Questions on wiring options to get optimum sound / picture

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recentlydecided to replace my clunky old CRT and get a whole new AV set-up. I purchasedthe Sony KDL40W5500 TV, the BDP-S550 Blue Ray player and the Sony IS-HT100 5.1 HomeCinema surround kit. This probably makes me a bit of a Sonyphile, but I am very hapy with the kit.

There seemto be a number of different ways to wire together these three devices, so I amkeen to get advice on the best way to do this to get optimal picture and soundperformance.

I currentlyhave an HDMI cable running from the Blue Ray player directly to the TV, ratherthan passing the signal through the home cinema system (as suggested in thewiring guide for the home cinema system). I have done this on the basis that Iwill get the best possible picture if I feed the image directly in to the TVrather than pass it through the amp? I then have an optical cable linking the BlueRay player to the home cinema amp.

Am Icorrect in understanding that because this Home Cinema system is only 5.1, thereis no way I can take advantage of the latest HD formats output by this Blue Rayplayer such as Dolby True HD & DTS-HD Master Audio because they require a7.1 system? Or, if I was to use an HDMI cable to connect the Blue Ray player tothe Home cinema amp rather than just using an optical cable as I currently do, (andobviously connect the amp back to the TV with another HDMI) – would I be ableto get True HD sound? (i.e. to get HD sound you must use HDMI not optical etc?)

As you can probably tell, I am new to all this....it took me 5 years to get my other half to agree to the overhall so now I just want to ensure I am getting the best out of my investment. Any feedbackvery gratefully received – thanks!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Since the HT-IS100 can accept LPCM via the HDMI socket, this is your best bet to enjoy HD audio (BTW, HD audio has nothing to do with 5.1 or 7.1, very simply, the soundtrack is lossless and therefore it sounds better, much in the same way as a lossless WAV or Apple Lossless music file sounds better than a heavily compressed MP3):

1. Hook the Sony BDP-S550 into one of the HT-IS100 HDMI inputs.

2. Hook the HT-IS100 into the TV using HDMI.

3. Set the BDP-S550 to output Linear PCM so that it is decoding the HD audio formats onboard.

This will mean the Blu-Ray player will decode the HD audio formats onboard and output them as mutlichannel PCM to the home cinema system. The HT-IS100 won't show the formats on its display as they have already been decoded, but if everything is set up correctly, you will be getting the new HD audio formats (and it should sound much more detailed).

Let me know if you need more help, I have a Sony BDP-S550 at home, but am not likely to get home till late. However, post back if you get difficulties and (if no one else has been able to help in between) I'll have a look at the settings on mine and guide you through.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No offence, but perhaps you should try reading the manual? I've just looked at the webpage for the HT-IS100 here and it states quite clearly that it can handle 2-ch, 5.1 AND 7.1ch LPCM via HDMI, so you should connect the Blu-ray player to the home cinema kit via HDMI, set the Blu-ray player to decode all the HD audio formats and output PCM through HDMI (I *think* the 550 can do this, the webpage for that is not entirely clear but seems to suggest this is possible.

Also connecting the Blu-ray HDMI through the home cinema system and from there to the TV should not affect the picture quality in any way.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail - very much appreciated.

I will certainly implement this....although will need to pop out an buy an additional HDMI lead over the weekend first.

Despite what the manual said....it was the talking to someone in a Sony Centre who advised my to wire up as I originally did....but it ranckled with me that I would be missing out on HD sound doing it that way, so I am very please you have been able to clarify this for me.

I am looking forward to lossless sound ÿ- thanks again!ÿ

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Well I would throw in the proviso that I've only been looking at the webpages and manuals for this equipment, I've never actually tried it myself, as I don't own either of these items! So if it doesn't work, apologies in advance!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts