Ready to take the leap and get some floorstanding speakers although what to look for when demoing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
nugget2014 said:
another demo booked :)

testing out the dali zensor 7, MA bronze bx6 and the dali ikon 6 mk2 at richer sounds next monday.

zensor 5s were OK but not great compared to the silver 6's although nearly half the price i guess why they arent as good..maybe the 7s will impress me more along with the ikons

You need a home dem. Shops are fine but they will NOT replicate the home environment.

I would say what Dave has stated about cramming floorstanders into a small room holds true and can knacker the overall sound. Again, this'll boil down to the actual size of room. From personal experence stand mounters can be tricky (sealed boxes aside) when placed close to a wall. It really is a case of what fits the room and your taste.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
so do you think i should stick with my bookshelves and just get a sub asap?

if so maybe in the future i will upgrade my bookshelves if i desire, for example the b&w 685 s2 although compared to the zensor 3 are they that much better? or even the ikon 2 mk2's as a standmounter for £600ish which would be a big upgrade i imagine. although the b&w look amazing

nugget2014 said:
so do you think i should stick with my bookshelves and just get a sub asap?

if so maybe in the future i will upgrade my bookshelves if i desire, for example the b&w 685 s2 although compared to the zensor 3 are they that much better? or even the ikon 2 mk2's as a standmounter for £600ish which would be a big upgrade i imagine. although the b&w look amazing

What are the dimensions of your room?

Okay, just read all your earlier posts, but can't see where you've mentioned the type of amp you have.

Given you can only have the speakers around 4.5' apart, I would seriously look at standmounters. In the main, floorstanders tend to need a bigger distance apart - my old RS6s were nearly 7', as this helps the imaging and overall soundstage. Generally, the smaller standmounters, due to their size, are a little more flexible in this area.

I've attached a glossary, which will explain a little better what the baffling terminology means.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary-r-s

Hope this helps.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Okay, just read all your earlier posts, but can't see where you've mentioned the type of amp you have.

Given you can only have the speakers around 4.5' apart, I would seriously look at standmounters. In the main, floorstanders tend to need a bigger distance apart - my old RS6s were nearly 7', as this helps the imaging and overall soundstage. Generally, the smaller standmounters, due to their size, are a little more flexible in this area.

I've attached a glossary, which will explain a little better what the baffling terminology means.

Hope this helps.

im using sony str-dn1040 and room is about 14ft long and 13ft wide

nugget2014 said:
plastic penguin said:

Hope this helps.

im using sony str-dn1040 and room is about 14ft long and 13ft wide

The bro-in-law has a Sony receiver and he uses Tannoy satellite speakers + centre + matching sub. They sound a really good match.

Also, a few months ago I heard the Tannoy Precision 6.1 powered by Cyrus Lyric and were really impressive. My only real criticism was *perhaps* they could do with a smoother sounding amp. The Sony receiver is that. So perhaps look at these:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/tannoy/revolution-dc6/tann-revo-dc6-espr

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
davedotco said:
Just as a general point, but many of the poorest systems that I have heard in peoples homes are the result of shoehorning over large floorstanding speakers into a room that is too small for them.
If you have a small to medium sized room and want floorstanders go for a small pair. Try Neat Motive SX2 or my preference Kudos X2. Both sounded wonderful with my Naim kit and a huge leap up in every way on the B&W 685's that i sued to have.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
One of the keys to a good system is the speaker room interaction, whatever the size and type of speaker. For a variety of reasons floor standers are very popular, but many of the less expensive ones are lightly built and of modest quality. This is most obviously demonstrated by a lack of control at low frequences resulting in boominess and an over emphasis on bass frequencies. The room often gets the blame but most of the time it is the speakers.

I am often asked (given my background) to comment on peoples systems, I have to bite my tongue. The mediocrity of so many modern systems is breathtaking, I am talking about 'proper' systems here, separates often costing real money but sounding quite awful.

Sure there are some good components out there, and chosen wisely and correctly set up by someone who knows what he is doing, some pretty decent systems too, but most of what I hear is massively dissapointing.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
shep1968 said:
davedotco said:
Just as a general point, but many of the poorest systems that I have heard in peoples homes are the result of shoehorning over large floorstanding speakers into a room that is too small for them.
If you have a small to medium sized room and want floorstanders go for a small pair. Try Neat Motive SX2 or my preference Kudos X2. Both sounded wonderful with my Naim kit and a huge leap up in every way on the B&W 685's that i sued to have.

only going to buy speakers that either superfi or richer sounds have in stock so i am able to demo them. tried the MA bronze bx6 and they was the best sounding speakers to my ears so far along with the ikon 6 mk2 although not much difference of the two except the ikons were quite bassy. i can get a home demo of open box pair of bx6 if i desired (said by brian) wouldnt need to swap centre speakers to according to him as it's better than the equivalent (what happened to tone matching?) although im sure he knows what he is talking about

nugget2014 said:
shep1968 said:
davedotco said:

only going to buy speakers that either superfi or richer sounds have in stock so i am able to demo them. tried the MA bronze bx6 and they was the best sounding speakers to my ears so far along with the ikon 6 mk2 although not much difference of the two except the ikons were quite bassy. i can get a home demo of open box pair of bx6 if i desired (said by brian) wouldnt need to swap centre speakers to according to him as it's better than the equivalent (what happened to tone matching?) although im sure he knows what he is talking about

While you're at Richer give Tannoy speakers (floorstanders or standmounts) a dem. They certainly are a good speaker with the right amp -- and your Sony should give you the sound you're looking for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts