Quad kit bright, warm or neutral?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The Quad kit were peeper – until I swapped the amps for a Roksan K2 BT during my demo Wednesday.

Made me rethink what I'm doing. I'm going to try amps and CD players as well, might end up keeping the Quad 21L2's as main speakers and change the Quad amps instead!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Ring Malc at Jordan accoustics and ask if he has a pair of ART Prestige 8s he can send you down on dem , ignore the price , just for a listen to some damn fine speakers. Going by what you are after you will hate Focals trust me.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
The Quad kit were peeper – until I swapped the amps for a Roksan K2 BT during my demo Wednesday.

Made me rethink what I'm doing. I'm going to try amps and CD players as well, might end up keeping the Quad 21L2's as main speakers and change the Quad amps instead!

Get to try some valve amps then. Oh bum I've just seen the rrp for your speakers and Ive sent you down the ART route ,lol.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
floyd droid said:
FennerMachine said:
maybe Focal as there is somewhere near I can go to demo them.

Oooh that will be fun , I can hear the ruddy things now ,lol. But hey they may well float your boat , doubtful but stranger things have happened.

Now now...

Focals are fabulous speakers with the right amplification.

(Get your hair cut :) )

Have you actually listened to Focals with the 'right' amplifacation? Or did you read it in a mag

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
That doesn't bode well for them then!

I want a smooth/organic/natural sounding system!

Thats how mine sounds, with a touch of warmth; PMC LB1, Linn K20 speaker cable, Icone S40 intigrated amp with KT88 Sovtek valves, Rega Apollo CD and a lot of Spotify. You can come a listen if you want to travel to Ipswich? Dave Wren at 'Radlett Audio' is an Icon dealer, he is near Saffron Walden. Also Croft, Spendor and Harbeth.

radlettaudio@hotmail.co.uk

http://www.radlettaudio.co.uk/contact.html

01799 599080

CJSF

FennerMachine said:
3 separate statements or implications of being bright sounding.

Perhaps I'll give them a miss! Use the time to do some other demoing.

They're only a hard listen if A) you have crummy room acoustics... B) if you have an amp with the same characteristics... or C) both.

Get the match right and you'r jake.

I'd rather have a set-up that makes me tingle than one that makes me nod off.

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
floyd droid said:
FennerMachine said:

Oooh that will be fun , I can hear the ruddy things now ,lol. But hey they may well float your boat , doubtful but stranger things have happened.

Now now...

Have you actually listened to Focals with the 'right' amplifacation? Or did you read it in a mag

Don't question me: I almost purchased a pair of 714V before I found the RS6s at a £150 discount. So yes: 714 Chorus JM Lab-Focal, 714V (Arcam and Nad amplification) and 807V with the Leema.

Anything else you wish to interrogate me with?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been to David Wren to demo Harbeth speakers. Nice chap.

I think I prefer the warmer side of neutral – if I detect any harshness or brightness at all it puts me off whatever kit I'm listening to.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
floyd droid said:
FennerMachine said:

Now now...

Don't question me: I almost purchased a pair of 714V before I found the RS6s at a £150 discount. So yes: 714 Chorus JM Lab-Focal, 714V (Arcam and Nad amplification) and 807V with the Leema.

Only when will you be moving your Leema on?

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
floyd droid said:
FennerMachine said:

Now now...

Only when will you be moving your Leema on?

Only if the headphone socket goes t**s up again.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi FM

Given what you are trying to achieve, and the budget you have available, I would be looking at amps from Sugden, Unison Research Unico Series, Pathos, Audio Analogue and Electrocompaniet.

Also,you should definitely hear some Valve amps from the likes of Icon Audio, Pure Sound (A30) and Unison Research.

IMO. You should be trying something like a Sugden A21 with some Harbeths or Proacs.

I have heard quite a lot of Focals (on various amps), from their expensive Utopia range, to their new Arias. For my taste, I find them too forward, unless paired with a very smooth amp......and even then, there are others I prefer. My local dealer has found them difficult to sell, and finds Tannoy suits a greater variety of tastes.

IMO. The speakers you have been looking at, are certainly in the right ballpark, and as others have suggested, it may take the right amp to get you the sound you're looking for. I would also suggest Sonus Faber as a must listen.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
I've been to David Wren to demo Harbeth speakers. Nice chap.

I think I prefer the warmer side of neutral – if I detect any harshness or brightness at all it puts me off whatever kit I'm listening to.

Dave is an excelent guy, so laid back, almost horizontal ;) Known him for many years, first contact late 70's when he had his shop at Radlett and I worked round the corner. He is a bit limited, he sells what he likes, which I supose is a good recomendation?

To get the best from valves you have to do a bit of valve brand swaping (called 'rolling'). I did a lot of 'rolling' ended up with all cheap valves, they out performed the fancy priced 'audiofile types'. As I say, now have the sound I like, detailed, good base, no edge at the top end and slightly warm over all, a relaxing, listen all night sound. The system presents fantastic detail, powerfull base, reality and musicality, I'm very happy. Obviously if you go this rout I can give you the brands and where to get . . . saves all that trial and error I went through. I had help, but as my set up was very different, I still had to do the suck it and see bit.

Valves are very hands on, for me, it gives that extra pleasure and understanding, thats me of course, many on here thing I'm totaly gar, gar . . . perhaps they are right? . . . I dont do much box swapping . . . :?

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts