What floorstanders for Cyrus System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Yama-ha-ha will NOT be making the list. Come off it, you'll be suggesting I pop down to Comet next

T

the record spot

EDIT: Okay, short of telling you where to go and what to do when you get there, where you buy your kit and what kit you buy is your call.

You asked for a suggestion and rather than spout the same as everyone else, you got another alternative. Given your classy reply (/snark) I suspect I'll leave you to it from hereon in.

T

the record spot

crimsondonkey:Record spot - have you heard the Yamaha's?

I haven't, but David Price gave them a very positive review in Hi Fi World some time ago. They currently sit in the same mag's recommended contemporary kit list alongside the Monitor Audio GS60. I'd be keen to hear them as I think Yamaha opened up the chequebook for them.

matthewpiano

Darren Heal:Yama-ha-ha will NOT be making the list. Come off it, you'll be suggesting I pop down to Comet next

Here we go again. More hi-fi snobbery. There is no reason why the Yamahas wouldn't be every bit as good as Spendors, ATCs and the like. If you don't give them a fair chance, you'll never know.

A

Anonymous

I suspect Yamaha know more about making music than any other hifi manufacturer!

matthewpiano

igglebert:I suspect Yamaha know more about making music than any other hifi manufacturer!

Well, seeing as they make some glorious hand-built concert grand pianos, countless other orchestral instruments, and considering that their kit is used across the professional world during composing and recording processes, I think they should always be worthy of consideration.

A

Anonymous

Whatever the rights and wrongs of Yamaha products, I will not be spending MY money on their speakers. Period.

If that makes me a hifi snob, so be it.

matthewpiano

the record spot:Going off topic here, but Sansui AU-X111 Matthew? Very nice...! Is that the MOS Vintage?

http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translate_url_content?.intl=us&lp=ja_en&trurl=http://www.audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/amp/au-x111mosvintage.html

Sadly no, although I am on the look-out for something more along those lines eventually. My AU-X111 was more of a budget Sansui from 1991. Its a very very nice sounding amp and I'm really enjoying it. It was originally sold individually or as part of 'The System' - a WHF award winning set-up that included the CD-X111 CD player I'm also using (MASH, 4-DAC) and the Mission 760 speakers (which are definitely bettered by the MS25Ti).

By the early 90s Sansui had really lost all their edge at the budget end, but this one was a fortunate upwards blip at the time when Mission had been taken under Sansui's wing. I also have a 1970s AU-2900 and the two actually sound very similar. I'm a big fan of Sansui kit.

T

the record spot

Darren Heal:
Whatever the rights and wrongs of Yamaha products, I will not be spending MY money on their speakers. Period.

If that makes me a hifi snob, so be it.

As previously stated, I couldn't care less what you spend your cash on whatsoever, but you showed yourself up with your reply to my suggestion.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Gusboll:

Add PMC FB1i to the list - they sound fab with cyrus.

Led Zeppelin - Black Dog

They look quite good as well imo...

3937268999_22806ecc7e.jpg

Spacemen 3 - Playing with Fire

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
They look cracking mate, ive read that their finish is superb too, your picky clarifies that from what i can see. Be prepared for some mr smart trousers to mention your speaker positioning by the way. As for what i think,well if they sound good to you in the constraints of your lounge, thats all that matters innit
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

If I offended by saying I will not be guying Yamahas I apologise, BUT it is my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Just to point out Yamaha also make motorcycles. The point being that a corporation the size of Yamaha has numerous divisions and as such one that may excel in one field (Yamaha actually started out as a musical instrument manufacturer - yes I did know that - hence the three crossed tuing forks of their logo), it doesn't necessarily mean theat they excel in all.

Speaking of motorcycles, way back when the world was black and white and people walked funny, or 1997 if you prefer, I had the opportunity to demo three motorcycles back-to-back-to-back: A Yamaha R1, A Triumph 955i Daytona, and a Ducati 748. The Yamaha and Triumph runs lasted about 30 minutes each, the Ducati run 2 hours (no it didn't break down, I put 150 miles on the thing). The differences were all too plain. I walked away from the dealer several grand lighter after putting down the deposit on a £13,500 Ducati 916 (not the 748) and not the far cheaper Yamaha or Triumph.

Yamaha make lots of different things, so do Honda (which would you really choose - a CRV or a Discovery?), and Kawasaki build power stations and submarines (and when was the last time Kawasaki won a major event?). Ducati only build motorcycles.

And that is where I am with the speakers, I'm afraid.

Anyway, this month is a five-weeker, i.e. I get to bill for five weeks instead of four, so when I get paid around the middle of next month, I figure I'll be buying some speakers, just need to decide which ones.

A

Anonymous

Interesting comparison, Darren, but I'm not sure it will hold all the way...

I can imagine your association with Yamaha making motorcycles, but I have owned both a Diversion600 and now a CD-S700 CD transport (thanks to Rick from Musicraft for pointing me at it :) ) and have to say that both are terrific machines!

Anyway, back to your original question on floorstanders - you might actually want to consider B&W as well. I've had various older models (CDM-series, 602), and have auditioned the 803 and 804. They work very well with Cyrus, and at least you won't be forced to upgrade your pre-amp.....
emotion-11.gif

matthewpiano

Fair enough. Everyone is different. I just think these choices are best made on giving everything a fair audition, that's all.

For the record, I'd have the better engineered Honda over the Discovery EVERY time. Wouldn't touch any Land Rover vehicle with a barge pole.

Back to topic, I'd strongly recommend auditioning Spendors and PMCs. Both excellent manufacturers.

A

Anonymous

Rob18653:

but I have owned both a Diversion600

When I was 18 my XJ550 (the granddaddy of the 600 Divvie) blew its gearbox at the foot of a very steep hill between Newton Abbot and Teignmouth and my dad had to tow me home (which was at the top of said hill).
emotion-39.gif
emotion-39.gif

[Expletive deleted] Yamaha might know how to built a bang-on piano but they knew [another expletive deleted]-all about gearboxes.

Anyway, I dropped by Holburn Hifi in Aberfreeze today and they suggested I try using the 8-powers in twin mono before parting with wads of cash on new speakers, so I'm going to give that a go. Kind of unusul for a Scottish business not wanting my cash (joke) (but then I had just spent 500 quid on a DAB8).

Rob18653:

Interesting comparison, Darren, but I'm not sure it will hold all the way...

I can imagine your association with Yamaha making motorcycles, but I have owned both a Diversion600 and now a CD-S700 CD transport (thanks to Rick from Musicraft for pointing me at it :) ) and have to say that both are terrific machines!

Anyway, back to your original question on floorstanders - you might actually want to consider B&W as well. I've had various older models (CDM-series, 602), and have auditioned the 803 and 804. They work very well with Cyrus, and at least you won't be forced to upgrade your pre-amp.....
emotion-11.gif

Hi Rob18653

Thanks for your kind words and for your support.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Well that made a difference.

I re-jigged the power amps and speaker cables and set up the whole shebang in twin mono whilst I was tidying up the power cables.

Talk about chalk and cheese, night and day, Morcambe and Wise!!!

Stonking bass out of the Mezzo 6's, almost too much. I even disconnected the subwoofer from the stereo side of things (it's still hooked up to the surround sound).

Gonna give the Mezzos a second chance.

A

Anonymous

Magneplanar MG2.5R speakers .... used but in good condition

Buy it now at £499 .... ebay item 320427481313

you will have loads of spare cash and a damn fine pair of speakers

A

Anonymous

dim_span:

Magneplanar MG2.5R speakers .... used but in good condition

Buy it now at £499 .... ebay item 320427481313

you will have loads of spare cash and a damn fine pair of speakers