Question About Cyrus Monoblocks

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so I've just won the lottery and I'm going to try buy a pair of PMC26 speakers. And then I woke up...

They're TRI-wireable.

How do I accomplish this with Cyrus monoblocks?

The monomblocks have two pairs of speaker outlets, but I can't rememebr if there are twin mono amplifiers in each case or just one single one, the output of which is fed to both sets of terminals.

So, to TRI-amp and TRI-wire, would I need SIX Monoblocks??

Benedict_Arnold said:
Okay, so I've just won the lottery and I'm going to try buy a pair of PMC26 speakers. And then I woke up...

They're TRI-wireable.

The monomblocks have two pairs of speaker outlets, but I can't rememebr if there are twin mono amplifiers in each case or just one single one, the output of which is fed to both sets of terminals.

Personally I wouldn't bother, unless you have won the lottery and can tri-amp.

Like bi-wiring I could never hear any benefit in tri-wiring.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

They're TRI-wireable.

Agreed: and the money spent on 3 Cyrus monoblocs would be much better spent on a better single power amp or better speakers. (They do exist.)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Al ears said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

They're TRI-wireable.

Agreed: and the money spent on 3 Cyrus monoblocs would be much better spent on a better single power amp or better speakers. (They do exist.)

+1

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but for argument's sake, how would you do it?

With Cyrus monoblocks or someone else's?

Or would you just tri-wire the things to two single monos or one stereo?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
To tri amp the PMC 26's you would need six Cyrus monoblocks which would be a waste of money as is tri wiring with any amount of amps imo.

A single pair of monoblocks placed next to each speaker with short thick (4mm to 6mm ) speaker cables and two strips of solid copper wire as jumpers between the other terminals .

That way you could afford to buy one pair of much better quality monoblocks that will drive the PMC's far better and be far more cost effective not to mention sound better.*smile*

There is a pair of s/h monoblocks at a very reasonable price on fleabay at the moment that would fit the bill nicely *good*

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrocompaniet-AW-180-Monoblock-Class-A-amplifiers-PAIR-/272005638049?hash=item3f54cca7a1

No affiliation *smile*

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Yeah, but for argument's sake, how would you do it?

With Cyrus monoblocks or someone else's?

Or would you just tri-wire the things to two single monos or one stereo?

I'd get a single bully-boy stereo power amp, something like an MF M8-500s or a Sanders Magtech.

Then I'd add the money I'd saved to the speaker kitty.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
I suppose you could employ 4 monoblocks. Use a pair to connect to the bass and slide up the connecting rods so the other pair of monoblocks drive the midrange / tweeter. But I wouldn't bother :)

That's what I was thinking. Tri-wired speakers might be nice in principle, but the practicalities seem dauniting.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Al ears said:
I suppose you could employ 4 monoblocks. Use a pair to connect to the bass and slide up the connecting rods so the other pair of monoblocks drive the midrange / tweeter. But I wouldn't bother :)

That's what I was thinking. Tri-wired speakers might be nice in principle, but the practicalities seem dauniting.

... and almost totally pointless. Multi-amping is simply not worth the money. The amps' output still has to pass through the speakers' crossovers. Active operation, which by definition needs multiple power amps, is a different matter altogether.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The only multi-amp configuration worth a candle is probably within an active system. (Along with an electronic crossover.)

These can be integrated within the confines of the speaker cabinet or use multiple, separate, dedicated power amplifiers (and an electronic x-over box) externally like Naim still do with their 3-way and 2-way 'Aktiv' electronic crossover cards.

SteveR750

matt49 said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Al ears said:

... and almost totally pointless. Multi-amping is simply not worth the money. The amps' output still has to pass through the speakers' crossovers. Active operation, which by definition needs multiple power amps, is a different matter altogether.

+1

SteveR750 said:
matt49 said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Al ears said:

+1

+2

I don't think that I would go any further than a monoblock per speaker.

SteveR750

Al ears said:
SteveR750 said:
matt49 said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Al ears said:

+1

+2

I wouldn't have even got that far, but that's another thread... :)

SteveR750 said:
Al ears said:
SteveR750 said:
matt49 said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Al ears said:

+1

+2

I wouldn't have even got that far, but that's another thread... :)

:) However, it sounds like Benedict_Arnold already has them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts