Question from newbie about hi-fi setup

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Hello, and greetings from the Netherlands.

I recently discovered this forum while exploring reviews of Arcam amps.

I currently own a Onkyo TX-SV545 receiver with Quadral Ascent 850 speakers and a Thorens TD166 MKII turntable.

I love my vinyl. I was thinking of replacing my receiver and get an Arcam amp.

I was thinking of the A85 or A70 or even the Arcam Solo All in One. Or maybe other Arcam suggestions.

My 2 questions are.

Would this improve my sound quality?

And which model would have the best result in my current setup?

Many thanks for your advise.

insider9

I've type my reply but for some reason can't see it.

What is your musical taste? I don't know your speakres but from the models you mention A85 is clearly superior. Just remember that it didn't come as standard with phono stage. It doesn't suit rock/metal though hence my question about your musical taste :)

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
nopiano said:
I'd love to help, but Quadral speakers are pretty rare in the uk and I doubt many have heard your combination.

Are you looking for pre-owned Amps or can you audition any?

looking for pre-owned, here its the other way around, people know Quadral but seldom heard of Arcam.

So its hard to audition one, so I have to rely on reviews and users experience.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The older Arcam sound is very "pleasant" and musical, if a little unexciting for some....they work very well with speakers that are a bit upfront and lively. If you pair older Arcams with warm, smooth speakers, the whole effect can be a little soporific.

I have no idea how your speakers sound.

The arcam a85 is the better amp and as I recall wasn't a overly warm amplifier like some previous offerings ...I owned one for 10 or so years with various speakers..kef Q1's .mission 781's b&w 685's,monitor audio silver rx6's and b&w cm5's...the cm5's were the best of the bunch.fantastic amp with acoustic,folk and classical but can be a bit hit or miss with indie and hard rock/metal.ime.

insider9

I agree with Mark. A85 was a great amp and best in Diva range. Didn't come with a phono stage as standard so bear that in mind should you wish to go for it.

In regards to sound it's not the usual Arcam. Not warm at all. In fact incorrectly paired can sound bright. It's really detailed and precise. It can reproduces the sound of instruments really well. Would suit jazz, soul and Barry White.

The criticism of it is that it's not going to want to make you dance to disco. The presentation is very hifi but not that musical. Another issue you may encounter is that it lacks in bass authority when paired wrong. I had mine with a pair of standmounts and bass was slightly lacking. It can be rectified with tone controls should you wish though.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
I agree with Mark. A85 was a great amp and best in Diva range. Didn't come with a phono stage as standard so bear that in mind should you wish to go for it.

In regards to sound it's not the usual Arcam. Not warm at all. In fact incorrectly paired can sound bright. It's really detailed and precise. It can reproduces the sound of instruments really well. Would suit jazz, soul and Barry White.

Good review here: http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/516/#5SOhHqlMEQWOh0yZ.97

It pulls together all the comments made so far.....it's polite, musical, refined, tuneful and revealing (and more neutral than some Arcams). Looks like a great choice.

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
insider9 said:

The criticism of it is that it's not going to want to make you dance to disco. The presentation is very hifi but not that musical. Another issue you may encounter is that it lacks in bass authority when paired wrong. I had mine with a pair of standmounts and bass was slightly lacking. It can be rectified with tone controls should you wish though.

Thanks for sharing that the A85 is lacking a phonostage. I thought it had one but it doesn't come standard. It can be added optional at extra cost.

Since I still have over 1000 vinyl albums a phonostage is a neccessity.

This leaves the A32 as the best alternative for me.

TRENDING THREADS