Raspberry pi streaming

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi folks, just wondering why there is no raspberry pi or some kind of diy'ers sticky thread.
OK I'm probably very late to the pi myself, but after watching some YouTube stuff and trying my hand at a pretty basic build. I'm gobsmacked at the quality from this wee box into my njc dac,
I think the major part is that I purchased a quality power supply for it. I'm not going to name brands as it always gets confused with some type of advertising and ends up not very pretty.
I've tried running roon ropiee and I'm sat here listening via volumio at the moment...brilliant options both of them, although it's still early days.....right where did I see that touch screen.🤣🤣

daveh75

Hi folks, just wondering why there is no raspberry pi or some kind of diy'ers sticky thread.

Stickies are entirely pointless as nobody reads them , and the Devs of the countless music player software/distros provide comprehensive installation guides, so there's little point anyway

OK I'm probably very late to the pi myself, but after watching some YouTube stuff and trying my hand at a pretty basic build. I'm gobsmacked at the quality from this wee box into my njc dac,
I think the major part is that I purchased a quality power supply for it. I'm not going to name brands as it always gets confused with some type of advertising and ends up not very pretty.

Nah, it's because the Pi is perfectly capable of bit perfect playback and you're using an external DAC...

Last edited:

WayneKerr

Off topic but related I guess. I currently have an ageing small from factor PC for my streaming duties, it's 15 years old and I think the video card is on the way out, plus can't get internet anymore - OS too old. I was looking at a Pi or maybe one of the Wiim's but have decided to opt for another small form factor PC. I find PC's to be the most versatile streamer ever, it may not come in a fancy box but it's hidden in a drawer anyway.

daveh75

V
Off topic but related I guess. I currently have an ageing small from factor PC for my streaming duties, it's 15 years old and I think the video card is on the way out, plus can't get internet anymore - OS too old.

Graphics card notwithstanding, a lightweight Linux distro would eek more life out of it and restore internet connectivity..

I was looking at a Pi or maybe one of the Wiim's but have decided to opt for another small form factor PC. I find PC's to be the most versatile streamer ever, it may not come in a fancy box but it's hidden in a drawer anyway.

If used solely for music streaming, I think a PC (even a SFF) are hugely overkill personally, not to mention the cost and energy consumption.

A RasPi 4 starts at £35 and only uses around between 2-5w.

Fortyish notes would get you a Pi Zero 2, DAC or Digi HAT and a case and only uses a couple of watts

WayneKerr

Completely agree with you Dave, and thank you (y) Hammer to crack a nut but the deed is done SFF PC arrives today. It's used mainly to stream a local ripped FLAC file music library via Foobar and occasional online streaming.

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Off topic but related I guess. I currently have an ageing small from factor PC for my streaming duties, it's 15 years old and I think the video card is on the way out, plus can't get internet anymore - OS too old. I was looking at a Pi or maybe one of the Wiim's but have decided to opt for another small form factor PC. I find PC's to be the most versatile streamer ever, it may not come in a fancy box but it's hidden in a drawer anyway.
Sounds like your old PC is just the sort of thing which would run very well with a Linux operating system.

Roog

May 20, 2016
Visit site
I use an Rpi 3 running Picoreplayer through a digital hat into a separate DAC where i can apply EQ and alter the volume. Because i put it together it is of course the best sounding streamer 'in the World'!

Good news is that RPi4 are now available again.

kit1cat

Mar 25, 2022
Visit site
I use an Rpi 3 running Picoreplayer through a digital hat into a separate DAC where i can apply EQ and alter the volume. Because i put it together it is of course the best sounding streamer 'in the World'!

Good news is that RPi4 are now available again.
What DAC are you using with built-in EQ?

Roog

May 20, 2016
Visit site
What DAC are you using with built-in EQ?
I have an RME adi-2 fs DAC, I use the parametric EQ as a simple form of room correction, set up based on readings from my room using REW. I do occasionally twiddle the treble and bass tone controls and even use the 'loudness' feature too!

It works well although I could be tempted by Dirac, but that would require significant changes to my streamer hardware.

Reactions: kit1cat

kit1cat

Mar 25, 2022
Visit site
digital hatI have an RME adi-2 fs DAC, I use the parametric EQ as a simple form of room correction, set up based on readings from my room using REW. I do occasionally twiddle the treble and bass tone controls and even use the 'loudness' feature too!

It works well although I could be tempted by Dirac, but that would require significant changes to my streamer hardware.
Nice looking and well specified Dac. What digital hat are using with your pi?

I am using the parametric EQ built into moode through a Justboom digital hat into my Marantz amp, but the EQ does not support the squeezelite renderer and I like to use Material Skin.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I think in addicted to the raspberry pi building..lol.
I now have two little streaming systems, Rp4b in a case with the official touchscreen feeding my njc audio dac via usb, and then a rp4b on Ian Canada purepi power supply + the fifopi ma, es9038q2m dual mono dac (ess controller) and opa861 fully balanced zero feedback stage fed by two ifi 5 volt power supplies in a + and - configuration. It sounds very good indeed.

TRENDING THREADS