Question for Gel

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Gel,

Looking to upgrade a top of the line Sony LED set from 7 years ago! Most owners of the W905a jumped ship to OLED.

I know you had multiple years with OLED panels, what was it that made you change in the end?

My biggest concern isn't screen burn. I had Plasma sets in the pass and managed the content well. My room is very bright and I know OLED TVs degrade over time, they gradually dim over the product's lifespan. That could be the deal breaker for me. Just curious to hear from you're own experience.

Now to my second question I was very close to buying a Samsung Q80t/Q90T last week until I heard about stuttering issues on the 2020 Samsung models. I believe you have the top line Samsung at the moment is that correct? If so I have you witnessed any of thes issues people are talking about.

Cheers!

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi Gel,

Looking to upgrade a top of the line Sony LED set from 7 years ago! Most owners of the W905a jumped ship to OLED.

I know you had multiple years with OLED panels, what was it that made you change in the end?

My biggest concern isn't screen burn. I had Plasma sets in the pass and managed the content well. My room is very bright and I know OLED TVs degrade over time, they gradually dim over the product's lifespan. That could be the deal breaker for me. Just curious to hear from you're own experience.

Now to my second question I was very close to buying a Samsung Q80t/Q90T last week until I heard about stuttering issues on the 2020 Samsung models. I believe you have the top line Samsung at the moment is that correct? If so I have you witnessed any of thes issues people are talking about.

Cheers!
Hi mate,

Yes, I had quite a few OLED TVs and screen burn was the deciding factor in me jumping ship and also that I didn’t find them very bright TVs, although you might not notice this as a first time OLED owner, because when I first when to OLED I found them to be very bright and black levels were great. Picture noise came into it too but most don’t notice it because the picture noise doesn’t come from the in focus picture, it’s from the out of focus picture on some 4K Blu-rays. Most don’t notice it at all I found it distracting though.

I didn’t notice the OLED screens dimming at all but the longest I had one was 3 years before screen burn became an issue. Yes, I head about the stuttering issue too recently on the 2020 Samsung TVs I think it’s on 50hz material that the problem arises. I have 3 2019 8K models Samsung TVs model code Q950R and they are fantastic TVs! WHF rated the Samsung Q90R with similar performance to the Q950R but a 4K model so I would recommend that too.

I am pretty sure the 2019 models are all out of stock though I will have a look around. I haven’t owned a 2020 Samsung model though, from what I have read I would recommend the Q900t or the Q950ts with one connect box but that’s way too expensive in my opinion. Last year Samsung TVs got more discounted over Xmas than Black Friday though from the likes of RGB Direct then I price matched them with John Lewis.

BB, has just bought a very good Sony model and it was an LED too the Sony HX9005 I think is the code. This TV does very well in the reviews. What’s your budget and size of TV you want to buy?

Cheers.

Reactions: Stuart.W.D

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi mate,

Yes, I had quite a few OLED TVs and screen burn was the deciding factor in me jumping ship and also that I didn’t find them very bright TVs, although you might not notice this as a first time OLED owner, because when I first when to OLED I found them to be very bright and black levels were great. Picture noise came into it too but most don’t notice it because the picture noise doesn’t come from the in focus picture, it’s from the out of focus picture on some 4K Blu-rays. Most don’t notice it at all I found it distracting though.

I didn’t notice the OLED screens dimming at all but the longest I had one was 3 years before screen burn became an issue. Yes, I head about the stuttering issue too recently on the 2020 Samsung TVs I think it’s on 50hz material that the problem arises. I have 3 2019 8K models Samsung TVs model code Q950R and they are fantastic TVs! WHF rated the Samsung Q90R with similar performance to the Q950R but a 4K model so I would recommend that too.

I am pretty sure the 2019 models are all out of stock though I will have a look around. I haven’t owned a 2020 Samsung model though, from what I have read I would recommend the Q900t or the Q950ts with one connect box but that’s way too expensive in my opinion. Last year Samsung TVs got more discounted over Xmas than Black Friday though from the likes of RGB Direct then I price matched them with John Lewis.

BB, has just bought a very good Sony model and it was an LED too the Sony HX9005 I think is the code. This TV does very well in the reviews. What’s your budget and size of TV you want to buy?

Cheers.

Gel thank you for the detailed reply it is much appreciated. My budget is maxed out at £1199.00. I sit 8ft from the TV so I was thinking 55" or 65"

I did hear the 2019 Samsung sets are fine in that regard. It is unfortunate for me as I was very impressed by the 2020 QLED sets. The Sony XH90 and XH95 are certainly options, my partner is not a fan of the design. I believe she is put of by the feet. Trying my best to win her around on the Sony models as I'm struggling to see any other good LED TVs.

If I buy LED I need a VA panel with good local dimming and solid motion for Sports content and gaming

D

Deleted member 2457

Gel thank you for the detailed reply it is much appreciated. My budget is maxed out at £1199.00. I sit 8ft from the TV so I was thinking 55" or 65"

I did hear the 2019 Samsung sets are fine in that regard. It is unfortunate for me as I was very impressed by the 2020 QLED sets. The Sony XH90 and XH95 are certainly options, my partner is not a fan of the design. I believe she is put of by the feet. Trying my best to win her around on the Sony models as I'm struggling to see any other good LED TVs.

If I buy LED I need a VA panel with good local dimming and solid motion for Sports content and gaming
BigBoss, can you help Stuart out? With info on your new Sony from what I know it sounds perfect though and you will be able to get a 65-inch and the bigger the TV is always the best route.

D

Deleted member 2457

From the WHF review motions sounds great too and it will do gaming on the news consoles:

Amazing contrast too with inky blacks and bright screen - that’s the dream!

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
From the WHF review motions sounds great too and it will do gaming on the news consoles:

Amazing contrast too with inky blacks and bright screen - that’s the dream!

Thanks Gel,

I will check it out in my local retail store on Monday

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

Apple TV app launches on Sony TVs too:

(y)

Reactions: Stuart.W.D
BigBoss, can you help Stuart out? With info on your new Sony from what I know it sounds perfect though and you will be able to get a 65-inch and the bigger the TV is always the best route.
XH9005 is a fantastic TV. Blacks are black and it has a natural rendition of colours. It struggles a bit with the fastest of motions (probably I'm too close to the 75-inch screen, and the source was Amazon Prime through WiFi).....need to get to the correct settings for it but otherwise it's beautiful. Motion generally is very good.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
XH9005 is a fantastic TV. Blacks are black and it has a natural rendition of colours. It struggles a bit with the fastest of motions (probably I'm too close to the 75-inch screen, and the source was Amazon Prime through WiFi).....need to get to the correct settings for it but otherwise it's beautiful. Motion generally is very good.

I'm glad you like the Sony, I will test the XH95 and XH900 tomorrow! I appreciate the feedback BB thank you!

Reactions: bigboss

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site

If you have a look on Amazon there are TV stands that you could use to replace the feet and have the Sony mounted on a pedestal stand, thus side stepping the feet issue. I was looking at the Samsung Q80t for my folks (that has a pedestal stand) but am now looking for the Sony H9505 and a pedestal stand to help it sit on the stand in the corner as the Sony feet are too far apart 👍

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
If you have a look on Amazon there are TV stands that you could use to replace the feet and have the Sony mounted on a pedestal stand, thus side stepping the feet issue. I was looking at the Samsung Q80t for my folks (that has a pedestal stand) but am now looking for the Sony H9505 and a pedestal stand to help it sit on the stand in the corner as the Sony feet are too far apart 👍

The pedestal stands are glass base which is a deal-breaker for me. I pulled the trigger on the Sony XH95 in the 65" model. Looking forward to the set arriving. @giggsy1977 thanks a million for making me aware of the stuttering issues on the Samsung 2020 QLED models.. 👍🏻😎👍🏻

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts