Question Question about bookshelf speakers

Jordi Vives

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Dear friends

I am putting together a budget but decent system for a medium sized bedroom (around 2.5 m by 5 m) consisting of:
  • Lenco L-400BK turntable
  • Marantz PM4001 amplifier but it is a bit old and I am thinking of replacing it for an Onkyo A-9010
  • The record player feeds into the phono input of the amplifier but I have an option to use the record player’s own in-built phono preamp or a Schiit Mani.
The current Marantz makes 35 watts per channel I think, and the Onkyo would do 44. But I am also thinking of getting a small valve amplifier, something in the order of 15 watts per channel 9probably I will build a kit), as a possible extra option.
So, I need a pair of bookshelf speakers – due to space issues, they would stay at about 15 0r 20 cm off the wall on top of a large electronic piano which does the job of the bookshelf and that would in due course be also outputted to the same amplifier.
This leaves me with the following specs for the bookshelf speakers:
  • They must be suitable for an amplifier power range of 15-75 watts
  • They must be reasonably efficient
  • The base must not exceed 23 x 23 cm
  • They are for classical music so not a bassy boomy system, for me what matters is the mid-frequencies, particularly piano and vocal range. I don’t listen to music loud but it has to have decent presence and not sound too underpowered.
  • Budget around 200 Eur, can go up to 225 max.
After many hours reviewing information it seems to be narrowing-down to the Wharferdale speakers,maybe 210, 220 or 11.0 models, but I am having difficulties locating them in Belgium (though Amazon.de or .fr which I normally use have them).
So Please can I ask:
  • What is a reasonable choice: 210, 220, 11.0 - or do you have other suggestions?
  • Would the speakers match the amplifier properly?
  • Any other advice you care to give me
Thank you very much in advance

Jordi

Last edited:

Jordi Vives

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
It would be much easier if you decided on the amp first. I'd suggest different bookshelves depending on whether you go with Onkyo, Marantz or a valve amp.

Dear Insider9

You are of course right. Let us therefore do the exercise for the Marantz PM4001 please, because this is the amplifier I have at the moment. It is a bit old but it still has life in it, and when it finally gives up the ghost I might get the Onkyo but I can always choose a model that is compatible with the specs of the Marantz - e.g. the marantz PM 6001, as a successor, and maintain the speakers. The valve amplifier is an extra long term idea, but as you say, there is no one size fits all with these things and I am mostly likely to go solid state, given the prices and mutually contradictory and confusing advice that I have got with valve amplifiers.

Kindest regards

Jordi

Last edited:

Jordi Vives

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
I got my dad the Wharfedale 220 and imo they're very bass shy, no matter their position - might've been the amp, though. I'd look at Dali Spektor instead.
Aha, a new idea, thanks! According to What Hifi review, this is compatible with Marantz PM6006 and the Onkyo 9010, the price is good - and the dimensions compartible with my shelf - would you say Dali Spectore I or II?

D

Deleted member 108165

Don't purchase them online unless you can send them back. Home demo is best but failing that then a friendly retailer. Don't purchase blind, (or deaf I suppose), sometimes you get lucky, generally you don't.

D

Deleted member 108165

So WHF recommends it and I don't. What's your point?
If WHF recommends it it must be a good pairing :)

To the OP use your ears, if it sounds bright and exciting when you first listen to it don't buy it as that will soon grate and give you listener fatigue. You'll know the right sound when you hear it... everyone's ears are different.

Jordi Vives

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Dear friends

After reading all the advice and pondering, I decided to buy the Dali Spektor 2. The speakers arrived today, from Germany. And here is what I have to say.

I am very happy! Compared with the Mordaunt Short 902i, these speakers show none of the “dark sounding”issues that I was having before. They are exactly the thing I wanted.

Forgive me if I am not familiar with audiophile vocabulary so I will try with my own words. Power wise the Spektrs want a bit more power than the 902s, but the Marantz has plenty to run relaxed with the speakers at very good volume, the system is therefore well at ease with no distorsions, nice and cool. With the speakers some 12 cm to the wall, in equilateral triangle configuration with me at the tip, the bass is clear and agile, the mediums are very detailed and the highs present at the right level and very nice, not tiring the ear, no stridency. The general tendency is for open sound clear and natural, not darkened or over-coloured. I can hear all the instruments and all the counterepoints.

The test consisted of playing (all Vinyl):
a) Beethoven Symphony No. 4 by Karajan and the Berlin Phil, 1977
b) Favourite Things by John Coltrane
c) Haydn String Quartet Op. 54/2, Orlando Quartet
d) Desafinado by Stan Getz and Charlie Bird
If out of the box it sounded like it did, |I can imagine me only getting happier and happier.

As per looks they look fine, they fit perfectly in the place I had for them, the wood fibre cones look very nice.

So what can I say? Thank you for all the advice, I learned a lot and I am happy!

Off I go to listen to the next test, the Eroica. Yay!

Last edited:

rainsoothe

Look in the manual for what's the best distance from the walls are. Toe in makes a difference, try just a little toe to get them quite colourless and then a bit more for luck!
As far as I know, Dali are designed for no toe-in, but of course experimentation is always welcome.

@OP - glad you like them, imo Marantz and Dali are a match made in heaven. And for the record, just like Insider9, I also think Marantz+Q Acoustics blows. So don't wonder "what if", I think that for your budget, you have a great sounding system. Enjoy.

Reactions: insider9

Jordi Vives

Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Hi rainsoothe

Indeed, several weeks have passed and I am very very happy, if anything the Spectors are sounding even better as I keep using them. So I have not thought about what ifs.

Fixed on jazz at the moment, and the Miles Davis Kind of Blue is sounding magnificent on my LP record player. The clarity is immense, and the power is perfect for the room. My next improvement will be to get a better eliptical needle for the record player but for now I am really happy with everything.

Jordi

Reactions: rainsoothe

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts