Advice on upgrade please! Onkyo CR-N755 to Marantz pm6005?

BobHoskins2011

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello Folks,

Thanks in advance for any advice. It's very much appreciated.

So I'm looking to upgrade my system. Currently I have an Onkyo cr-n755 going into Dali Zensor 3 speakers. I only really listen to music from my computer, and for that reason I got an Arcam r-Pac. All the cables and interconnects I have are relatively good and recommended in the magazine.

I've got my hands on a lot of high def audio files recently from HD tracks, so I'm interested in upgrading my amp (but if it won't make that much of a difference please let me know!)

Realistically I want to spend up to £300. For this reason I've been looking at the marantz pm6005. But I've also thought about getting the NAD D 3020, and getting rid of my amp and DAC (which would increase my budget).

So I guess my question is, if I upgraded my amp to either of these (or something else in my budget), would it be a noticeable improvement?

Also, I will only really be playing music from my PC.

Again, thanks in advance for any advice.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Hello, I'm pretty sure you'll notice a big difference going to either the Marantz or NAD. Of the two I think the Marantz is the better sounding option, though the NAD is a neater solution.

BobHoskins2011

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Ketan. Not sure how easy to answer this question is, but would it be better to use the onboard DAC on the Marantz by using an optical cable to link it to my computer, or would it be better to keep the arcam r-pac which uses the usb (i'm using atlas element cables to stereo, and supra usb to rPac)?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Ketan Bharadia said:
Hello, I'm pretty sure you'll notice a big difference going to either the Marantz or NAD. Of the two I think the Marantz is the better sounding option, though the NAD is a neater solution.

The Nad and the Marantz are about as different as it gets with budget amplifiers, I much prefer the cool, focussed presentation of the D3020, but that's what I like, particularly if the speakers are a bit weighty in the bass.

BobHoskins2011

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
tbh davedotco, I haven't heard enough different set ups to know what I prefer sound wise. I'm still relatively new to this stuff. I guess I quite like a bright sound. I listen to a lot of instrumental, classical and electronic music (as opposed to say rock), and so I like a lot of clarity, if that's a thing.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BobHoskins2011 said:
tbh davedotco, I haven't heard enough different set ups to know what I prefer sound wise. I'm still relatively new to this stuff. I guess I quite like a bright sound. I listen to a lot of instrumental, classical and electronic music (as opposed to say rock), and so I like a lot of clarity, if that's a thing.

Bloody website, lost my reply.

I'll get back to you when I have more time.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Bob, I will try again.

Basically I made the point that, the rPac, a usb dac, is probably a better bet than using the Marantz or Nad with onboard dac, mainly because the the usb connection is superior in this instance to the Spdif input, coax or toslink required by either amp.

With this in mind I would use the best analogue amplifier I could afford, I am reluctant to recommend any amplifier below the Exposure 1010 or Rega Brio R, both of which are a bit over budget.

If you want to keep within budget, get down to a Dali dealer and try as many amps as you can, buy the one you like best.

BobHoskins2011

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi dave, many thanks for that advice. It turns out there's a hifi place in exeter that stocks both those amps, so I'm going to go down and have a listen. It is a little out of my budget, but I can wait and save a bit more if it's worth it.

matthewpiano

I use a Brio-R in one system, and a 1010 in the other. Both superb amps for the price and a considerable step up from things like the Marantz PM6005. Whichever you go for I don't think you can go wrong.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I use a Brio-R in one system, and a 1010 in the other. Both superb amps for the price and a considerable step up from things like the Marantz PM6005. Whichever you go for I don't think you can go wrong.

At this sort of price the extra couple of hundred quid makes a lot of difference. Both the suggested amps come from manufacturers who have a reputation of cutting through the ******** and concentrating on the basics to very good effect.

Light on facilities compared to the mass market amps and pretty low on bling but the performance is alltogether on a higher level. It's difficult to explain but there is a 'rightness' to the way these amps do things that is engaging in a way that does not 'wear off' with time, you seem to find more and more things that they do right rather than becoming more aware of what they do wrong, really good products.

matthewpiano

davedotco said:
matthewpiano said:

At this sort of price the extra couple of hundred quid makes a lot of difference. Both the suggested amps come from manufacturers who have a reputation of cutting through the ******** and concentrating on the basics to very good effect.

Light on facilities compared to the mass market amps and pretty low on bling but the performance is alltogether on a higher level. It's difficult to explain but there is a 'rightness' to the way these amps do things that is engaging in a way that does not 'wear off' with time, you seem to find more and more things that they do right rather than becoming more aware of what they do wrong, really good products.
My thoughts exactly. I hardly ever think about the equipment when I sit down to listen these days.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I dont think the Marantz pm6005 is a' ********' amp, for the money, its is an excellent piece of kit, its one best of the amps in this sector by far, having owned the yamaha as500 and nad c352c the marantz is musically more involving, and not as dry sounding as the rotel ra10 for example. although I aprecciate the next level up will give an improvement in some areas, but a worthwhile upgrade for me would something like the creek evoloution, which now that i have some funds available is catching my eye for a possible upgrade*biggrin*...

but only if I feel its a step up from the marantz,as I am fairly happy with what I am hearing atm, I am sure I will find out what I have been missing though

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
peterpiper said:
I dont think the Marantz pm6005 is a' ********' amp, for the money, its is an excellent piece of kit, its one best of the amps in this sector by far, having owned the yamaha as500 and nad c352c the marantz is musically more involving, and not as dry sounding as the rotel ra10 for example. although I aprecciate the next level up will give an improvement in some areas, but a worthwhile upgrade for me would something like the creek evoloution, which now that i have some funds available is catching my eye for a possible upgrade*biggrin*...

but only if I feel its a step up from the marantz,as I am fairly happy with what I am hearing atm, I am sure I will find out what I have been missing though

You pay your money and you take your choice. Just as you can make things up in posts that were not said....*wacko*

My personal view is that the two amplifiers mentioned above are in a class above any of the mass market amplifiers, and the fact that they are available around £500 or less makes them fine value. Sure you can spend more and get better but the Creek, the Croft and the Peachtree (my 3 favourite sub £1000 amplifiers) are all a long way beyond the OPs budget whereas an Exposure or a dem Brio R may not be.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
peterpiper said:

You pay your money and you take your choice. Just as you can make things up in posts that were not said....*wacko*

My personal view is that the two amplifiers mentioned above are in a class above any of the mass market amplifiers, and the fact that they are available around £500 or less makes them fine value. Sure you can spend more and get better but the Creek, the Croft and the Peachtree (my 3 favourite sub £1000 amplifiers) are all a long way beyond the OPs budget whereas an Exposure or a dem Brio R may not be.

ok then what was implied ,I do agree though about most budget amps, a lot are awful and I am not suggesting the pm6005 is as good as the brio and others in this sector , but the pm6005 stands out in this crowd, not just because WHF think its superb, but I do too , thats why I bought it, and i would say it can even compare to and better some more expensive amps, but it has its limitation,I dont expect a massive earshattering concert level with speakers of average efficiency especially in a large room . As for the creek amp, looks interesting, but it would have to be a long term keeper and a notable upgrade,

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
peterpiper said:
davedotco said:
peterpiper said:

ok then what was implied ,I do agree though about most budget amps, a lot are awful and I am not suggesting the pm6005 is as good as the brio and others in this sector , but the pm6005 stands out in this crowd, not just because WHF think its superb, but I do too , thats why I bought it, and i would say it can even compare to and better some more expensive amps, but it has its limitation,I dont expect a massive earshattering concert level with speakers of average efficiency especially in a large room . As for the creek amp, looks interesting, but it would have to be a long term keeper and a notable upgrade,

What was implied is that the Exposure and the Brio R cut through to the basics and concentrate on them, simple designs, good power supplies, minimal facilities and non glitzy casework. Personally I think they are head and shoulders above the mass market amps mentioned, but then they should be, they are nearly twice the price and do not have onboard dacs, tone controls or speaker switching.

Different beasts entirely.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
peterpiper said:
davedotco said:
peterpiper said:

What was implied is that the Exposure and the Brio R cut through to the basics and concentrate on them, simple designs, good power supplies, minimal facilities and non glitzy casework. Personally I think they are head and shoulders above the mass market amps mentioned, but then they should be, they are nearly twice the price and do not have onboard dacs, tone controls or speaker switching.

Different beasts entirely.

Fair enough, but i could not live with an amp without a facility to tone adjument if needed , no matter how perfect and synergised the sytem is, but thats just me, adding them does not always mean the qaulity of the amp is comprimised, the creek has tone adjustemt for example, but you will know that no doubt

BobHoskins2011

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the information above.

I was personally looking for an amp that was stripped down to the basics, and focussed on performance above other things (i.e. looks, features). I want to get as much musical quality as possible for my money.

With regards to the lack of tone controls as peterpiper mentioned above, I did notice myself. Is there a specific difference between changing the levels/tone/equalizer in the music player on my PC (JRiver Media Center) and the ones on the amp itself (if it had them)?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BobHoskins2011 said:
Thanks for the information above.

I was personally looking for an amp that was stripped down to the basics, and focussed on performance above other things (i.e. looks, features). I want to get as much musical quality as possible for my money.

With regards to the lack of tone controls as peterpiper mentioned above, I did notice myself. Is there a specific difference between changing the levels/tone/equalizer in the music player on my PC (JRiver Media Center) and the ones on the amp itself (if it had them)?

Hi Bob,

This is one of the issues, hi-fi systems are not changing quickly enough to reflect the changes in the way that music is now listened to in the home. As you point out, your media player has good eq, effected in the digital domain but you worry that this might not be as good as the comparitively crude analogue eq on some amplifiers. Likewise the media player has volume control, how much do you need one on the amplifier?

The best results from a PC usually come from the usb outputs yet few amplifiers, even those who have dacs do not have such an input. Putting a system together using traditional components seems quite wasteful, doubling up on volume, eq and invariably having too many active (gain stages).

I have pared my own system down to the minimum, using the onboard dac of my early AEX direct into active speakers, or if you prefer, a minimalist amplifier and passive speakers. There is sufficient adjustment in the system to make sure that the gain is optimised throughout, important in my view.

For example, the Peachtree Nova (£800) is an example of where amplifiers need to go, minimalist in most respects, it does offer an asyncronous dac for direct connection to a PC, Spdif and analogue inputs, good headphone amplifier, in fact most of what you need in a modern system.

BobHoskins2011

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
thank you dave and ketan for the info. honestly, very useful.

Today on ebay I managed to purchase the exposure 1010 amp and cd player (like new) with some Kef Q5 speakers (one needs repairing) for £425.

I realise I haven't tested the amp yet with my speakers, so it could be a mismatch, but for that price I'm confident I can sell the bits on and get my money back at least if I need to.

Any chance you could recommend somewhere that does speaker repairs?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BobHoskins2011 said:
thank you dave and ketan for the info. honestly, very useful.

Today on ebay I managed to purchase the exposure 1010 amp and cd player (like new) with some Kef Q5 speakers (one needs repairing) for £425.

I realise I haven't tested the amp yet with my speakers, so it could be a mismatch, but for that price I'm confident I can sell the bits on and get my money back at least if I need to.

Any chance you could recommend somewhere that does speaker repairs?

It depends what needs doing. Replacing drive units is usually the simple job, anyone with rudimentary DIY skills can do that. Otherwise, derermine exactly what is actually wrong with the speaker and speak to Kef. They should be able to help.

The Exposures are likely to be older models but this should not be an issue, tremendous value even if the Kefs turn out to worthless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts