Recommendation

skydynamics

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
hi all,

i'm not sure if this is the right forum but i'm looking to purchase my first system. i'm looking for something small for my bedroom around 13x14ft. Looking for amp and speakers that are good with wide range of music. I'd like to keep the budget around $1000. Please advise something that I can get in the US. I'll be playing music through my Macbook Pro. Thanks

rainsoothe

Hi.

In before dave (?) Ok, thing is you need something with a DAC. The best sound that budget can buy you would be actives + audio interface or preamp/dac with variable pre outs. This means Behringer UCA 202 and a pair of Adam A5X monitors. Or, instead of the Behringer, a Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 (with upgrades). The Behringer and the Adams you can find in a place called thomann, Maverick Audio have their own website. People also rate AVI active speakers, but I have never heard them, so I cannot comment.

Now, if you don't wanna go actives (although, again, those would provide best sound for money) there are some nice options out there: Nad D 3020 + Dali Zensor 3, Micromega MyAmp + Q Acoustics Concept 20, Micromega MyDac + used Rotel RA 1062 + used B&W 602 S3, Micromega MyDac + Denon PMA 720E or Marantz PM6005 + Dali Zensor 3, Marantz MCR 610 + Dali Zensor 3 (this marantz is a streamer + CD player + radio ---> this would be a really clean sollution).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Very different from the uk and unless you really want to pay a premium for imported product, take a look at US brands.

As a Dac/pre-amp the Maverick TubeMagic D1 is a good call as are the more comventional products from Emotiva, fantastic value in the US but barely known in europe.

Similarly, one of my favourite speakers is the Equator D5 (or the D8 in a large room). Available direct at very sensible prices in the US, the D5 has the kind of midband resolution that matches speakers like the Kef LS50 and at a fraction of the price.

Only issue is that new MK2 models are due, but not yet released. There might be some cheaper originals still about, if the price is right, still great speakers.

If you want to use european type speakers, Adam, Genelec etc, take a look at the Thomann site in germany, it will give you a good idea whether the US prices are sensible or not.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
NAD D3020 and Martin Logan LX16 (same as Motion 15 -much cheaper). If you ever decide that you need more bass you can add a sub. With all the connectivity options of the D3020 you can not go wrong.

skydynamics

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
thank you for your suggestions. Im down to the D3020 and the bluesound powernode. The Dali Zensor 3, Martin Logan LX16, or the new wharfedale diamond 220 is good to pair with the amps mentioned? I can't audition these around my area. Which one of these speakers would handle all range of music?

skydynamics said:
thank you for your suggestions. Im down to the D3020 and the bluesound powernode. The Dali Zensor 3, Martin Logan LX16, or the new wharfedale diamond 220 is good to pair with the amps mentioned? I can't audition these around my area. Which one of these speakers would handle all range of music?

I can only speak for the Whardales and Dali's as have not heard the Martin Logans. Of the two personally I would say the Wharfdale is a more 'all round' speaker but have no idea as to the price differences where you are. If you simply cannot audition either of these perhaps you should let price decide, I doubt you'd be disappointed with either.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I tend to agree with what Al said. I did not hear the 220 but used to have Diamond 10.1. Based on the reviews the 220 is quite a bit better than the 10.1 which I enjoyed with my NAD 326.The port location at the base makes them much more flexible about the placement.

skydynamics

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
My uncle is giving me his Polk floor standing speakers. I can't figure out the model number though. Will the D3020 powerful enough to drive floor standing speakers? thanks.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mickyblue wrote>I use my macbook pro with some KEF X300A active speakers

I think also great advice. Youll be supprised at the sound they produce

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts