Speaker cable choice for B&W MT60D.

ClassAct

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Recently purchased the Bowers & Wilikins MT60D package (will be purchasing the stands too). Several forums state that the M1's can only take a bare wire connection and that due the the fiddly set up nature of the speakers they cannot take cables with too thick a gauge. My initial choices were the Chord Odyssey and Chord Rumour. Plus I still want them terminated with banana plugs at the receiver end. However these may be too thick and also I wonder if they are over kill for this kind of satellite set up. They're not cheap at £25/15 per metre either.

Other choices I've considered are the Van den Hul Clearwater due to its good write up and pliability which would make connecting easier. Also the Audioquest-flx-slip-144 is an option too. I realise some of these insulation sheaths can be stripped back if needs be but would also consider if terminating them with spades is an option.

Thoughts would be much appreciated, especially from owners of the system, many thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

ClassAct said:
Recently purchased the Bowers & Wilikins MT60D package (will be purchasing the stands too). Several forums state that the M1's can only take a bare wire connection and that due the the fiddly set up nature of the speakers they cannot take cables with too thick a gauge. My initial choices were the Chord Odyssey and Chord Rumour. Plus I still want them terminated with banana plugs at the receiver end. However these may be too thick and also I wonder if they are over kill for this kind of satellite set up. They're not cheap at £25/15 per metre either.

Other choices I've considered are the Van den Hul Clearwater due to its good write up and pliability which would make connecting easier. Also the Audioquest-flx-slip-144 is an option too. I realise some of these insulation sheaths can be stripped back if needs be but would also consider if terminating them with spades is an option.

Thoughts would be much appreciated, especially from owners of the system, many thanks.

I used these with them:

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/qed-silver-micro-speaker-cable-p-827.html#.U3C3pCe9KSM

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi there.

If you are interested in Chord Company speaker cables for your system my advice would be go onto the Chord Company website and ask the cable doctors. http://www.chord.co.uk/cable-doctor/

Tell them the system and speakers you have, the budget you are working with and they will recommend the best cable for you. They would be happy to terminate one end with B-Plugs but you could save yourself quite a bit of money without the termination and binding the cable straight onto the binding posts of your receiver. Your choice of course as I know what a pain it is to do.

I trust Nigel and David and they have helped me the same way quite a few times.

Good luck.

The able Madman (Glacialpath) :rockout:

P.S. you might have to wait a few days for a responce but it's worth it.

Hi ClassAct

You should also look at using standard 79 strand OFC speaker cables as i feel these will be more then good enough for MT60 speakers.

Fwiw, we recently had a system set up which consisted of an Audiolab 8200AP, Plinius Odean, Monitor Audio PL200, PLC150, PL100 and JL Audio Fathom f212 and two E-112's. Cables used were basic interconnects with standard 79 and 500 strand OFC speaker cables.

You should also be able to pick up standard 79 strand speaker cables from most local electrical shops for little money.

Btw, what amplification are you using?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ClassAct

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Cheers to everyone for the swift replies :)

To throw a curveball into the mix I've spoken to Superfi today, ( who I purchased the package from) and they have confirmed the M1 satellites are bare wire connection. They've offered me Chord Rumour terminated at receiver end 17 metres worth for £70, this also includes a Chord Crimson subwoofer cable worth £40. I failed to mention in the original post that I also require a subwoofer cable. I think the banana plugs instead of putting it straight into the receivers binding posts would be much better for peace of mind as I have to agree I find them a pain.

I think it's certainly worth a punt to ask the cable doctors at Chord and canvass their opinion on what's best. I didn't realise they had this service, thanks Glacialpath.

Heard that the QED are good choice due to their thin gauge and some MT60D owners find they're a good match. Serveral of you state OFC 79 strand copper cable will just be as suitable so I think it's worthwhile for me to get that priced up to from a place like Maplin etc.

To answer Rick's question the amplification is being provided by a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030 receiver. This was bought at the same time so got a great discount on all the components :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi ClassAct

Your welcome and thanks for your reply.

Standard 79 strand OFC speaker cables - good enough for a £35k system. Think about it.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Indeed, that says it all.

Also I have just wired my room for 16 speakers using the OFC cable, funny enough my system is 35k :rofl:

duaplex said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi ClassAct

Standard 79 strand OFC speaker cables - good enough for a £35k system. Think about it.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Also I have just wired my room for 16 speakers using the OFC cable, funny enough my system is 35k :rofl:

Hi duaplex

But will your system include a Fathom f212 :twisted: :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ClassAct

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Looks like it is settled then. Guess it's the same sort of scenario with hdmi cables as long as they are well made get the lowest price you can.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
duaplex said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi ClassAct

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi duaplex

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

No but it will include two F113's :)

Don't make me buy two F212's...... Because I will!

duaplex said:
MUSICRAFT said:
duaplex said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi ClassAct

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi duaplex

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

No but it will include two F113's :)

Don't make me buy two F212's...... Because I will!

Hi duaplex

Two Fathom f113's :twisted: :twisted: Great news
smiley-smile.gif
But on the other hand with all things being equal two Fathom f113's v two Fathom f212's :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I am thinking :? I am thinking :? Actually why am i wasting my time thinking :grin: When you hear the extra quality of bass and when your upper body also experiences another level of punch/slam that a Fathom f212 produces then it's not easy going back and experiencing bass from a lower height.

Btw, i am not making you buy Fathom f212's
smiley-smile.gif
If you do change your mind though then just make sure that you get £35k of reinforcement put in :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Noooooooooooooo!!!!! :rofl:

I know what you mean I have heard it with the bass up heigh hitting the body. It is very impressive when its at different heights. But in a room like mine its going to launch my roof into space :O

duaplex said:
Noooooooooooooo!!!!! :rofl:

I know what you mean I have heard it with the bass up heigh hitting the body. It is very impressive when its at different heights. But in a room like mine its going to launch my roof into space :O

Hi duaplex

Now that you've had some more time to think about the Fathom f212 ..... :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts