Question RCA interconnect

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
You changed only a twin RCA cable ✅
You're using the same amp as before ✅
Connecting back the originally connected ground cable gave you a hum?

See the thing is, unless someone can point out something I'm missing, when you now re- connect the separate ground cable, you have no more (or less) grounds than you previously had.

In terms of all electrical connections, nothing has changed between what you had before and what you have now (someone please correct me).
It can only be the case that with the old RCA cable, the same no hum / hum situation occurs when connecting / disconnecting the ground wire.

You may not care (and I wouldn't blame you) in which case, good luck to you (y)

(But I couldn't stand the mystery myself, I'd have to investigate and confirm what's going on 🙃).
Oh yeah. I'm pretty sure the hum was there before. I just never really noticed it because I never took the time to listen without a record playing.

Reactions: Gray

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I've been changing my interconnects over the last month or so, and decided the best value for money was to make my own. I made three sets using three different kinds of cable:
Belden 8402 with Sewell deadbolt gold plated solderless plugs - total cost £32/m
Mogami 3368 with Rhodium plated solderless plugs from Amazon - total cost £16/m
Sommer SC Spirit cable with the same Rhodium plated solderless plugs - total cost £13/m

All three sound better than my Audio Quest Tower lead which was £23/0.5m, but I think the Belden sounds best of the three. Definitely worth making your own RCA leads! You can buy perfectly good RCA plugs for very little, or you can buy really expensive ones. Belden 8402 works out about £12/m.
m.d.
Belden, Mogami excellent choice. I would also throw in Canare into the mix 👌👍

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I noticed a major difference when I changed mine to the evergreen AudioQuest cables. I know there are many people who say they don't make a difference but I could definitely tell. It was either the cables or the preamp. At the same time I swapped the cables out I swapped from the preamp on the receiver end to the preamp in the turntable. So it was one or the other. I just haven't swapped it back to verify. Just can't be bothered atm... lol

Gray

I just haven't swapped it back to verify. Just can't be bothered atm... lol
I would have thought, for your own sake, you should be bothered 😉.

You've reported 'major' difference.
To me, a major difference is something that you'd get from something like a speaker change.
At the very least (surely?) a major difference is unmistakable - one that could be repeatedly, consistently and, most importantly, blindly identified...every time.

Call me old fashioned but I don't think any cable is capable of making a major difference - unless it goes open circuit 👍

EDIT: Ignore all the above.
I missed the bit where you said 'or the preamp' (the most important bit).

Last edited:
I would have thought, for your own sake, you should be bothered 😉.

You've reported 'major' difference.
To me, a major difference is something that you'd get from something like a speaker change.
At the very least (surely?) a major difference is unmistakable - one that could be repeatedly, consistently and, most importantly, blindly identified...every time.

Call me old fashioned but I don't think any cable is capable of making a major difference - unless it goes open circuit 👍
Perhaps you missed "or the preamp "......

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
I am expecting a Subwoofer in the next few days ! I have read that the RCA leads for Subwoofers are better shielded is this true? Do i buy a new 1 or is the standard RCA i have at home ok?

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Thanks Gray just didnt want too hear a loud hum or something after plugging it in. when it arrives ! Havent had a sub at home before only years back when i used to DJ.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Don't forget you'll also be needing to upgrade your fuse to Quantum Science Audio, Gold Extreme Level Mains Fuse. The most essential upgrade available for any audiophile. They don't cost much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts