Quad 12L2 - what next?

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Ok - so I picked up a pair of brand new 12L2's for £260 - too good to pass up.

I'm going to use Van Damme blue 2x2.5mm speaker cable.

so, which stands?

should i go for the Atacama Aurora http://www.whathifi.com/review/atacama-aurora-6

or,

the Partington Ansa's http://www.whathifi.com/review/partington-ansa-60

Are the Atacama's worth the extra £50?

Are these stands too good / not good enough for this quality of speaker?

cheers

A

Anonymous

That's a good deal; they're brilliant speakers
smiley-wink.gif

If you can maybe look at getting a 2nd hand set of Partington Super Dreadnoughts or even some Atacama SE24's (if you can find them on eBay). Both are good sets of stands and once mass-loaded with atabites (much better than sand IMO and I've tried both side by side before you ask haha
smiley-tongue-out.gif
) they'll help the QUAD's sing!

If neither of those suit then the Atacama Ansa's will be good as well but so would the likes of the Atacama Nexus 6's or the SoundStyle Z2's... Again mass loaded they'll be brilliant
smiley-cool.gif

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
so the super dreadnoughts are significantly better than the other two?

do they come mass loaded or is that an extra expense on top?

A

Anonymous

tommyb said:
so the super dreadnoughts are significantly better than the other two? do they come mass loaded or is that an extra expense on top?

The Dreadnoughts are great stands and they already come with a resin that helps to weigh them down (it's in place under the bottom and top plates); however I have found that additional mass added to them helps them to make the speakers sing better

The QUAD's arent small speakers but they're not huge either (i.e. lime my RX2's) but they do benefit from good, sturdy stands under them

Dont get me wrong though; the Atacama Nexus 6 stands are still very good and even better when mass-loaded; as are the Atacama SE24's but you'll only be able to get them 2nd hand via eBay and the likes
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

I have 12L2's sat atop Partington Dreadnought Broadsides (what a name!), and they sound great. They initially sat on a pair of cheap Target stands, and the Dreadnoughts are a definite improvement - but I've no idea whether anything cheaper would sound just as good.

I think the benefits are greater the louder you have your music - the Dreads are like North Sea oil platforms and stay rock steady and keep your speakers decoupled even when your jeans are flapping round your shins to the deepest of dub reggae grooves.

The only problem I had after purchasing the Dreads was explaining to my wife why the oven was full of play sand from the Early Learning Centre, after I'd been baking it dry for ballast!

PS I got both the Dreads and the 12L2's 'cheap' (ex-demo) from reputable dealers online - it's worth really scouring the search engines for these.

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
so - when we're talking about mass loading - is this to fill the central colum, or ad extera weight to the base of the stand?

Do the Atacama SE24's need / provide the opportunity for mass loading?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts