Question on Sonos

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
I currently have Squeezebox and now for other room need to buy one more, I am also sonsidering Sono, but do I need to buy the full set or if I buy only the Zone player and connect it to my DACmagic and control it via iphone will be sufficient. I have following questions

1. Can I just play music with only single Zone player connected to my DacMagic and pulling music via Wifi from NAS (readynas) and use Iphone as remote?

2. How does Sonos pull music from NAS does it required server runing on NAS like SQ3 requires Squeezeserver?

3. How is performance of remote control via iphone compare to Sonos's own remote in terms of lag time/speed etc.?

4. Most importantly since I will connect it to DACMagic via optical cable do you think sonos sound quality then SQ3 if main task is done by DACMagic? thre reason I've asked is I can buy just the Squeezebox receiver for less then half the price of single Sonos Zoner player.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Zubkabera:I currently have Squeezebox and now for other room need to buy one more, I am also sonsidering Sono, but do I need to buy the full set or if I buy only the Zone player and connect it to my DACmagic and control it via iphone will be sufficient. I have following questions

You can buy individual Zone players, yes.

1. Can I just play music with only single Zone player connected to my DacMagic and pulling music via Wifi from NAS (readynas) and use Iphone as remote?

No, the Sonos supported configuration is that your first Zoneplayer MUST be wired to your router.

2. How does Sonos pull music from NAS does it required server runing on NAS like SQ3 requires Squeezeserver?

No it doesn't it simply requires a network share, no server side software required at all.

3. How is performance of remote control via iphone compare to Sonos's own remote in terms of lag time/speed etc.?

As far as I know it's fine, however you should be aware that the iPhone will be using your Wi-Fi connection, not the Sonos built-in wifi network, so you need to ensure that your iPhone can actually contact your wireless network in whatever room you're putting the Sonos.

4. Most importantly since I will connect it to DACMagic via optical cable do you think sonos sound quality then SQ3 if main task is done by DACMagic?

Pardon?

I think you're asking if there'll be much difference in the sound quality if both SB3 and ZP are connected via digital optical to a DACmagic. I can't speak for the SB3 but I don't see that there would be much difference.

thre reason I've asked is I can buy just the Squeezebox receiver for less then half the price of single Sonos Zoner player.

In your situation that's probably what I'd do, Sonos is really a multi-room system, so unless you were prepared to go the whole hog and replace your existing Squeezebox and get two ZPs then I don't think you'll gain much from one ZP, you might as well save your money and go with the product you're already familiar with.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:

[No, the Sonos supported configuration is that your first Zoneplayer MUST be wired to your router.

Thanks for your swift reply and help.

Do you mean I need two devices zone player and bridge to play music, can't I just hardwire zoneplayer to my router or switch and play Music without any other sonos device?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Zubkabera:the_lhc:No, the Sonos supported configuration is that your first Zoneplayer MUST be wired to your router.

Thanks for your swift reply and help.

Do you mean I need two devices zone player and bridge to play music, can't I just hardwire zoneplayer to my router or switch and play Music without any other sonos device?

Err, that's what I just said, if you only have one Zoneplayer (and nothing else), then it MUST be wired to the router (or switch).

You COULD use a Zonebridge (£69) and wire that to the router and then have the ZP connecting wirelessly but you don't have to.

Basically ONE Zone product must have a wired connection.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
So I need two devices to play music, Hmm not a good option I would be better off buying one more Squeezebox, as I was hoping to buy just the Sonos zoneplayer only and connect it to my network and also with my dac as I have a network point in hobby room and play and compare the sound with my squeezebox. But I understand that's not the option I will need to spend 280 on zone player and 90 on bridge compare 150 on SQ.
emotion-4.gif

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Apologies for my ignorance, but I am getting confuse, so if I have just one zone player and nothing else I can still play music provided I hardwire it to network and connect it to my dacmagic with optical cable.

daveh75

Zubkabera:Apologies for my ignorance, but I am getting confuse, so if I have just one zone player and nothing else I can still play music provided I hardwire it to network and connect it to my dacmagic with optical cable.Yes you only need one zoneplayer if hardwired,

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Zubkabera:Apologies for my ignorance, but I am getting confuse, so if I have just one zone player and nothing else I can still play music provided I hardwire it to network and connect it to my dacmagic with optical cable.

Right, try again, yes, that's exactly what you can do!

Obviously if your router is in a different room you'll need a long ethernet cable but this isn't an issue, they don't cost much.

A

Anonymous

Zubkabera:Apologies for my ignorance, but I am getting confuse, so if I have just one zone player and nothing else I can still play music provided I hardwire it to network and connect it to my dacmagic with optical cable.

Hi Zubkabera,

Can I ask you what SB device you're using and what you think of the SQ? I am considering a SB Boom myself atm. It's between that one and the Sonos S5.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks now it's clear, I will give Sonos a try to compare the sound quality againt Squeezebox, I have a network point in the room so no problem hardwiring it and use my iphone as remote.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Zubkabera:Thanks now it's clear, I will give Sonos a try to compare the sound quality againt Squeezebox, I have a network point in the room so no problem hardwiring it and use my iphone as remote.

Oh cool, that should work perfectly then (you have got wireless coverage in that room for the iPhone haven't you?).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts