Really punchy amp and speaker combo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

Thinking of upgrading my rig already after only one month with the ca 340a amp,

Im looking for an amp and speaker combo that is really bass orientated, and im willing to sacrifice some clarity in order to get that punchy sound also.

My budget is around £700

Thankyou

edited to add: would prefer book shelf speakers, and also would the pioneer A-A6-J come under the punchy title?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
B&W 685 standmont speakers of B&W 602 S2 or 602 S3 speakers off Ebay with either an Arcam 8/9 integrated amp off Ebay or the Rotel RA04 / RA06 amps (new)

All the above will offer you great, fast, punchy and precise bass and good clear midrange and crisp treble.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]B&W 685 standmont speakers of B&W 602 S2 or 602 S3 speakers off Ebay with either an Arcam 8/9 integrated amp off Ebay or the Rotel RA04 / RA06 amps (new)

All the above will offer you great, fast, punchy and precise bass and good clear midrange and crisp treble.

[/quote]

quite like the idea of the ra06, think a demo at sevenoaks is on the cards for this afternoon, will let you know the out come.

thanks

A

Anonymous

Got an appointment at sevenoaks for tommorow, they have all the rotel amps and b&w 685's in stock...yay!!

Is there any other combos that i should perhaps look into as im having a day at it tommorow.

thanks

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="marcymarc555"]rotel amps and b&w 685's in stock...yay!!
[/quote]

You will come back with them....great combo.

A

Anonymous

If you want serious wallop and low end with driving power get a nad amp. The nad c352 is a five star winner and is an absolute belter.It has more clout than a rotel ra04 or ra05. it retails for £375 but can be had online for about £300.Not sure about an RA06 but then isnt that £500? what speakers do you have just now? the b&w 685's or possibly even 686's( big punchy bass for smallish speakers) might do it.

Why did yoy buy a cambridge audio if you dont like it?

A

Anonymous

I second Rotel RA-06. I would combine it with DynAudio Audience 52. And if still not satisfied with the attack, will add a Velodyne sub.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ranjeetrain"]I would combine it with DynAudio Audience 52. And if still not satisfied with
the attack, will add a Velodyne sub.[/quote]

All for £700?

The Dyn need more power to sound thier best anyway....imo

A

Anonymous

For ultimate Bass wallop you really need to go floorstanding rather than standmounted. see if sevenoaks have any monitor audios in stock. Check out the GS10, a standmount for about 500 beans or the silver series standmounts which would probqably still fit in your price range. Sadly, the only way you'd get the GS20's or 60's to fit in would be second hand and even then they might still not fit your budget. I also second the idea of adding a power amp, at least check that option out anyway.

Other than that, on the amplifier side, I'd say give the Rotel line a listen and if you do decide to go with monitor audio then you've gotta look at the audiolabs I think the 8000S is the current best integrated they do. I have the C&P pre-power combo which is awesome but just outside your price range (unless you don't want new speakers;)edit: MINOR spelling correction emboldened

A

Anonymous

If you like the mid and upper of what you have, why not add an active sub like the REL Quake? That would cost about £300 + cable (£15) and would allow you to set the bass to how you like it without consuming your integrated amp's power.

For the record, I think the Rotel amps are fantastic. I have an RA03 with MA RS1s and it does a fantastic job of the bass. I added a REL Quake for some tuneful depth as the MA RS6s sounded too boomy & muddy for my tastes.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
The Dyn need more power to sound thier best anyway....imo[/quote]

Agree, the more the better. But the one I recommended is a bookshelf and that Rotel would be able to kick it well.
Not sure about the price though. I myself keep asking everyone about other markets.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ranjeetrain"]I second Rotel RA-06. I would combine it with DynAudio Audience 52. And if still not satisfied with the attack, will add a Velodyne sub.[/quote]

eh? he has a budget of £700 for both. i still think that in the budget sector you cant beat nad for out and out bass wallop.Rotel is good but second best within the £700 budget for both amp and speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts