Rear Speaker choice help

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Everyone

Currently have a yamaha dsp863se amp running monitor audio bronze br2's & matching centre.

The rears were monitor audio R45's (4 off) & i was running 7.1

However, decided that they need to be a little more 'beefy' so that when we have a party i can put the rears on as well to play music without it being harsh sounding or no bass.

I am also wanting to go back to just 5.1 due to re decorating & space.

What are my best options for replacement rear set of speakers?

I need them to be compact, able to play music & be good for movies.

So far i am looking at the monitor audio vector 10's in white

Roy Jowett has them at a great price of £99 delivered, Peter Tyson is £160!

http://www.royjowetthomecinema.co.uk/monitor-audio-vector-10-bookshelf-speakers.html

but do i have any other choices that would match up to my fronts & amp? am i best to stick to monitor audio? or perhaps get some KEF egg shaped ones? Not wanting to spend silly money either, perhaps upto £150/£180 at a push

Thanks
smiley-cool.gif

scene

I think the obvious choice would a pair of MA BX-FX. These are around £200-225 new - which is a little outside your budget, but you might well be able to pick up an ex-demo pair of them, or even the br-fx (at a push). These would match perfectly with your front three, allow for dipole/bipole switching - which makes them very flexible in terms of positioning and are fairly beefy.

If you can't find them ex-dem, you might well be able to find them secondhand on eBay...

scene

tj27 said:
cheers

i have looked at them but unfortunatley are too wide
smiley-cry.gif

I truly feel for you...

Have you considered a pair of BR2s? This would have the advantage of having matching speakers, which is good for surround placement.

Or, more radically... Move your BR2s to rear duties, and get some bigger speakers for the fronts? Ups the ante a little, but a pair of MA BR5/BX5 would give you a great musical stereo front pair, with lots of bass...

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
like the idea of br2's but struggling to keep the wife happy with those in the room on stands as the fronts!!!
smiley-laughing.gif

they really need to be like the vector v10 size or can be the vector v20 side mounted upwards.

need them to be close to the wall, wall mounted, head height when sitting & not protruding to far from the wall. Not just the wife wanting this type of speaker, i like them to be more heard than seen! hence the reason why the vector v10's are about as big as i can go. We also have a little one on the way so the less obvious it is (i hope) the less likely to be messed with in a few years time!

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
in walls, no sorry....

what would these Q acoustic ones be like?

http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-av/rear-speakers.htm

scene

tj27 said:
in walls, no sorry....

what would these Q acoustic ones be like?

http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-av/rear-speakers.htm

I think they're a great choice for 5.1. I had a pair on (back) order for a while, but they kept getting delayed and I got my RXFX rears :) They give a great diffuse surround sound effect, as they use a BMR. Not necessarily so good if you want multi-channel music IMO

P.S. Superfi have these at £80.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
yes, thought they might lack a little for the music, how about these quad's i have just seen?

http://www.hifix.co.uk/satellite-lcr-and-tv-speakers/quad/lite-2-satellite.html

scene

tj27 said:
yes, thought they might lack a little for the music, how about these quad's i have just seen?

http://www.hifix.co.uk/satellite-lcr-and-tv-speakers/quad/lite-2-satellite.html

Difficult to say how these would integrate with the BR2 fronts.

Winding back a bit to the OP. What Sub have you got? If you're looking for something a little more "beefy" it could be your sub that is the issue, and a sub upgrade, with appropriate level / crossover setting could solve your problems, while retaining the existing speakers - i.e. BR2 fronts + R45 rear pair....

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
the sub is a monitor audio R360 sub, only have it on at 1/3rd as of the neighbours, we are in one of those poorly made houses where bricks were not used!!! lol!!! its all platerboard & wood etc. Sub is sat on a granite chopping board (sainsburys finest one lol!)

i have also sold the R45's ......

still looking at quad lite 2's or the MA vector 10's......

but just seen the audio engines P4's they come in a compact white finish & get reasonable reviews......

guessing its best to stick to monitor audio though....?

typical just checked jow jowett & the price has changed from 99 to 159.......

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've lately got a pair of R90Hd in gloss white for rears. Really superb but above what you'd like to spend.

Was going to suggest sourcing a pair of R90s. They regularly come up on ebay. But a bit too late :)

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
was looking for R90's in white as the father in law has them & they are nice, but since looking no-one had any....

went for the q-acoustics 2010's as they get a good wright up & are highly rated. Also could not get the quad lite 2 in white it was about 7 day order to get them in, so could not wait! & ordered the q-acoustics, also the guy who i spoke to said they will be ok with my monitor audio br2's & centre & yamaha amp.

The size is also spot on for where we are placing them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts