Question RCA interconnect

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

WayneKerr

I would just like to say that I do admire the cable believers on this forum as you take a lot of stick from some us here and your belief never waivers (y)

If you ever fancy an easier ride then over on the Wam forum you will find more like-minded individuals :)

Reactions: Noddy

Gray

If you ever fancy an easier ride then over on the Wam forum you will find more like-minded individuals :)
If I didn't know you better I'd think that was a polite way of telling them to bug*** off 😆

It is true though, the Wam is more sympathetic to the magic of Voodoo.
Having said that, I've seen the non-believers being every bit as forthright with their views over there.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TrevC

If I didn't know you better I'd think that was a polite way of telling them to bug*** off 😆

It is true though, the Wam is more sympathetic to the magic of Voodoo.
Having said that, I've seen the non-believers being every bit as forthright with their views over there.

The deluded magic fantasists have taken over that forum, sadly. Any dissent is not tolerated.

Reactions: Noddy and WayneKerr

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Cables can make a huge difference (certainly speaker cables)
I would say
first speaker cable
second interconnects
third power

It's really subjective, like most of things in this hobby. I always heard an read something arround 10% of the cost of your system for cables

More or less as long as it make you happy :) (arround that maybe a little more but hey maybe I'm crazy)

Reactions: hifi

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Really Roby?
If you think speaker cables make a huge difference, you must be absolutely staggered at the differences between speakers themselves 🤔
I wil be happy to invite you do the test at my place
I tested
Kimber
Siltech
Ah
Transparant (that I kept)
An a few other brands

abacus

Cables can make a huge difference (certainly speaker cables)
I would say
first speaker cable
second interconnects
third power

It's really subjective, like most of things in this hobby. I always heard an read something arround 10% of the cost of your system for cables

More or less as long as it make you happy :) (arround that maybe a little more but hey maybe I'm crazy)

You did do a level matched double blind test when you heard the differences yes.

Bill

Reactions: Al ears

podknocker

It is very easy to get carried away with your feelings, when you have a very attractive and expensive set of speaker cables in your hand. You convince yourself these cables are going to make a vast improvement to sound quality, because they are shiny and new and fit your lifestyle and become part of your personality and identity, along with furniture and clothing and gadgets etc. I use to think this and then my head reminded me what cables really are and how they work, passing charge from one end to the other. They are a conduit and no more. The materials cannot change the sound. There's nothing in the cable making a difference to the signal it's carrying. If it's well made and doesn't break, then it will serve its purpose. I bought pricey cables because they are very flexible ribbons and don't get tangled up. I also like the colour. They are well made and will outlast me. I know they can't make a difference to the sound. It is difficult to accept this, when you spend more and the sales jargon tells you the cables will make a vast difference. Many sites come up with no end of 'technical' attributes that sound impressive, until you actually realise it's just jargon, with no scientific merit whatsoever. Expensive cables have become a status symbol and almost a lifestyle in the tech community. It's become an echo chamber of geeky delusion and there is a sizeable cable 'clique' these days. It's absolute nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noddy and WayneKerr

nothelle

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
just posted my take on cabling. I was not a believer in cable theories, but hearing is believing. Power cord was never on my radar, complete nonsense for me. Tried it, plugged it, hear it... what do you know, it does make a difference. Not all combination can make that difference, some too subtle to pick up, spend too much on cable but audio source is mediocre then it would not work. Best strategy, try it yourself, demo at dealer, borrow from friend....

podknocker

The differences in CD players can be huge. I remember listening to a Technics CD player, decades ago, in John Lewis and it sounded clean, crisp and detailed and had a nice 'bounce' to the sound. I then listened to a Sony CD player and it was dull and the bass was slow, booming and very exaggerated. It sounded dreadful and I bought the Technics. Never regretted it. There are more types of sound within CD players and amps, because of the number of parts required and the differences in speakers is huge, with the multitude of materials and designs on the market. The 2 meters of copper in a plastic type jacket doesn't have any ingredients that could change the information being carried.

Last edited:

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
It is very easy to get carried away with your feelings, when you have a very attractive and expensive set of speaker cables in your hand. You convince yourself these cables are going to make a vast improvement to sound quality, because they are shiny and new and fit your lifestyle and become part of your personality and identity, along with furniture and clothing and gadgets etc. I use to think this and then my head reminded me what cables really are and how they work, passing charge from one end to the other. They are a conduit and no more. The materials cannot change the sound. There's nothing in the cable making a difference to the signal it's carrying. If it's well made and doesn't break, then it will serve its purpose. I bought pricey cables because they are very flexible ribbons and don't get tangled up. I also like the colour. They are well made and will outlast me. I know they can't make a difference to the sound. It is difficult to accept this, when you spend more and the sales jargon tells you the cables will make a vast difference. Many sites come up with no end of 'technical' attributes that sound impressive, until you actually realise it's just jargon, with no scientific merit whatsoever. Expensive cables have become a status symbol and almost a lifestyle in the tech community. It's become an echo chamber of geeky delusion and there is a sizeable cable 'clique' these days. It's absolute nonsense.
Sorry I went to a dealer I was at the time still choosing my amp didn't get in to cables choice at the time, didn't even know it could matter.

I said to the salesman it's good but I'm missing something it's a little flat. I don't know what cable was used before or after the change (speaker cable ) so no shinny expensive influence, but there it was rythme musicality enjoyment the amp was a Lavardin speakers where sonus faber guenarri memento
So don't tell mee cables don't affect the sound

TRENDING THREADS