RCA interconection or Optical?

babrichard

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everyone

Just looking for some advice from the Audiophile community. I have a Marantz PM6005 amp hooked up to a Roksan Kandy KC1 CD player. Both have RCA or Optical imputs available. I have listened to both and think the Optical is slightly brighter with a a more solid sound stage. I am using an OLD Van Den Hull RCA interconector but a new cheapy Maplin Optical conector. Are there any opions out there on wether a new RCA or upgraded Optical will make much difference, or is it just down to the different quality properties between the Roksan and the Marantz. One more thing Just bought a Atlas Element Integra JP2 that has really opened my ears, what a difference a small cable makes. Hope theres some advice out there. I'm a not masive Audio tech far from it. If it helps to know I am using Q Accustic 2020i speakers with a Rega RP1 turntable, Cambridge Audo premium banana plugs and Bi-wired using Cambridge Symphony 400 cable.

Hope you can help, Many thanks

SteveR750

Souds like you prefer the DAC in the Marantz amp to the Roksan. If that's how it is, then make it so. The interconnects, especially the optical cable should have little to no effect, though your ears may differ. A chreap optical cable is fine, just don't bend it too much!

babrichard

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Steve, Many thanks for the reply.

If an upgraded Optical or RCA (say £50/70) isn't going tp improve the Audio that much. I would rather invest in some better speaker cable than the Cambridge Audio Symphany 400, Or am I just being sucked in again? Is there that much difference in quality between £2.30 and £6 per metre cable?. I Won't bend it too much. Just looked there was a pretty big bend in it!

SteveR750

You'll have to read and research the forums all over to answer that. For what its worth I use QED XT which is OK, but a pain with the centre core to cut out so that you get a good bind onto the amp terminals. I never was bothered with soldered banana plugs, nor even the mechanical ones at the amp end anyway. I think even those that can distinguish between cables and interconnects would admit that the relative differences are small, and at best are just a tweak (like moving furniture, carpets, listening chair etc).

The optical cable is the only one you need to be careful about bending, it's basically a sheathed mirror, which can crack. The rest you can do pretty much* do what you want with

Good luck!

*Apart from wrap around a block of iron.

babrichard

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Just had a problem with the posting, hope it hasen't entered twice. Thanks for the advice Steve. Wishing I had sayed with my old NAD 3130 amp and Rotel RCD 865 player. Seemed so much simipler then. Looking at the forums and resesrch is like re-inventing the wheel to me. Steve. I will leave you in peace many thanks. BIGBOSS, Interested in the Audioquest FLX/SLiP14/4.. Thanks for the heads up on the 79

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I prefer RCA to optical. I find the optical to be a bit harsh but I do know some who prefer it.

Your dealer should be able to let you do a home demo, if not buy on line and return the one you don't want.

make sure you give each option a decent amount of air time as well as the usuall couple of mins back to back testing.

SteveR750

babrichard said:
Just had a problem with the posting, hope it hasen't entered twice. Thanks for the advice Steve. Wishing I had sayed with my old NAD 3130 amp and Rotel RCD 865 player. Seemed so much simipler then. Looking at the forums and resesrch is like re-inventing the wheel to me. Steve. I will leave you in peace many thanks. BIGBOSS, Interested in the Audioquest FLX/SLiP14/4.. Thanks for the heads up on the 79 

Good to meet another member of the 3130 old boys club!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts