Recommend Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
They can be a pain to find in Android market, can't they :(

We've got a feature coming up in the next issue re some of the best music/movie/TV-related Apps....

What are you after - games, productivity, utilties?

daveh75

Advanced Task Killer ( quick and easy way of killing apps)

Lookout Security (anti-virus/malware, back-up/restore, and phone finder)

Spotify

TuneIn Radio (internet radio streaming)

Opera Mini and Opera Mobile (better than the default webkit browser)

Remote For iTunes

Double Twist/Double Twist AirSync ( allows you to play/sync iTunes content over wifi)

Tapatalk and Forum Runner (lightweight forum readers, handy if you cant get a reliable 3G//wifi signal - Dependant on Forum software and Forum owner/admin installing/enabling the plugins though)

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I have loads of apps installed - these are some of my favs...

Dolphin HD - excellent internet browser

AudioGalaxy - Stream your home music collection wherever you are (wifi or 3g)

Poweramp - Music Player supporting many formats including flac

Extended media scanner (adds media files to android library so players can play them via library functions).

Titanium Backup - backup your entire phone

SoundHound - names tunes by "listening" and gives lyrics, youtube links, info etc.

2Player - dlna controller (eg stream music from your NAS to another device)

TuneIn Radio - over 50,000 internet radio stations

Skifta - stream videos,music,photos from any DLNA device

Arcmedia - plays virtually any video format

Google Maps/Earth/Sky/Goggles/Shopper

Astro File Manager

Sky+ - remote control ur skybox whilst out

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I was a very early starter with Android (got a HTC Hero the week it came out) and have quite a few apps I like but interested in other people’s choices.

Some interesting suggestions so far, will get downloading soon.

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I was a very early starter with Android (got a HTC Hero the week it came out) and have quite a few apps I like but interested in other people’s choices.

Some interesting suggestions so far, will get downloading soon.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
I have loads of apps installed - these are some of my favs...

Dolphin HD - excellent internet browser

AudioGalaxy - Stream your home music collection wherever you are (wifi or 3g)

Poweramp - Music Player supporting many formats including flac

Extended media scanner (adds media files to android library so players can play them via library functions).

Titanium Backup - backup your entire phone

SoundHound - names tunes by "listening" and gives lyrics, youtube links, info etc.

2Player - dlna controller (eg stream music from your NAS to another device)

TuneIn Radio - over 50,000 internet radio stations

Skifta - stream videos,music,photos from any DLNA device

Arcmedia - plays virtually any video format

Google Maps/Earth/Sky/Goggles/Shopper

Astro File Manager

Sky+ - remote control ur skybox whilst out
That's a great list -Cheers for sharing -having got myself a Galaxy I've been looking for things to exploit the investment.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
3G Watchdog - Keep tabs on your 3G usage

Contact2Sim - Backing up my contacts list to the SIM card as I sometimes use another phone

Dolphin Browser - Great android browser

FreeCaddie - Free Golf GPS software. Just as good as my mate's dedicated device (except his battery doesn't run out after 24 hours)

Google Goggles - Try it!

My Grid Ref - Great for hill walking but you need a map. I'm probably going to try Viewranger if I stick with Android

PowerAmp - Best music player I've tried but does cost. WinAmp pretty good and free

Ringdroid - Make your own ringtones

Sky+ - Same as everyone else

Soccer Scores - Will do until Sky Sports look beyond Apple devices

SqueezeCommander - Great app for controlling your Logitech Squeezebox and a lot better than the free Logitech official one

UK Newspapers Online - does what it says on the tin

XBMC Remote - Great app for controlling your home cinema PC

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Solo lite- cool guitar app

IMDB- latest movie trailers

Android lightsaber--may the force be with you

Free music download- does what it says on the tin

sky and bbc sport--great on matchdays for live goals results ect.

Guns- for online FPS-gamers

And of course there is allways room for CHRISTMAS SNOW GLOBE

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Games wise. Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons & Yoo Ninja are all addictive and free. There are a few decent tower defence games, of which GRave defence Silver is my fave (also free).

I like the Google sky map which shows the names of the stars & constellations as you move the phone around the night sky.

I've also got the speedtest.net app for testing broadband speeds while at work (usually quicker than getting someone to do it on their laptop/PC, and will prove if connection problems are down to their laptop/PC or not.)

BBC iPlayer of course.

For all you rockers out there, there's RadioX & TOTALROCK radio apps

Apps I don't use much are the Qlock2 app. Lovely clock in the real world, if a little pricey, but the app doesn't keep the phone display on and you can't set it as a wallpaper... I also bought a game called Heavy Gunner, not a bad game but a bit samey and my interest soon faded.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
gstrings - an instrument tuner better than most professional tuners.

Viewranger - maps cost £100 for full UK but excellent for hiking.

Sportstracker - my favourite GPS exercise tracker.

Beautiful widgets - clock and weather.

Spare Parts - A few tweeks missing from settings.

Dropbox - Sync files such as office files.

Documents2Go - Edit office files on the go.

Copilot - reasonable navigation for cycling or driving.

Zeam Launcher - Very lightweight desktop alternative.

Keyboard from android 2.3 - Standard keyboard if your phone has a personal version.

Pure Calendar Widget - um calendar

Ultimate Guitar Tabs - tabs

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Soundhound is better, care to elaborate ?

Thanks Chebby for the Sony BD app tip - didn't know there was one, it's for Apple too :)

A

Anonymous

Swiftkey is superb for a couple of quid with the best predictive text ever and a lovely keyboard.
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

Only ones I can think of that haven't been mentioned are Colournote (good note keeping app), Stupid Zombies (addictive game of bouncing bullets off stuff and hitting zombies) and Noom (great for tracking what you eat/excercise etc...). deciBel is a handy decibel meter, which is worth a free download too.

Surprised no one has mentioned Unified Remote too. Basically allows you to control your pc without being at it, not quite remote desktop, but its great for the lazier of us lot!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
d4v3pum4 said:
FreeCaddie - Free Golf GPS software. Just as good as my mate's dedicated device (except his battery doesn't run out after 24 hours)

I agree, the free version is great. The pro version, which only costs £6 is even better. It uses google maps to show an overhead view of the hole and the distances to hazards as well as the usual distance to front, centre and back of green. It's a massive bargain, esoecially when you think that those dedicated golf range finders used to cost a good few hundred quid.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
d4v3pum4 said:

I agree, the free version is great. The pro version, which only costs £6 is even better. It uses google maps to show an overhead view of the hole and the distances to hazards as well as the usual distance to front, centre and back of green. It's a massive bargain, esoecially when you think that those dedicated golf range finders used to cost a good few hundred quid.

Yes, that's the other one of the two apps I've paid for (Poweramp is the other), the only downside is if the Google map isn't up to date, the course I play at only has the front 9 because the back 9 didn't exist when the satellite passed overhead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts