Question about Creek SR4040 cable sockets

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all - recently got given a faulty Creek SR4040 but managed to get it repaired for £40 (dunno whether this is a good deal, therefore). It sounds pretty good to my ears - but the speaker input socket efforts on the amp are a bit whacky. Anyone know what they're called? They're nowt like the screw on ones on my Rotel RA921. Incidentally, I do think the Creek sounds like a step up from the Rotel - the phono stage seems better for one thing. Thanks everyone.

A

Anonymous

Not heard of the SR4040. I have a CAS 4040 and the speaker connectors are standard. Maybe your model had DIN connectors? Still available at Maplins if they are.

Agree about the phono stage, it's excellent.

A

Anonymous

To my knowledge there are no speaker input sockets on the 4040 series, only outputs. Also, can you confirm that model number? The documents relate to the CAS 4040, which is the same as mine.

John Duncan

I had a 4040 and if I recall the speaker sockets were normal, but would only take banana plugs. The source inputs were DIN as well, which may be the confusion (though unlikely seeing as he talks about 'screw in' sockets)?

A

Anonymous

Just had a look at mine. The 4040 takes both banana plugs and bare cable, albeit of small diameter. Perhaps the confusion is over the two yellow binding posts, marked switched speaker outputs, which basically you don't use.

John Duncan

Tarquinh:Just had a look at mine. The 4040 takes both banana plugs and bare cable, albeit of small diameter. Perhaps the confusion is over the two yellow binding posts, marked switched speaker outputs, which basically you don't use.

Unless you want the speakers to mute when you put headphones in, which is usually what they're for...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for those replies! The amp is a 4040S2. The sockets take very slim jacks - perhaps 4mm or thereabouts. Very strange - I've never seen them before. There is no other means of connecting cable - apart from maybe stuffing a length of carefully twisted strands into the sockets which I guess would work but doesn't seem the best solution. I got the amp with a pair of speakers and cables - the cables have the sockets on the end and so I can clearly see what they look like. They really don't look like banana clip types. This is a bit strange. I'm thinking unless I want to stick with the cables I've been given I will have to detach the jack plug things and either solder them to the ends of my preferred cable (Cable Talk 2.1) or else just "tin" the ends of the 2.1 and stuff it into the Creek.

A

Anonymous

I have the earlier model. Just tried them with ordinary speaker banana plugs, which fit perfectly. Try the Creek forum, or contact Creek directly, they're very helpful.

A

Anonymous

Yeah - thanks. I'll give it a go.
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I tried banana thingys. They are banana thingys. I resign. Here is my cap, badge and gun. And an apology to those above who said they were banana thingys.
emotion-4.gif
emotion-7.gif
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

No worries. It's an excellent little amp you have there, by the way.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I'm liking! Quite a weighty ****** considering its somewhat diminutive dimensions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts