Reasonbly priced CD player: Onkyo 7555, NAD 545 or Cambridge 640C v2.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new cd player for my Yamaha 596 stereo amp and Audio Pro E6 speakers. Music - techno, breaks, rock, classical, jazz

What do you think about Onkyo 7555, NAD 545 and Cambridge 640C v2. Which do you think is the best one?

Thanks for attention,

BR

matthewpiano

The NAD 545BEE is superb, and better than the 640C V2, although that is also a very talented player, particularly if you can get a good deal on it now it has been discontinued.

The NAD is very musical with plenty of detail and drive. Its a pleasure to use as well and very good value for money. It does deserve a better amp than your Yamaha though. I think you'd soon find yourself wanting to match it up with the C326BEE.

I'm not familiar with the Onkyo player.

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
I used to have a Nad 541i, paired with a Nad 314 amp which I liked a lot, but when the cdp broke last year the only player in my budget was a ca 640c. I was a bit disappointed at first, the bass seemed more boomy with the nad amp, although other than that I can't say I noticed any real difference. However, this Christmas I bought a ca 640a v2 amp, £199.95 at Richer Sounds, and that has made a noticable difference. The bass is much tighter and I've heard things on cds I've never heard before, particularly at the top end. My one reservation is that I think the middle can be a little bright on a few cds at anything much beyond 9 o clock on the amp, which i think may be more to do with the amp. But it sounds fantastic with stuff like Biosphere, DJ Cam, Ninja Tunes, Bonobo, and most jazz and classical that I've played. Personally, I think at £149.95 at Richer Sounds the cdp is good value as long as your amp and speakers aren't over bright.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
iRaver:I'm looking for a new cd player for my Yamaha 596 stereo amp and Audio Pro E6 speakers.

Obvious choice (to me) would be a Yamaha CD-S700. (£300 - £350 depending on where you buy it.)

T

the record spot

Google Onkyo 7555 and if your one's the same as the Onkyo DX-7555 that Stereophile reviewed, then I'd suggest you look it over and have a read. Nice little machine by the looks of things and worth shortlisting.

Incidentally, Superfi have the Onkyo 9555 amp for £249, down from £500 which also gets a good review from Stereophile.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
iRaver:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new cd player for my Yamaha 596 stereo amp and Audio Pro E6 speakers. Music - techno, breaks, rock, classical, jazz

What do you think about Onkyo 7555, NAD 545 and Cambridge 640C v2. Which do you think is the best one?

Thanks for attention,

BR

Hi:

I've been using my 640c v2 for the past one year, and I'd say it's a very good budget cdp. It does what it shoud do for the price. Since 650 is into market, if you get the 640 for a good price, go for it.

A

Anonymous

I bought an Onkyo DX-7555 last week, sight unseen, and it should arrive this week. I'll try to remember to post some comments here. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the others so any positive comments of mine will be of limited value.

[Updated to mention name of CD player - argh!]

A

Anonymous

In my opinion the 650C sounds quite a bit better than the 640C V2. If that fits in your budget, it could be a better option than the 640C V2.

If you have the chance, test the unit before buying. I've seen a defective 550C and a defective 650C... both exhibited the same problem (mild buzzing noise from the speakers when CD is inserted). Try playing a CD and hit pause. Raise the volume of your amplifier. If you get a buzing noise, request for a different unit.

A

Anonymous

Hi all, thx a lot for your replies.

I didnt actually thought of Cambridge before but some shops are offering very good discounts on it now. I heard there are issues with reliability and user reviews of the product are quite controversial.

2 record spot - yeah i googled all about Nad and Onkyo and didn't find any bad reviews for them. Some said that Onkyo would fit better for Yamaha amp because it is Japanese as well as the amp. Actually, I don't want to change my amp yet cause I quite like it. I
was in hi-fi shops yesterday and was told that Yamaha CD-S700 is the
best option if I want to keep my amp (same as chebby wrote) For some
reason forgot to include it on the list.

Some say that it's better to buy products of the same brand cause they tune them specially to fit each other. Others think it is ok to mix different brands in a system. What do others think about that and about Yamaha CD-S700?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Cambridge Audio doesn't have any worse track record in reliability than many other companies. I've heard plenty of complaints about NAD, Cyrus, Rega, and Roksan.

In regard to Yamaha CD-S700, it's a terrific machine and often overlooked. The transport is as quiet as it can be and it reflects in the sound quality. Actually, it's one of the strongest contenders for my own system.

However, if you plan on upgrading the rest of your system to something else later, then there would be no point in matching them now.

I personally don't care for matching systems, since I've found companies to excel at different areas. There are so many choices!

A

Anonymous

Yamaha CD-S700 didn't recieve good points in whathifi review though...

matthewpiano

Agree with batonwielder about reliability. I used a Cambridge 340C as my transport for a long time (with a V-DAC) and it never gave me a moment's trouble. It still works perfectly now in another set-up. I've never had any reliability problems with any CA gear, although you can be unlucky with any brand.

A

Anonymous

I must admit I'm a sucker for less than enthusiastic reviews! Even If I had been prepared to spend £290, which seems to be the Yamaha's current best price, What Hi-Fi's criticism of its timing would have discouraged me from considering it.

Have you considered the Marantz CD6003? What Hi-Fi seems fond of it, and it was £250 when I last noticed its price.

There are too many hi-fi generalisations [irony intended]. One-make systems are sometimes the best option and sometimes not. The only way to know for sure is to listen to the available options.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
OP:

+3 for CAs great reputation for reliability, been a year, still going great my 640c v2, not even a single hitch, but am i lucky ?

Having said that, I see more reliable issue with NAD budget components than with CA.

matthewpiano

At the end of the day, if you have any concerns about reliability just buy the player of choice from Richer Sounds and pay 10% more for their 5 year cover. I've done exactly that with my CD player and amp, and my speakers came with a 5 year warranty anyway.

A

Anonymous

all right chebby you quite convicnced me on that one - I'll go for the red electric iron)

Well, Tetrist, all options are available but in Russia the testing procedure can sometimes be rather tiresome and it's rather hard to make some shop assistants to work and connect everything. BTW, it'll be really nice if you drop a line or two ab the onkyo cdp u bought.

As for Cambridge, well i think i will need at least to try it, cause it now costs twice as less as the other abovementioned contenders.

As I can see, no one seems to know anything ab the Onkyo...

Anyway, GREAT THANKS TO ALL for ur time, I really apreciate. I will post a comment here when I finally buy the device.

Cheers

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Firstly I will declare my interest as the very proud owner of a CA 640C v2

For you I think the NAD 545 is probably the way to go, it's more neutral than the 640C and will probably blend better with you existing amp/speakers but, as ever, only YOUR ears will ultimately decide. Of course as has been previously debated it's hard to properly audition any CA kit as Richersounds don't really do demo rooms.

T

the record spot

iRaver:As I can see, no one seems to know anything ab the Onkyo...

Well, not heard it, but the reviews of their kit are very positive, WHF appearing to be the only exception to the more enthusiastic reviews. Their latest amp and CD player kit for £350 apiece only took 3 stars I think, however, others have been way more positive. Stereophile and Hi Fi World to name but two, and the former gave the 7555 player a very decent review.

If you can, demo it - it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on it.

A

Anonymous

My Onkyo DX-7555 arrived yesterday, and I had a chance to listen to a few CDs. I tried the two filter options and the clock-rate adjuster with several CDs. Surprisingly, considering that I've lost the top octave of my hearing, the "soft" filter sounded too muffled for comfort, even on one or two CDs where high treble seemed overbearing, so I stuck to the "sharp" filter. Also, I could not hear the improvement
in attack that the soft filter was supposed to bring. With either filter, the starts of notes seemed unremarkable, typical of CD, and nowhere near as good as I remember from the Naim CD5 and better Naim CD players. The clock-rate adjuster had no obvious effect but the instructions say to try it on CDs that sound blurred, and I haven't yet come across such a CD.

Instruments on the DX-7555, compared with my Onkyo DV-SP502E disc player and my M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard, tend to sound more vivid and focussed with better pitch, note-shape and expressiveness. I didn't do any direct comparisons because the differences were obvious enough for it to be unnecessary.

Even in the first few seconds of the first CD, Perfume - Complete Best by Perfume, drum sounds that had previously been "thunks" of vaguely discernible pitch were tighter, with satisfyingly clear pitch variation and shape. Throughout the CD the musical significance became apparent of sounds that previously seemed to have been thrown into the mix in a fit of indiscipline. Even distortion effects, which on one track had previously seemed overdone, sounded more precise. What had previously sounded almost like a crackly contact now sounded crisp and raspy.

I hardly ever listen to Avril Lavigne's first two albums, mainly because they hurt my ears. I think of them as "painstakingly badly produced" because they seem carefully worked to sound the way they do. To my surprise, they were a lot easier on the ear with the DX-7555. As before, instruments were more real, music made more sense and distortion was better handled. It seems as if my disc player and soundcard had been freaking out and introducing their own distortion in response to distortion effects.

The next CD I can remember was another badly produced one, Single Hits Collection. Best of Avex Anime 11999-2003, which is a copy-protected CD. On this, similar observations apply,but high-frequency vocal harmonics were unpleasantly loud compared with the DV-SP502E and the Audiophile 192. Nevertheless, even in this case I preferred the "sharp" filter, and the sound was better focussed than I had previously heard.

My tentative conclusion is that the DX-7555 is comprehensively better than the DV-SP502E and the Audiophile 192 but perhaps not by an "order of magnitude" (to be meaninglessly precise) in any one way - i.e. it's noticeably better in almost every way but not to a huge degree. I suspect, for example, that the Naim CD5 would wipe the floor with it.

What this means regarding comparison with the Cambridge, NAD or any similarly-priced player I cannot say...

Update 23:19: Listening to the first CD of the day I've found that the effects of the clock adjuster are noticeable, albeit not useful. I'm not sure if it's the CD or the fact that the DX-7555 has been switched on for more than 24 hours. I expect it might also need some burning in.

Update 2010-01-21 17:51: The sound is still improving. It's a normal sort of thing to happen but I'm a born pessimist, so I'm still a bit surprised! The last two CDs I listened to sounded better with the slow filter. Although I could hear the "roll-off" in comparison with the sharp filter neither CD sounded muffled, and the expected improvement in attack (and dynamics in general) that was previously non-existent is now quite audible. I won't say more, for now, but I'm very pleased with the DX-7555.

A

Anonymous

Thx for ur review Tetrist. As for me I've been to the hi-fi shop and compared yamaha 700 with onkyo 7555. I connected in to the yamaha 497 amp which is imo basically the same as 596. I just adore the way Onkyo looks and I wanted it form the beginning so I might have been a little bit inclined towards buying the 7555.
I'm not an expert of writing things like "focused expressiveness" etc. but I'll do my best. I switched on "direct" button on the amp and listened to onkyo first. The first CD was with electro track (very good quality) and breaks (good quality, utterly powerful bass) The sound impressed me. The bass wasn't blurred but precise. I heard numerous samples that I didn't catch with my yamaha 661 dvd. When I inserted the same disc in 700 I didn't hear big difference but it was certainly a little bit louder. Then I inserted Deep Purple cd, Highway star (recorded in 1970-es with way less quality u get from today pc-recorded electronic music), played it on both cdps and then I got it. Yamaha sounded much louder now, bass guitars sounded more pore full, rich and live. Onkyo just didn't have this drive you supposed to get from the song, it sounded more like an old tape-recorder.
I can't say whether yamaha is better than onkyo, but as chebby was saying earlier, yamaha+yamaha is better than onkyo+yamaha. So I went for yamaha.
Sorry but I really can't tell "how 7555 sounds" comparing to other cdps listed here. I think that when connected to onkyo amp it will sound pretty good.

T

the record spot

Good choice(s), and the Yammy's a fine and rather overlooked player. Hope you enjoy your new purchase!

A

Anonymous

You're welcome. I'm glad you got a chance to compare them before buying, and I hope you enjoy using your new Yamaha.

A

Anonymous

Yes, guys, I hope I will enjoy it. And again thank you all for your replies, they were really helpful.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts