Radical equipment change,

Peptdi

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a NAIM audio CD5 X, NAC122X + 150X and a FLAT CAP2. My current speakers are Q Acoustics Concept 20's on dedicated stands. These sound great as my budget could not streacth any further at the time, however since my dear beloved son has knocked one off its stand with a football on a hot day a couple of weeks back, one has a little cosmetic damage. I was looking at changing for the Dynaudio Emits 10's i have heard so much about in a couple of months, but was pondering: I have a SONOS Connetct attached to my system, though sounds good is a 10-15% reduction in sound quality over playing a CD. I have also been pondering active speakers like the Dynaudio Xeo 4's or Excite 14A's with a hub that i can connect the SONOS to. Would this be a compatable change or will I be losing out on quality? I know that NAIM equipment does not carry much value on the 2nd hand market but it should be enough to finance such a venture.

jjbomber

Peptdi said:
Would this be a compatable change or will I be losing out on quality? I know that NAIM equipment does not carry much value on the 2nd hand market but it should be enough to finance such a venture.

You really do need to audition the Dynaudios first. It's a huge change; you may love it and you may hate it.

You might be surprised by how well Naim holds it's value!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you are planning on making such a radical change, I think a lot depends on what you want to do.

Initially I think you need to decide what is going to be your primary source(s). If you have a lot of CDs are you going to want to play them? Or rip them? Or are you planning to move into streaming from the web?

There are so many different ways to organise and play your music these days, it is worth taking a little time to work out what you want to do so that you buy equipment with the correct functionality.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Peptdi said:
We listen to our SONOS alot and are happy with this format, hence why I am concidering active speakers.

Have you tried your CD player into the local input on the Sonos, I am assuming you have a Connect? This might clarify where the limitations in the sound quality is coming from so that you can optimise the quality of the Sonos.

As for driving active speakers from the Sonos, this is childsplay, the only advice I would give is get a pair that have some sort of level control so you can match their sensitivity to the Sonos output, I have found this makes a useful difference.

Any idea of size, budget?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts