Quiet But constant buzz from the speakers?

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have put my Yamaha micro hifi in our living room for the festive period to get better DVD, tv and radio sound in there. But, I seem to be getting a quiet buzz that's constantly there. It's only really noticeable when the volume is low.

I have our DVD connected to our tv with the hdmi cable, then RCA cables to the hifi. The ca cable is the cheapest you've ever seen, and speaker cables are QED anniversary. Could it be the cables?? Or is the buzz just there? The sound seems perfect, even when loud, it's just the buzz? A bit like when you half disconnect headphone for the socket with the power on.

Any. Tips appreciated!

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey! I hadn't thought about that, so I just checked a few combinations without quite odd findings.

With the TV off and the cables in the correct ports, there is no buzz. Turn the TV on & it appears.

With the TV On or off and the cables into random ports or completely disconnected, there is the buzz.

Doesnt make any sense to me. But it could still be interference on the cables? It certainly isn't coming from the hifi as it isn't there in one connection, right?

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
it could be some kind of mains 'hum' have you everything plugged into the same extension lead? you might want to play around with trying to plug the tv into a different socket - our use one extension lead and plug evertyhing into that..

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh, that's a possibility. Not ever thought about that. I think the DVD player is in one plug, and the TV, digi box and HiFi are in a multi-extension plug. It's a standard multi-extension plug, not a conditioner type? might that also make a difference?

I'll try the plugs in a variety of arrangements and see what happens.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
When I first connected my sub to my Denon avr, it also hummed very loudly, even when the rest of the system was turned off (sub was always "on"). Next time I needed an extention cord, I bought a Monster greenpower bar and connected the whole system to it. Away was the hum and the analog tv picture also gained from that).

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I may get a Tacima extension lead if I can't get rid of the hum.

Just from reading a few other posts, it sounds like people have made improvements by running their cables better. What's the best way to run them? Away from products like the TV and back of the HiFi/DVD player. But should they run right next to each other, like zip tied together? or spaced apart? what do you do with loops of mains cable?

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, no joy. Tried a few combinations of plugs in extensions and out, and the same symptoms are there each time.

I had a thought that it could be that the KEF iQ1's may not be magnetically shielded, but I'm prett sure they are. I pulled them around 1.5m away from the tv and the sound didn't change.

Still unsure, but a Tacima multi plug extension might sort it? Or a better than pathetic RCA cable like the chord crimson? Or both?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts