An Eye-Opener About My Electricity Supply

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
This might make heavy reading but bear with me.

For the best part of a year now we've had flickering lights, in a step-down then step-up fashion. One night I turned the rooms' light as low as it would dim to, then watched telly. The light went off at about 8pm which probably coincided with some soap opera finishing. So I thought OK the kettles are going on around us but that is serious volt drop and a few minutes later the light sort of glowed back to life. Into the memory bank it went...

More than a few times I'd been listening to some music and thought.. Gawd it sounds pretty mediocre for some reason, must be my ears playing up again as I usually get 3 or 4 weeks in an 'all sounds wonderful' bubble then I get some lurgy or other. But this was happening more frequently, and to a higher degree. To counteract this I was hitting a pretty hefty preset on the DEQ and all sounded wonderful again. The day after I'd sit down, switch on and wonder how the heck I thought that sounded any good yesterday? Bypass the DEQ, ahh that's good. Into the memory bank...

A few weeks ago I got a chance to do a side-by-side bake-off with my iRDAC and an Audiolab MDAC. Well, I was pleasantly surprised, the Audiolab presented everything just how I like it, just a step-up from the Arcam in detail and presentation in my system and grins all round. Until one night it went off, then on, then off, then on. Oh Gawd not a faulty one? Then the memory bank woke up. Got a DMM spliced into a plug top into a 13A socket and read off 189 VAC. 189??? Thats ridiculous, so called Electricity NorthWest and they found the problem in a nearby junction box. I had a really good talk with the guy who called but they haven't informed me what the problem was or how they cured it, I suspect they upped my supply directly on the transformer.

Hi-fi related, although I'm assuming my primarily valve-powered amp has a voltage regulator inside, it must have been suffering more than it could correct for because it sounded more like 1800 pence rather than £ without severe EQ. I'm not sure what could have been happening further back in the chain but needless to say all is now wonderful and the iRDAC will be leaving my system, with fond memories.

PS Mine was the first complaint about any problem with the supply in years.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
paulkebab said:
This might make heavy reading but bear with me.

For the best part of a year now we've had flickering lights, in a step-down then step-up fashion. One night I turned the rooms' light as low as it would dim to, then watched telly. The light went off at about 8pm which probably coincided with some soap opera finishing. So I thought OK the kettles are going on around us but that is serious volt drop and a few minutes later the light sort of glowed back to life. Into the memory bank it went...

More than a few times I'd been listening to some music and thought.. Gawd it sounds pretty mediocre for some reason, must be my ears playing up again as I usually get 3 or 4 weeks in an 'all sounds wonderful' bubble then I get some lurgy or other. But this was happening more frequently, and to a higher degree. To counteract this I was hitting a pretty hefty preset on the DEQ and all sounded wonderful again. The day after I'd sit down, switch on and wonder how the heck I thought that sounded any good yesterday? Bypass the DEQ, ahh that's good. Into the memory bank...

A few weeks ago I got a chance to do a side-by-side bake-off with my iRDAC and an Audiolab MDAC. Well, I was pleasantly surprised, the Audiolab presented everything just how I like it, just a step-up from the Arcam in detail and presentation in my system and grins all round. Until one night it went off, then on, then off, then on. Oh Gawd not a faulty one? Then the memory bank woke up. Got a DMM spliced into a plug top into a 13A socket and read off 189 VAC. 189??? Thats ridiculous, so called Electricity NorthWest and they found the problem in a nearby junction box. I had a really good talk with the guy who called but they haven't informed me what the problem was or how they cured it, I suspect they upped my supply directly on the transformer.

Hi-fi related, although I'm assuming my primarily valve-powered amp has a voltage regulator inside, it must have been suffering more than it could correct for because it sounded more like 1800 pence rather than £ without severe EQ. I'm not sure what could have been happening further back in the chain but needless to say all is now wonderful and the iRDAC will be leaving my system, with fond memories.

PS Mine was the first complaint about any problem with the supply in years.

Better too low than too high, I know a guy where high voltage blew out light bulbs, a video and a fridge freezer!

TRENDING THREADS