Recommend me a

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I was hoping to add a Pro-Ject 2Experience SB DC to my demonstration tomorrow but it's not been possible. I'm lined up for a Rega RP3, Clearaudio Concept and a Pro-Ject Classic.

Has anyone heard a Pro-Ject Classic in comparison to a Pro-Ject 2Experience SB DC? I'm curious right now, because I think tomorrow's results will hinge a lot on the signature sound differences between the 3 manufacturers. Mainly judging by it's price and other posts here and out there on the internet, I get the impression that a 2Experience SB DC could outshine a Classic, but I won't be able to make an exact comparison on the models without arranging another subsequent demo.

There was some news here at the time the 2Experience SBDC was introduced at a hi fi exhibition, maybe more news has happened since then.

Christopher Ward said:
I was hoping to add a Pro-Ject 2Experience SB DC to my demonstration tomorrow but it's not been possible. I'm lined up for a Rega RP3, Clearaudio Concept and a Pro-Ject Classic.

Has anyone heard a Pro-Ject Classic in comparison to a Pro-Ject 2Experience SB DC? I'm curious right now, because I think tomorrow's results will hinge a lot on the signature sound differences between the 3 manufacturers. Mainly judging by it's price and other posts here and out there on the internet, I get the impression that a 2Experience SB DC could outshine a Classic, but I won't be able to make an exact comparison on the models without arranging another subsequent demo.

There was some news here at the time the 2Experience SBDC was introduced at a hi fi exhibition, maybe more news has happened since then.

I have not heard both but would assume that as both use the same cartridge, and this is what the sound is ultimately down to, choice between them would come down essential to looks.

That's great and convenient news Al, thanks very much. I thought the variables and commonalities involved in both models such as awards received vs reviews vs year of introduction vs cartridge vs tonearm material vs price etc brought them both to be about on a par with each other. Cheers.

I can understand why some people might think the cartridge is the be all and end all, but just like a multi-component system, every aspect is important, and will have their own contribution to the end result. I’m sure if you put an AT95E onto an VPI Prime Signature, and an Audio Technica ART1000 cartridge onto a Pioneer PL990, it’d prove a point. Sure, you’d hear greater refinement in the expensive cartridge, but there’d be numerous other aspects that are just as important that’d be lacking.

What you’d be comparing Chris, is the deck and tone arm directly (if you were to audition both), as the cartridges are the same. It just depends how different both of those decks are ‘behind the scenes’, so to speak.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davidf said:
I can understand why some people might think the cartridge is the be all and end all, but just like a multi-component system, every aspect is important, and will have their own contribution to the end result. I’m sure if you put an AT95E onto an VPI Prime Signature, and an Audio Technica ART1000 cartridge onto a Pioneer PL990, it’d prove a point. Sure, you’d hear greater refinement in the expensive cartridge, but there’d be numerous other aspects that are just as important that’d be lacking.

What you’d be comparing Chris, is the deck and tone arm directly (if you were to audition both), as the cartridges are the same. It just depends how different both of those decks are ‘behind the scenes’, so to speak.

Even that is not completely true, some cartridges suit some arms/decks better than others, carts are different sizes and weights, some catridges you may not even be able to fit to some arms. Also it assumes that the dealer has set up both perfectly.

I had a great time at Analogue seduction this afternoon, and to my own surprise I bought a Pro-Ject 2-Xperience SB DC turntable.

I listened to this deck plus a Pro-Ject Classic and a Clearaudio Concept. Yes, I really did decide to not buy a Clearaudio Concept! I'll write some blurb in case any other lover of "bottom end sounds" (ah-em!) needs an opinion on what TTs to have a listen to.

Analogue Seduction had been faithful in their preparation and had set up some B & W 683 S2 speakers which are a better than my 684 S2's and a Rotel R12 amplifier which is a step up from my old RA04 amp.

I took a dozen records of various music types but ended up using these in the demo:

Rhythm & Sound - Aground/Aerial 12"

Sylford Walker - Lamb's Bread LP

Funkadelic s/t LP

First in the demo was the 2Xperience and I enjoyed the sound of all the records like I'd never heard before. Great stereo image, superb bass and drums with a taut and big bottom end sound and the midrange came through clear. Could hear all of the deliberate hissing and echo in the Rhythm and Sound record which soon became the "test record" of the day. It was a bit of a WTF moment because I'd never heard a TT as good as this or the other contenders in the past.

Next was the Pro-Ject Classic which had a sound I also enjoyed straightaway, but it semed a little less deep and powerful than the 2-Xperience. It was an almost identical sound to the 2-Xperience which is inevitable, but it sounded like the higher spec components (but not the cartridge) on the 2-Xperience made a slight tangible difference. This knocked the Classic out of the running.

Next was the Clearaudio Concept, which I noticed straightaway had a different sound to the Pro-Jects so it was worth taking a day out to make a proper comparison and understand the "signature sounds". It sounded good, but (here's where my hi-fi vocabulary deficiences become apparent) it seemed to not know what to do with the records I played on it. I tried to clear my brain of all the words I'd read recently about the Clearaudio, and I think even with a blank slate it sounded too clinical, cold, unloving (?!) and to quote our hosts here "almost digital". The bass and drums sounded flabby and didn't seem to end properly compared to the Pro-Jects which seemed to let the bottom end notes fade away naturally and unabruptly. The top end sounded more pronounced on all the records, but at a loss to the other parts of the music. Midranges seemed more detailed on some records than the Pro-Jects, and less detailed than the Pro-Jects on other records. My overriding thought was after running all my records through the Clearaudio was "this sounds great, but I don't like it as much as the Pro-Jects". To my ears it sounded like it was overcompensating in the middle and top end.

A Rega RP3 was on stand by to be demonstrated but that was left aside for the Pro-Ject and Concept to fight it out.

I had another listen to the 2-Xperience with the Rhythm & Sound 12" and the squelchiest Lee Scratch Perry 12" I possess. I liked it even more in the second round than the first go. Me and Terry at AS were nodding our heads along to the 2-Xperience which says something about the noise it makes. It sounded more "in your face" which I appreciated. It seemed to be able to read my mind or ears and know exactly how much effort to expend on the trail of echoing sounds.

I think I'd subconsciously decided by this point but to make sure I had another listen to the Concept with the same R & S and Scratch 12"s, which gave the Concept a decent chance to present itself but again it didn't deliver the same vibes as the Pro-Ject. I could follow the sound spectrum as it played out and enjoyed some parts of the whole, but through each track I was thinking "when is going to step up a notch?". After round 2 I was left thinking "what kind of music is best for playing on a Clearadio Concept?" because I don't think I possess any such tunes, hence my decision because almost all I listen to is reggae, hip hop and other bass and drum heavy madness.

So in a nutshell of a single sentence, I enjoyed the Pro-Ject 2-Xperience's sound across the whole sound spectrum more than the Clearaudio Concept.

I admit my spectrum doesn't encompass all music types, and a classical music fan may perhaps have an opposite view to mine if they tested the same TTs with their records, but I'm very content at my end of the spectrum. While typing this hot air for posterity I've tried to think of other words to describe the 2-Xperience other than the usual adjectives of "warm" and "full sounding", but these can still be applied one more time here.

The new addition to the family is coming home on Saturday morning. Big respect to Analogue Seduction for entertaining me, I recommend this retailer wholeheartedly.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Nice result. They really are a great bunch at Analogue.
The 2XPSB in Walnut was my first staff purchase when I started here at Henley, that coupled with a Lehmann Black Cube SE phono stage suits my ears to a tee. Didn't take me long to add a 2M Black to the setup which is awesome, but sometimes I feel at little too detailed. It's currently running a Quintet Black on loan which is another step up again in the aural ladder and is a perfect match in my opinion. Happy listening !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts