Quadraphonic records and equipment

• Thread starter BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW
  • Start date
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I bought a quadraphonic record today, and it got me thinking about how good it would sound on the right equipment, how it would sound on normal stereo equipment, and what equipment I would actually need to buy to play it properly.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a few quad records (Sly Stone – High On You; Weather Report – Mysterious Traveller and Keith Jarrett – Back Hand) and I'd love to hear them in all their quaddy glory.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I bought a quadraphonic record today, and it got me thinking about how good it would sound on the right equipment, how it would sound on normal stereo equipment, and what equipment I would actually need to buy to play it properly.

Some formats were designed to work on stereo equipment but for four channel you are going to need some sort of decoder. I remember Sansui doing an SQ decoder back in the 70's.

There was an article of quadrophonic sound in one of the other hifi publications not so long ago, I will try to find it.

There were also dedicated quad cartridges like the Shure M24H but these are no longer made.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks for the responses. I only have 2 Quadraphonic records, so it's not a big passion, just an interest in how good it would sound, and if it sounded special, what equipment I would need. It seems from what I have read (thanks Mike), that it's probably not worth investing a great deal in equipment.

I have an AV receiver, and wondered if Quadraphonic would sound better than listening in 5.1, as I think 5.1 sounds pretty awful?

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Thanks for the responses. I only have 2 Quadraphonic records, so it's not a big passion, just an interest in how good it would sound, and if it sounded special, what equipment I would need. It seems from what I have read (thanks Mike), that it's probably not worth investing a great deal in equipment.

I have an AV receiver, and wondered if Quadraphonic would sound better than listening in 5.1, as I think 5.1 sounds pretty awful?

As far as I am aware, with your current equipment, you would only get it in stereo. A true quad set-up would require everything from the cartridge on down through decoder and amp.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Al ears said:
As far as I am aware, with your current equipment, you would only get it in stereo. A true quad set-up would require everything from the cartridge on down through decoder and amp.

I meant as in using the receiver's built in music surround decoding, like Neo 6 and Dolby something or other. Anyway, I just tried it with a normal stereo album, and it sounded cak.

I'm guessing a really good Quadraphonic setup would sound good, but I'm not so interested that I want to invest any money in it.

I did think someone on here might have a Quadraphonic setup though, that was half of the reason for asking.

Mar 14, 2020
Visit site
The absolute authority on quadraphonic is the QuadraphonicQuad .com forum. To do quad would require 4 identical speakers for best sound, two stereo amplifiers, and a decoder for the quad format you're playing, and a turntable. If it's CD-4, you'll need a special cartridge with a linear contact stylus, and the turntable needs low capacitance wiring. An Audio technica AT440MLb cartridge will work, and it's still available. If you're into vintage gear, you can find receivers that have everything built in. Sansui and JVC are good brands. I have a quad setup that I have maintained from the late 70's. I love quad.

The absolute authority on quadraphonic is the QuadraphonicQuad .com forum. To do quad would require 4 identical speakers for best sound, two stereo amplifiers, and a decoder for the quad format you're playing, and a turntable. If it's CD-4, you'll need a special cartridge with a linear contact stylus, and the turntable needs low capacitance wiring. An Audio technica AT440MLb cartridge will work, and it's still available. If you're into vintage gear, you can find receivers that have everything built in. Sansui and JVC are good brands. I have a quad setup that I have maintained from the late 70's. I love quad.
Not sure BigBernard is with us any more.
This thread is four years old and came from the previous forum

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts