Quad 21L2 & Quad L2 centre

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Anyone know anything about these speakers?

Would love to hear what they are like as an upgrade for my Q Acoustics?

I have seen pictures of the 'Cherry' veneer faded under the grill area, which I realise can happen with real wood veneer, but would that happen on the Piano black version?

Thanks.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I've just been told by a Quad stockist that the 21L2's are best with classical type music, because they are a very detailed sound.

Monitor Audio speakers are better for contempory music.....

Is this correct, or is it a case of got no Quad's in stock (which they didn't), so lets move the buyer to something we do have in stock?

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I had a L-Center, 11L's and 12L's not the 2's, they have a very lean sound compared to the Monitor Audio setup I have now. As for music types I play rock classical and opera and the MA convey more emotion than the Quad's, more to my taste. the lacquer finish on the Quads is second to none though.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
As you see from my signature, I have the 21L2s and l2 centre (in piano black). Yes - the finish is beautiful and you don't need to worry about fading.

The 21L2s are in a completely different league to their smaller relations - I used to have the 12L2s and they're nothing like as good.

I cannot comment on the MA speakers, but the Quads have some real strengths. Imaging is fantastic and singers seem to be in the room with you. The level of detail is impressive, with small-scale ensembles of any kind presented brilliantly. Examples of CDs that sound particularly good: Steely Dan (Aja), Dire Straits (Sultans of Swing), Norah Jones, Cara Dillon, Bach (Dunedin Consort), Tallis Scholars.

I do think that large-scale rock music can sound a bit hard and shrill on occasions - my old Genesis CDs are not quite as full as I'd like.

As always, the balance with the rest of your kit will be crucial. I would certainly recommend listening to the Quads to see if you prefer them or the MAs - although they are 'out of fashion', you will find some very complementary reports from the US. You will find the 21L2s at a reduced price if you look hard enough.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your comments, Sorreltiger.

Found the 21L2's for £550 at the moment, but I see that their price can fluctuate a lot during time, and as they are 4/5 years old, I'm wondering if a new design might be imminent?

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
AFAIK, the cheapest price is £499 at Hutchinson's, Cheltenham. Some of the smaller Quad speakers have just been revised, but I don't know about the 21L2s.

It's perhaps worth adding that I went down the Quad route due to starting with the L-ite speaker package. In terms of home cinema, I couldn't wish for more.

I found my 21L2s (new) for less than £400, which was an irresistible bargain!!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks again.....

Is that place in Cheltenham on the High Street, by any chance.....?

Under £400 is a great bargain....

Think I'll contact Quad and see if a replacement is imminent.....

Thanks...

TRENDING THREADS