Query - Bi Wiring Using a 4 way speaker switch

Bosch

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, this is my first post on What Hi Fi and I am relatively new to "Hi Fi" in terms of focusing my attention to get the best possible sound from my system. With this in mind, and my relatively limited knowledge I'm after some advice.....

I'm running a Pioneer A400 (with 1 set of speaker outputs, no A & B). I've recently purchased a B Tech 4 speaker set output switch. I was considering bi-wiring my pair of celestion F30's but after some research realised with my amp limited amp output options connecting the speakers directly to the amp probably wouldn't give noticable improvement.

Thinking outside the box alittle I was wondering what people's opinions are on running 2 / 2 cables from my amp output set into the speaker switch input set...then utilising 2 sets of speaker switch ouputs per speaker with 2 / 4 cables.

It would be great to hear both what people think the results would be and also the science behide delivering the signals in this way?

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If you want to biwire your speakers there is no need for the switching box. You can just double up the wires on the amplifiers terminals.

With regards to biwiring in general, the amplifier still sees the same electrical load and is still delivering exactly the same full range signal to each set of HF & LF terminals on the speakers. The crossover in the speaker is doing the job of frequency filtering for each driver. The return signal back to the amp will have the relevant frequencies filtered out, but as both sets of cables are connected to exactly the same amplifier the end result is no different to single wiring.

I've biwired and single wired various speakers over the years and I've never noticed any change in performance. It's up to you if you want to try it, but there is no point adding the switcher to the circuit it will have no use for bi wiring.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
But what about all those audiophiles that can hear a difference? If it hasn't worked for you it doesn't mean it doesn't work at all.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
But what about all those audiophiles that can hear a difference? If it hasn't worked for you it doesn't mean it doesn't work at all.

Well like I said to the OP, it's up to him if he wants to try it.

My ears with my systems have never heard any benefit. I'm not saying others won't, but it's not for me. Electrically the end result is the same.

My main point was he doesn't need the switcher he's bought for wiring it up.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
Vladimir said:

Well like I said to the OP, it's up to him if he wants to try it.

My ears with my systems have never heard any benefit. I'm not saying others won't, but it's not for me.

Wow subjectivist rebuttal is so powerfull. I made you backpedal with a two sentance post. *biggrin*

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Don't really see where I've back-pedalled? My original reply said it's up to him if he wants to try it. I mentioned my experiences with it, nowhere did I say a differnce will not be heard. I said electrically it's the same and I've never heard a difference. Deduce from that what you will :D

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
bored_baby.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If you want a serious improvement from your A400, clean every pot and switch inside the amp and set the idle current for 50mV (or around 170mA).

Bosch

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info, I bought the switch with the intention of using it in a different application.

From the info provided, my decision seems to be -

a. Save my money and use the cambridge audio symphony 400 cable I have for the connections (perhaps using the same type of cable to replace the jumper plates??)

b. Shell out on some bi-wire and give it a go

c. this is another thread all together really....try bi amping with a spare amp I have to power tweeters and the A400 for the mids woofers??...This would be a passive crossover setup.

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is...other than speaker placement etc, room sonics etc. etc. how can I get most bang from what I've currently got with little outlay?

The room the system will soon be in (after a house move) is 5m x 6m, I intend to space the speakers towards the corners of the 5m wall, toed in slightly towards a focal point in the middle of the room aprox 3m into the room where i intend to sit.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Bosch said:
Thanks for the info, I bought the switch with the intention of using it in a different application.

a. Save my money and use the cambridge audio symphony 400 cable I have for the connections (perhaps using the same type of cable to replace the jumper plates??)

c. this is another thread all together really....try bi amping with a spare amp I have to power tweeters and the A400 for the mids woofers??...This would be a passive crossover setup.

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is...other than speaker placement etc, room sonics etc. etc. how can I get most bang from what I've currently got with little outlay?

The room the system will soon be in (after a house move) is 5m x 6m, I intend to space the speakers towards the corners of the 5m wall, toed in slightly towards a focal point in the middle of the room aprox 3m into the room where i intend to sit.

Your speaker positioning does not sound right, near corners and that far apart. I suggest about 2-3 m apart and away from corners and out from wall about 1 ft or more. As for toe-in depends on drivers, so experiment.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
BigH is (ofcourse) correct. Aim for equilateral triangle placement. Hence 3m apart. Experiment with position & toe-in. Placement, room acoustics, setup - cheapest and most effective by far.

@Vlad - luv the cute pic

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
Bosch said:

Your speaker positioning does not sound right, near corners and that far apart. I suggest about 2-3 m apart and away from corners and out from wall about 1 ft or more. As for toe-in depends on drivers, so experiment.

Indeed, corners are not a good idea. Neither is such a large gap between the speakers BigH is correct with his placement suggestion.

The best way to get the best from your equipment is correct positioning and support. After that it's all subjective. I'd suggest the best single run speaker cable you can afford spending on instead of paying for biwire. Try and keep signal and mains cables apart and just enjoy the music :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts