Partington Super Dreadnoughts Vs Atacama HMS 1.1

randomfeaturezero

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I am considering the Partington Super Dreadnoughts or the Atacama HMS 1.1 speaker stands to upgrade to. I am looking for opinions on which would be best. Details I have noted so far are that the Dreadnoughts are Graphite whereas my speakers are black (although this does not matter too much if the sound is better than anything else), but that more than one review of the Dreadnoughts on Reevoo suggests a 'poor finish' and 'flaws in the finish'. Does anyone know what this is all about? I can't see any way to contact individual reviewers on Reevoo to ask them. However I like the way there is very little assembly required out of the box, and that What hifi say these are so good they use them as test stands for standmounters.

My first choice, had I not read up about some people's dissatisfaction with the finish, would have been the Partingtons. The other choice is the Atacama HMS 1.1. Well-reviewed by HiFi World but not reviewed at all by What Hifi, not sure why. They look blacker to match my speakers better but basically I would be interested in what other folk would choose out of these two stands, and anyone who might know what the 'flaws in the finish' of the Partingtons actually means. Therefore I am particularly interested to hear from owners of either stand.

Any feedback is appreciated!

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I use a pair of the Partingtons, and my stands look black - if they are graphite, then there is little difference in colour between graphite and black.

The finish on mine looks as good as new, so I do not know what the reviews about 'poor finish' are referring to.

I have never used Atacama stands, so I cannot provide any feedback about them.

I am happy with the Partingtons, and have no plans to replace them. However if I did need some extra stands for new speakers (ie for a home cinema system), then I would consider Atacama as well.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Partingtons they are very well finished in my pair. I would not worry about the sound so much as the looks with stands. If you want a more modern look go for atacama but if you (like me) like a more industrial look, then go for dreadnaughts. Fill 3/4 with sand.

I would get a life. Upgrading whatever you have is not going to make any difference except aesthetically. ..... Partingtons all the way..... doh!

At the end of the day they are simply speaker stands. Just get the height right.

P.S.: no defects in my Partington Super Dreadnoughts, which is more than can be said of my Atacama SE24's.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I owned the Atacama HMS 1.1's. They were well-made, were very heavy (even before mass loading) and provide a very sturdy base indeed for my former MA Gold GX50's. Aesthetically they suited the Golds very well.

I notice since (coincidentally after suggesting it to them at the Bristol show) that they now offer bamboo bases for the HMS 1.1's which may suit some decors better than the all-in Darth Vader look.

My only concern about all speaker stands that are made of metal tubes is that they create a problem you subsequently have to solve. All metal tubes ring. So although mass loading reduces this, does it completely eliminate it? Not sure.

randomfeaturezero

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks for all the replies.

Does anyone know how many 7kg tubs of Atabites I would need to fill the Super Dreadnoughts about two thirds up? (I have 4 tubs aleady which filled up some quite large stands...and I assume this will be enough...?)

Thanks

randomfeaturezero said:
Many thanks for all the replies.

Does anyone know how many 7kg tubs of Atabites I would need to fill the Super Dreadnoughts about two thirds up? (I have 4 tubs aleady which filled up some quite large stands...and I assume this will be enough...?)

Thanks

Sell them. You don't need them in Superdreadnoughts, nothing to fill. Well there is actually but the 4 very thin tubes are not worth filling.

randomfeaturezero

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I am *perhaps* about to buy some Super Dreadnoughts, but I am usually dead against spending that kind of money on something and having to use gaffer tape. I was all set to buy them then I saw this topic about people needing to gaffer tape the 'loose' bung for the centre tube, which seems alarming for stands of that cost..

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/should-i-fill-my-super-dreadnoughts

) But do you know if the Partingtons have improved the design of the loose bungs? Would they really fall out without tape? Don't you think it's a bit strange that Partington have made these wonderful stands in terms of looks and sound, achieved a what hifi review of five stars and then this problem comes up? Is it possible the bungs feel loose but are secure enough? I am just wondering why there is no comment about it in the What HiFi review, or any deduction of 'stars', given this problematic issue. Could it be the bungs are meant to be like that?

Also, I am not very good with instructions. So if I DO bite the bullet and buy these stands and need to use some tape, could somebody please provide an explanation for stupid people, regarding which part I would need to tape around and in which way. Do I need to tape around the square bung before inserting it, or tape over it once in place? I would prefer not to tape inside the pole but I understand that is a suggestion too. Please be very clear - DIY and me don't mix on any level!

I would greatly appreciate it if you could contribute a reply to either this post, or my recent one

Here :

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/another-question-about-super-dreadnoughts

I hope that you can reply and I'll check both this topic and the new one for a while.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS