Receivers with DAB ???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked b/4, but does anyone have any idea if DAB will be available on Home Cinima Amps soon?

I'm ready to upgrade, but will wait if it's on the horizon.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:It's not at the moment, although some Onkyo models will accept an add-on module via their universal accessory port on the rear.

Thanks Andrew, but does "not at the moment" interpret as not for a long time yet?
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

daveh75:Why bother, when DAB quality is so poor and you can get better quality from Sky/Freesat/Freeview or a VM box connected to your receiver.

emotion-3.gif
Really, DAB's poor quality? TBH I've not heard it yet, just thought it'd be better.

How exactly does a VM box attach and work?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
piobob:Thanks Andrew, but does "not at the moment" interpret as not for a long time yet?
emotion-1.gif

I don't know of any firm plans to build in DAB as standard on receivers, though of course all that may change if the plan to make Britain all-digital for radio comes to pass.

Manufacturers seem to be concentrating on internet radio instead, where they fit extra radio provision.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
piobob:How exactly does a VM box attach and work?

Virgin Media set-top telly box. Can connect via analogue or digital.

Doh!! Didn't realise it is a Virgin box. When I Googled, Virtual Mail came up.
emotion-10.gif

I guess I'll persevere with Sky/Freeview then.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
piobob:
Sorry if this has been asked b/4, but does anyone have any idea if DAB will be available on Home Cinima Amps soon?

Yamaha used to do DAB on one or two of its previous AV amps/receivers, but has dropped it on its 2009 model range. They say they'll only bring it back if there's sufficient demand from dealers and customers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FM quality is still the best (but only with a good roof aerial and decent reception) however it may be switched off as early as 2015. (Although this is deadline is looking less likely as time progresses and may be significantly delayed.) Also - depending on your local transmitter and reception - choice of stations varies.

Freeview (Virgin Media, Sky box etc) radio via an optical digital audio connection is pretty good quality, certainly better than DAB, and will usually have more station choice but not Classic FM, and there are no local stations on my Freeview. YMMV.

Internet radio quality can vary from 'pitiful' to excellent. Again, the better internet stations sound better than DAB. BBC iPlayer and live radio on the internet are excellent. Choice is vast. Around 8000 - 10,000 'stations' although I doubt anyone has tested how many are still active. Still, plenty by any measure.

DAB. Oh dear, what can I say? A protocol straight out of the Ark (MP2) and lower bit-rates than Freeview equivalents - in most cases - and rubbish 'building penetration' (even according to the BBC's own research studies) which makes a DAB roof aerial essential even assuming you get decent coverage for your post code. Uses more power than FM also.

Even a comparison using a respected DAB/FM tuner like the Denon TU1800 (fed with seperate FM and DAB optimised roof aerials) reveals DAB as 'flat' and lifeless in contrast to the same station on FM. (I have also read a report of a similar test conducted with an Arcam T32 recently with similar results.)

In your position I would say go with Freeview/Virgin/Sky via digital output into a DAC or internet radio, unless you don't mind investing in (or already have) a decent FM roof aerial and an FM tuner. I know from personal experience that an excellent, used Denon tuner can easily be picked up for £10 - £25 from an online auction site.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
piobob:

I don't know about the new amps, but if you can still find the Denon 4308 it has DAB. It is a terrific receiver by the way.

DAB is one of the only things I miss on my Yamaha DSP-Z7. When I tested the DAB on Denon 4308 it sounded so much better than any internet radio I have come across.

A

Anonymous

Ok, looks like I need to do a bit of Googling.

# chebby....thanks for that. I do have a decent aerial and use a Sony DB830 receiver and must admit FM is pretty good, just thought DAB would be better.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Denon 1910 so do you think this would suffice or, as you advise, get a cheap tuner as well?

TRENDING THREADS