Re: Primare Pre30 pre-amp. & A32 power-amp.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been particularly impressed by the build & performance of Primare's products recently.Especially the CD31 CD player & I30 integrated amp.Which is why i'm seriously considering partnering the Pre30/A32(not the A30.2) pre/power combo. to drive a pair of B&W 803D's.But i've yet to find any reviews of the A32 to convince me to book a demo.Are there any reviews of it online?

Anyone aware of the abilities or weaknesses of this power-amp.In particular in tandem with it's Pre30 stablemate?

Thanks.

BABUR.

nads

[quote user="Andy Clough"]
I've had the Primare pre/power combo for some years now, and have no plans to change them (for now!).
[/quote] does that answer your question?

A

Anonymous

I'm using two A31s (new version of A30) to bi-amp dali helicon 800s. The power the two A31s can achieve combined is less than the A32 on it's own.......it's an impressive amp, but the only reason I didn't get it is because of the size and weight. The depth/height etc is massive......and it weighs over 40kg......so I couldn't accomodate it with the space I have. If you're not limited by these practical issues, then give it a listen. It would drive the B&Ws beautifully.

ps....I also have the CD31........players double the price can't touch it in my opinion

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for replying so swiftly guys.

Yeah,i couldn't agree more about the CD31 - or for that matter most Primare products Sam.

I was toying with the idea of BiAmping the 803D's with the A32's - as you have your Helicon's with the A31's.Though i'll have to curb my enthusiasm for now.

Do you reckon a solitary A32 has enough power in reserve to remain stable when driving the 803D's at higher outputs?

And the other query was whether or not there would be any appreciable difference in quality between using the Pre30 or SP31(both are equipped with balanced XLR ins./outs.) as the PreAmp stage?

The SP31/A32 combo. would give me the option of using it a base to build a modular A.V. system.Though i wouldn't be prepared to sacrifice sound quality for that potential flexibility.

Regards.

Thanks again for replying.

BABUR.

A

Anonymous

I chose to use the Pre30 with the two A31s because I also have a dj set up incorporated into my system, and there is a balanced output from the mixer which can connect to one of the two balanced inputs on the Pre30, the other one is used with the CD31. I could have linked the mixer straight to the power amp, but there is only one balanced input on the A31 (which the Pre30 goes into). Therefore my whole set up is balanced......and to my ears this has made a noticable difference for the better.

With regards to power for the A32.......yes it would drive the 803Ds without breaking sweat, but the science behind bi-amping means it SHOULD be sonically advantageous. Again, that's another reason why I went for the two A31s.....one driving the treble, the other looking after the bass......as powerful as the A32 is, I can't imagine I would have achieved the sound quality I have now if I opted for it on it's own. Just some thoughts..........

ps......the SP31/A32 combo would sound great......and I don't think you would be sacrificing sound quality.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nads"][quote user="Andy Clough"]
I've had the Primare pre/power combo for some years now, and have no plans to change them (for now!).
[/quote]
does that answer your question?[/quote]

I've had the pre/power combo for some months now and it's a joy.I've mentioned before that I'm going to do the same as Sam next xmas.

I can see myself remaining a Primare customer for years to come.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for prompt & positive responses guys.

Just got off the 'phone with a local dealer to arrange a demo. to compare both the Pre30/A32,SP31/A32 & in a BiAmped set-up.

I'm sure i'll have my socks blown off!

Thanks again.Regards.

BABUR.

A

Anonymous

Audiologica do great deals on NEW primare stuff, worth checking out if your demo goes well ;)

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thanks for the link Seven - certainly helped to confirm my first impressions.

By the way Mohawk & Sam.What balanced XLR interconnects & speaker cables do you currently use in your set-ups? And are there others you would recommend with the Pre30/A32 - possibly with the CD31?

Thanks again guys.

BABUR.

A

Anonymous

Between the CD31, Pre30 and both A31s I'm using Atlas Navigator XLRs.......the choice of interconnects gave me the biggest headache, lots of trial and error, but these gave me the sound I was looking for........crystal clear treble without sounding too bright, and a deep smooth bass. Although the price is a bit over the top, they are worth every penny in my opinion. Some of the others I'd tried sounded too warm in their presentation. Currently using epic twin speaker cable.......very happy with the result. Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Babur72"]
Hi guys,

Thanks for the link Seven - certainly helped to confirm my first impressions.

By the way Mohawk & Sam.What balanced XLR interconnects & speaker cables do you currently use in your set-ups? And are there others you would recommend with the Pre30/A32 - possibly with the CD31?

Thanks again guys.

BABUR.

[/quote]

Chord Anthem 2's on all of it and Epic super twin for the speakers(Leema Xyp's) roll on this evening.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Arranged more demo.'s for the Pre30 pre-amp. & A32 power-amp. combo.Have to say the extra clarity,expansiveness & seperation when using their balanced inputs/outputs makes a hell of a difference compared to using phonos.But,i've since been informed that the Primare's internal circuitry isn't fully balanced.I understood it was(?).

This time though i'll be comparing the Primare kit alongside Marantz's SA-11S2,SC-11S1 & SM-11S1.Although i understand that these components also sport an unbalanced/balanced circuit design.

Anyone have experiences or thoughts regarding these components? Or the players predecessor the SA-11S1? How detrimentally would an unbalanced/balanced circuit affect performance,in comparison with a component having a fully balanced design?

As i'm also keen to partner my eventual choice of amps with a player that has decent CD & SACD capability,i've been advised to consider manufacturers like Accustic Arts & Esoteric - esp. Esoterics' X-03SE CD/SACD player.

Apart from Accustic Arts Tube-DAC II,i can't find any recent reviews of their wares in my WHF?S&V mags.Anybody have experience with these brands & models? Or know of any reviews - perhaps online?

But the main stumbling block seems to be finding dealers who stock the likes of Accustic Arts,Esoteric,Leema,Marantz aswell as Primare.Thereby making like-for-like,side-by-side comparison difficult.

By the way.Whilst arranging my latest demo.,just by chance,i had the opportunity to play one of my CD's on Chord Electronics' Red Reference upsampling CD player,CPA 5000 pre-amp & SPM 4000 power-amp.

Never heard Dave Grohl & Foo Fighters' 'Skin & Bones' CD sound so damned awesome!!!

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

BABUR.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts