question to Andrew Everard or anybody else in the know

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi bought an spl meter today a bargain from maplins recomended by andrew to set up my av speakers can somebody tell me what position the master volume on the amp has to be on when running the test tones or does it matter? thanks garrynic

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I usually find setting it so the first test tone - usually on the front left speaker - gives a reading of around 75dB or so gives the most accurate results.

Set the level much lower and ambient noise can have an effect; set it much higher and it hurts.

A

Anonymous

sorry andrew dont know if its me being a novice at this kind of thing but what i meant was what should i set the volume dial at on the amp before running the test tone on speakers thanks garry

A

Anonymous

big aura very funny why bother replying no use whatsoever or are you just being sarcastic if thats the case dont bother

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Funny that...I've just disagreed with Big Aura in another thread (as well as others)....he must have seen are disapproval at his comments, as he has replied to another question - yet ignores us...obviously can't back up his comments or actions, I guess....

His comments and posts seem not to be very factual or, needless to say, helpful!!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Come on everybody, please play nicely - and stay on topic.
emotion-15.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
garrynic:
sorry andrew dont know if its me being a novice at this kind of thing but what i meant was what should i set the volume dial at on the amp before running the test tone on speakers thanks garry

As Andrew says, get the test tone running and set your volume level accordingly - it's a case of having the sound-level meter in one hand and your remote control in the other.

More in our video here on How to optimise your AV receiver

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
garrynic - I wasn't trying to offend. It was an attempt at humour, but perhaps you haven't seen This Is Spinal Tap; ho-hum. People on here occasionally are (and with (apparently) varying degrees of success) funny as well as informative...

Pistol Pete1 - not sure what I've done to irk you - I was merely asking a question (you'll note I put a "?" at the end of the sentence on the other thread - punctuation is important to convey tone, I'm sure you'll agree?). I had looked at the spec of both machines and they seemed to be similar (on paper) vis-…-vis sound. That doesn't mean I'm expressing a definitive opinion; I have listened to neither. If you've decided you're much happier with your 2310, fair play to you and many happy years listening/watching.

A

Anonymous

sorry clare but this is the last time i will ask this question maybe i am dafter than i thought what i mean is the volume dial on the amp when watching a film or listening to music you turn the volume up or down by the volume knob so what should the volume knob be set at before even running the test tone or dosent it make any difference thanks garry

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You'll need to use a remote control to dial up/down the volume while using the sound meter - if you're crouched over the amp's volume knob, you're going to measure the level there, rather than at your listening position.

Before you start the test-tone process, you can turn the amp on and measure its volume using the meter - Andrew's suggestion of 75dB is a decent sound level to get it to before you begin with the test tone.

Again, more in the video (Chapter 5, if I remember rightly) on how to use Sound Pressure Level Meters

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Set the volume knob to your usual listening level - it's hard to say '10 o'clock or whatever' as one does with stereo amps, because volume controls on AV amps tend not to work like that. Similarly volume displays may show an abstract number, or a -XXdB figure. so it's hard to tell you what that should read, too.

FWIW on my receiver normal day to day level is about -20dB to -15dB, so if your amp displays volumes in that way, that's not a bad place to start.

And again on some amps when the test tones are running the main volume control doesn't work - makes sense, as you can adjust the relative level of the channels without the confusion of changing the global setting halfway through the process. On others, you can adjust the main volume while the test tones are running.

Best bet is try the test tone for the first channel, see what the meter reads, and if it's way below about 75dB, turn off the tones, wind up the main volume control, and start the tones again.

Which receiver do you have?

A

Anonymous

thanks andrew finally got somewhere i dont have a reciever but a denon avca1d amp thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts