are wall mounted in the corners of the room and my listening position would be in between the 2 speakers, so it's like a triangle. Speaker movement is not possible because of the way the room is laid out. Also saying that... It wasn't an issue with my previous system and the speakers have stayed exactly where they are since the change to the new system.

I previously had a Onkyo CR-725DAB for about 5 years. The sound from that system was great and the only thing i would have liked more would have been a bit more bass.

Any input or advice on this would be great. Hopefully some of you own this system so you can understand my query a bit more.

I heard that the user "Chebby" owns/owned this system, can you offer any advice at all?

Thanks.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I'd set bass/treble to 0 and turn off DBB to start with and then try repositioning your speakers - are they in the corner of a room by any chance? If so then pull them in slightly and try it from there....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have DBB off and default room setting so I can't help you.

My speakers (Rega R3s) have forward firing ports and I have carpeted solid (concrete) floors and solid (plastered brick) walls immediately behind the speakers. The corners of the room are over two feet away from either speaker and half of the room contains open fronted, solid wood book cabinets, so I basically don't ever get any 'boomy' bass.

Set everything to default or 'flat', keep speakers out of corners, mount them on solid stands away from the wall behind.

I am also hopeless to ask because I only ever use fairly moderate volume levels (unlike a lot of people). If you want to go REALLY LOUD then you might well have the wrong gear.

TysonIvanovich

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
My MCR603 died last month, so I was forced to replace it. I also felt it lacked punch, and sometimes had it up at 75% volume trying to get some power.

I had a demo of the MCR610, but it felt very similar to the 603. I then demoed a Yamaha amp (A-S501) and was blown away. From the responses I received on forums, opinion seems to suggest the Marantz mini systems are good for a small system but are not intended to be used as a powerhouse system.

I didn't notice the bass being boomy with my setup, even when setting bass levels as high as they would go. So perhaps experiment with speaker positioning a bit?

FunHouse4 said:
(I've been sent here from the SteveHoffman forum)

Hello i recently bagged myself a Marantz MCR603 system and i'm pairing it with some Mordaunt Short 902i's.

Anyway. The bass currently seems very boomy and the sound doesn't sound very tight at times and it needs more punch (depending on what i'm playing) Now, i see in the settings there is a setting under speaker setup for speaker response and that you can choose between 5 options... Flat > Response 1 > Response 2 > Response 3 > Response 4.

I am currently using the default setting which is Flat. Other configurations would be that I have DBB set to "on", Bass is set to +04 and Treble is set to +02.

Any ideas on what you would recommend? The set up is in a fairly small bedroom (10 ft x 8 ft), the speakers are wall mounted in the corners of the room and my listening position would be in between the 2 speakers, so it's like a triangle. Speaker movement is not possible because of the way the room is laid out. Also saying that... It wasn't an issue with my previous system and the speakers have stayed exactly where they are since the change to the new system.

I previously had a Onkyo CR-725DAB for about 5 years. The sound from that system was great and the only thing i would have liked more would have been a bit more bass.

Any input or advice on this would be great. Hopefully some of you own this system so you can understand my query a bit more.

I heard that the user "Chebby" owns/owned this system, can you offer any advice at all?

Thanks.

Apart from the settings you need to experiement with speaker positioning. I know that can make a difference regardless of what amp/speaker combo you have.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
"the speakers are wall mounted in the corners of the room"

I suspect that is your problem.

If you can't move them then more suitable speakers maybe the answer.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
"the speakers are wall mounted in the corners of the room"

I suspect that is your problem.

If you can't move them then more suitable speakers maybe the answer.

robdmarsh

I've got the Marantz m-cr603 and I'm really pleased with the sound. I haven't found these speaker response settings you're talking about but I would definitely leave them well alone on flat. As far as DBB goes I have it on 90% of the time. The speakers I have, which are old Celestion 3 mkii, and most of the music I listen to sound absolutely fine with this setting. I should say that I don't listen to dance or very heavy bass music as such, but I have wide ranging tastes from classic rock, folk, jazz to classical and everthing in between.

I was listening to Bjork's album "Debut" which has plenty of bass and it sounded pretty amazing to me. Also, I recently downloaded Dark Side of the Moon at 320kbps and it souded blooming great. One thing, though, I've got my speakers on good stands with a bit of breathing space, no more than 6 inches away from the back wall, but they're definitely away from the corners. These little speakers are amazing and I haven't found modern budget equivalents that can match them (Wharfedale Diamond 220 a no, no in my opinion). I think more bass (and I mean tight, integrated bass) is definitely possible but I would have to go for something like Dali zensor 3s. If you find Celestions like mine on Ebay, go for it... they are simply wonderful IMO.

I hope this helps.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
TysonIvanovich said:
...and sometimes had it up at 75% volume trying to get some power.
I do wonder what kind of aircraft hangars some people live in. In my 15'x12' front room, which I didn't think was incredibly small albeit not massive, a '610 can easily go loud enough to give me permanent hearing damage. True enough it's not designed to fill a stadium.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
TysonIvanovich said:
I do wonder what kind of aircraft hangars some people live in. In my 15'x12' front room, which I didn't think was incredibly small albeit not massive, a '610 can easily go loud enough to give me permanent hearing damage. True enough it's not designed to fill a stadium.

A friend of mine runs his ATC SCM11s (and Primare amp) to pain threshold and beyond - in a small living-room - when he is on his own. (A lot of 'Death Metal' and similar.) I have to leave the room long before that to preserve my hearing.

I listen at levels where two people, in the same room, can still hear each other speak.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes increasing the volume just enough so you can't hear each other speak is actually quite nice. If you've been with the same partner for a very long time you'll understand... *mosking*

If our house was fully detached and we didn't have neighbours joined to the left of us I'd increase the volume a little more that I do but even then it would probably be for specific albums. But there is some music that just doesn't sound right at all at low volumes. If I'm at home and I see my neighbour go out then I'll occasionally whack on something that requires some welly. Something like Zen Geurilla of Purescene etc. *dance4* *yahoo* But I too want to preserve what hearing (as chebby says) I have into my inevitable senility *wacko*

TysonIvanovich

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
chebby said:
MajorFubar said:
TysonIvanovich said:

A friend of mine runs his ATC SCM11s (and Primare amp) to pain threshold and beyond - in a small living-room - when he is on his own. (A lot of 'Death Metal' and similar.) I have to leave the room long before that to preserve my hearing.

I listen at levels where two people, in the same room, can still hear each other speak.

I listen at levels where I cannot hear myself shouting along to the music LOL. It also helps to drown out the persistant ringing I have in my ears :)

Of course, it does depend on the "music" I'm playing and the mood I'm in. The Orb doesn't have any shouty bits, and is lovely to chill out to. Slayer needs to be played loud enough to make your eyes bleed.

FunHouse4

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses.

I've decided to leave the 'Treble' set at '+4' and the 'Bass' also set on '+4' and have 'DBB' on and left the speaker response on "Flat" and got it set to "Speaker A" only as i haven't bi-wired the connection.. is that worth doing?

I can't move the speakers, but i'll keep a look out for some ones with front firing bass ports.. does anyone have any recommendations? I have Mordaunt Short 902i's at the moment and love them so i'd like a set that sound similar to those if not even better..

Thanks!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Set the bass and treble to 0 and try and live with it for a week or so.

Use the volume dial if you want 'more'.

The corners usually increase bass booming, turning it up more than likely will compound the problem.

Sometimes less is more. Try that anyway.

FunHouse4

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Based on room layout would you recommend that I get some front ported speakers instead? For example the Monitor Audio BX2's?? I've heard good things about them and they are possible a notch up from the Mordaunt Short 902i's...

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Have you considered Wharfedale 121s or 220s. Due to the design of the speaker cabinet the port on these speakers are downward firing. I have the 121s connected to my CR603, speakers are quite tight to the wall, on brackets. Sounds good to me.

Rich

peter312

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
FunHouse4 said:
I've decided to leave the 'Treble' set at '+4' and the 'Bass' also set on '+4' and have 'DBB' on and left the speaker response on "Flat" and got it set to "Speaker A" only as i haven't bi-wired the connection.. is that worth doing?

When I tried the bi-wired option on the Marantz, there was a slight increase in detail and a slight loss of umph. Bearing in mind what you are trying to achieve I do not think it will help. All IMHO.

FunHouse4

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
8009514 said:
Have you considered Wharfedale 121s or 220s. Due to the design of the speaker cabinet the port on these speakers are downward firing. I have the 121s connected to my CR603, speakers are quite tight to the wall, on brackets. Sounds good to me.

Rich

Ok thanks for that. I'll consider it.

FunHouse4

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
peter312 said:
FunHouse4 said:

When I tried the bi-wired option on the Marantz, there was a slight increase in detail and a slight loss of umph. Bearing in mind what you are trying to achieve I do not think it will help. All IMHO.

Ok, Interesting that you say that the bi-wiring increased the detail. Worth consdering....

TRENDING THREADS