Re-test audessey settings after cable change?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Might be a silly question, as the system sounds so much better with the new speaker cable attached, but......

Do I need to re-run audessey after such a change?

Anyone want a Chord silverscreen recommendation, please hear this: it's truely amazing!!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I would, unless you didnt move the speakers at all during the change. Only takes a moment anyway. What cable did you replace?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi pistol pete1 i am using QED silver anniversary speakercable & i would be interesed in your thoughts whether i should change/try chord silverscreen, would i notice a difference & would it be better.

As for running the audessey i couldn't say, but it only takes a few minutes to do, so it probably won't hurt if you decicide to do it.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Didn't move speakers......replaced old QED Profile 4x4 for the Chord Silverscreen cable. Fronts are still bi amped, and the improvement has been well worth it!!!

Much clearer sound with more detail is being delivered....even with stereo playback.

Even found myself tapping my toes on the ground again with cd playback.....not done that since dumping my old Marantz PM6010 KI amp!!!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi slewis,

I had the QED silver aniversairy cable before reverting back to my old QED profile 4x4. When i did, the improvement was a very obvious one, which was pleasing at the time.

I reckon the Chord silverscreen would blow the (I assume you have the original) silver anniversairy cable 'out of the water'!!!

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanx for the reply pistol pete1,

I thought i had about 9/10 meter's of cable but some how i think i have a lot more than that, i am going to have to think about this it's going to cost a lot of money to replace, i might try & just get a couple of meter's & try it on one speaker & see how that sounds.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
slewis,

Got the cable for £5.25 per metre with an extra 10% discount on top due to it being bank holiday from the hificables and accesories website.....

I assume you would not do the rear speakers...there is no real need to put such expensive cable to them.

One word of warning thou, this cable is about 1cm in diameter!!!! Thickest speaker cable I've ever seen!!!

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
pistol pete1

I've noticed on certain tv viewing i get a garbled or whisteling from the surround speakers (like whisteling when talking) not sure if it's amp or speaker wire, really annoying but i was thinking of trying the chord cable on the surround speaker.

ps. is chord silverscreen suitable with QED airloc banana plugs or any other banana plugs.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Not noticed anything like that on mine, and we have same amp, I see.

It might be a number of things, but I bet it's not the speaker cable doing it!!! Maybe interference, or amp or even freeview box?

But saying that, if you can hear it from the surround speakers when people are talking, surely the surround speakers need to be reduce in volume!

The Chord cable is can be used with standard banana plugs. I bought some off ebay-from Hong Kong.

Here is the info you need to prepare cable for plugs (I used a tab of silver solder on the wire before screwing into banana plugs so the wire does not frey in time):

http://www.chord.co.uk/images/carnival_silverscreen_term_guide.pdf

Hope that helps.....

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanx for that pistol pete1

Possibly i need to reset with the audessey, last time i did it speakers were on the floor, i only got the speaker stands recently.

signing off

simon.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Pete ~ im kinda intrigued as to why you use the audessey settings anyways?

ANY extra processing that comes into play will have an effect on overall quality. So although the 'scale' might be slightly closer this will be at the expense of hifi 'detail'

Have you never tried it WITHOUT the extra processing (audessey) mode? Ive personally never tried mine WITH the settings yet
emotion-4.gif

Anyways ~ in answer you might as well. if you can see the settings they are now id be intrigied to see if they move at all .

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

ANY extra processing that comes into play will have an effect on overall quality. So although the 'scale' might be slightly closer this will be at the expense of hifi 'detail'

Have you never tried it WITHOUT the extra processing (audessey) mode? Ive personally never tried mine WITH the settings yet
emotion-4.gif

Anyways ~ in answer you might as well. if you can see the settings they are now id be intrigied to see if they move at all .

I thought the whole point of having an audessey mode on an amp is to get everything accurately set up? Mind you having said that years ago you never used to have them on amps etc but i feel the audessey mode does a great job on most amps.

It's a shame you havnt tried it "with" it activated Rik so you could give us a a/b comparison?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Might be a silly question, as the system sounds so much better with the new speaker cable attached, but......

Anyone want a Chord silverscreen recommendation, please hear this: it's truely amazing!!
Personally i wouldnt Pete, i'd only re-run it if i changed my speakers or moved them around, but not for a cable change.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
jase fox:Pistol Pete1:

Personally i wouldnt Pete, i'd only re-run it if i changed my speakers or moved them around, but not for a cable change. I would totally agree with you Jase
emotion-21.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your advise Jase.

I have to admit I changed the fronts from the 1010i to 1030i floorstanders and didn't re run the audessey, but manually changed the crossovers, speaker size settings etc, which seems to work fine.

The only reason I would re run the audessey is if the equaliser settings were to change do to different cable/speakers. I imagine they might with speakers, but not cable?!?

A

Anonymous

Just out of curiosity when people say they tweak the settings, what do the actually change? I changed the crossovers, sub-level and rear levels. Actually I lifted all the levels by the same figure (+5) but balanced the L and R surrounds so they were the same level. Has anybody played around with the EQ settings or distance settings? I presume adjusting the rear distance only alters the delay?

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Thanks for your advise Jase.

I have to admit I changed the fronts from the 1010i to 1030i floorstanders and didn't re run the audessey, but manually changed the crossovers, speaker size settings etc, which seems to work fine.

The only reason I would re run the audessey is if the equaliser settings were to change do to different cable/speakers. I imagine they might with speakers, but not cable?!?

When I upgraded my speaker cables recently I re-ran my Audessey and it returned different EQ results. As far as your change of speaker is concerned, I would bet good money that it would have returned a different EQ curve as well. To be frank almost any alteration to your listening room will generate slightly different results to your Audessey Room EQ and I have seen this over the course of time (I am a sad sad person who doesn't only enjoy recalibrating my room, but used to calibrate each mixing stage at work every morning as part of my job description).

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
jase fox:Has anybody actually tried there amp without audessey being activated?

Hi Jase,

Yes, I have run my AVR-3808 both with Audessey on and off and, after much fighting against myself and my pre-conceptions that minimum signal processing is best, I have concluded that my system sounds best with Audessey engaged. The Room EQ has made several heavy corrections that make listening to material correct in relation to my Genelec studio monitors. It gets even better when combining the Room EQ with the Dynamic EQ as I cannot play films at a desired volume without the better half's elbow protruding into my lower rib cage, and this function works extremely well at maintaining the balance, presence, and tonality at lower volumes. Also Dynamic Volume works extremely well for late night listening and is by far the best "night mode" I have used.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
jase fox:aliEnRIK:

emotion-4.gif

I thought the whole point of having an audessey mode on an amp is to get everything accurately set up? Mind you having said that years ago you never used to have them on amps etc but i feel the audessey mode does a great job on most amps.

It's a shame you havnt tried it "with" it activated Rik so you could give us a a/b comparison?

I might do soon. Ive not had my marantz a month yet so getting used to normal mode. I doubt ill WANT the mode on anyways as ive tried every single 'prcoessing mode' on my tv over the last year and ALWAYS end up switching them off for the best picture. Id imagine Ill get the same result with the audessey

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Tom Moreno:
jase fox:Has anybody actually tried there amp without audessey being activated?

Hi Jase,

Yes, I have run my AVR-3808 both with Audessey on and off and, after much fighting against myself and my pre-conceptions that minimum signal processing is best, I have concluded that my system sounds best with Audessey engaged. The Room EQ has made several heavy corrections that make listening to material correct in relation to my Genelec studio monitors. It gets even better when combining the Room EQ with the Dynamic EQ as I cannot play films at a desired volume without the better half's elbow protruding into my lower rib cage, and this function works extremely well at maintaining the balance, presence, and tonality at lower volumes. Also Dynamic Volume works extremely well for late night listening and is by far the best "night mode" I have used.
Yes i have to agree here Tom, earlier this evening i did an a/b comparison & i much prefered the audessey engaged as it adds more depth & control IMO with it disengaged it sounded much more shallow as if all the weight had been drained from the soundtracks & it didnt sound as powerful, if anything it was a very easy judgement to make as the difference was day & night to me.

Soon as i disengaged it i thought "no thankyou" as the degradation was that noticable, so its audessey for me.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
when i run audessey it set my front L & R speakers far to high in my opinion so had to step them back a little and I also turned the centre up slightly but left all the other settings the same - now really like the overall sound

i only noticied this after running the static hiss across the front three channels and listening to the levels

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:
when i run audessey it set my front L & R speakers far to high in my opinion so had to step them back a little and I also turned the centre up slightly but left all the other settings the same - now really like the overall sound

i only noticied this after running the static hiss across the front three channels and listening to the levels
Yes i must admit i had to manually set my speaker levels myself as my amp set them to low but thats all i had to do.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:

Jase- I completely agree with you.

Matengawhat- I do find that Audessey's measurements on channel level can be off and, like Jase, always calibrate levels with my SPL meter after Audessey has created it's room correction EQ curves.

TRENDING THREADS